Your favorite Stephen King adaptation(s)

What's your favorite Stephen King adaptation?

• Total voters
I didn't try too hard to make sense of it. I just took it literally, that a weird looking psycho was in the area by coincidence. I really didn't care anymore at that point though/

Yeah, it wasn't great. The trailer actually didn't do much for me so I went in with low expectations and those expectations were met. I was hoping for a pleasant surprise but didn't get it.

On the plus side though, Carla Gugino gave a great performance and she looks amazing for any age, but especially for being in her mid-40s. And you gotta give TRT Bruce Greenwood some credit, very impressive physique for 61-years-old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way underrated

Not as good as IT but it was very enjoyable

Yeah, as I mentioned in that post it seems to mostly be forgotten today, unfortunately. No one ever brings it up when discussing King's films/TV projects.

Yeah, it wasn't great. The trailer actually didn't do much for me so I went in with low expectations and those expectations were met. I was hoping for a pleasant surprise but didn't get it.

On the plus side thought, Carla Gugino gave a great performance and she looks amazing for any age, but especially for being in her mid-40s. And you gotta give TRT Bruce Greenwood some credit, very impressive physique for 61-years-old.

Yeah, dude was in shape for the movie. Had to double check the credits to make sure it wasn't Van Damme.

Had to go with The Shining, but I'd like to give a very strong shout-out to Storm of the Century.

Some of you guys may remember the thread I made on that one a little while back. I just watched it for the first time a few months ago and really thought it was a well-made and entertaining mini-series. Unfortunately, it seems to be mostly forgotten today.

If you've never watched Storm of the Century, then I really think you should give it a look.

200px-Stormcentury.jpg

I loved the mini series. Watched it when I was a kid so it really had an impact on me.

I LOVE The Shining, Shawshank, and Stand By Me, but think all three of those are better/ really different from the books/novellas.

So I chose IT as my favorite adaptation. I think it nailed so many things from the kid side of the book and was a blast to watch.

I just read they’re making The Tommyknockers. I hope it’s well done I love that book.

It's between The Shining (Kubrick), Misery, and Shawshank. All three are excellent.

The Stand was very awesome

I picked The Shining just because I know Stephen King is butthurt over it and King is such an insufferable piece of shit.
Children of the Corn is probably my favorite.

All right, I have Rose Red. Probably will check it out within the next few days.

Alright! I don't think you will be disappointed...for me...the movie...the mansion...just draws me in...

Like it or not your thing...let me know what you thought about it.

I picked The Shining just because I know Stephen King is butthurt over it and King is such an insufferable piece of shit.
Children of the Corn is probably my favorite.

Well if I wrote a story and somebody came along who made it better than I ever could I'd be pissed as well

Its pretty normal to be pissed

Alright! I don't think you will be disappointed...for me...the movie...the mansion...just draws me in...

Like it or not your thing...let me know what you thought about it.

Just finished Part I.

The criticism that I've heard most about this production is that it's dull. I have no idea what happens in the next two episodes, but just judging from this first part, my thought is that whether or not you're going to be into it has a lot to do with your interest in the paranormal and everything that goes along with that.

Luckily for me, I have that interest. I believe in the possibility of the paranormal. I think that ghosts and psychic phenomena and all that sort of stuff may actually exist and it's something I've always been curious about. So I actually enjoyed the first episode. I think the story is interesting and it also had an agreeable mood and vibe.

With that said, I could see why someone who is NOT interested in that sort of thing might find it dull, because after an hour and a half if you're just purely looking at the plot beats, not a whole lot has really happened.

I was surprised to see not just one but two actors who I have been watching in shows that are currently airing.

There's Jimmi Simpson from Westworld.

MV5BOTg1NzA1MzYwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQ2NDU0MDI@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

And Matt Ross from Silicon Valley.

Matt-Ross-700x300.jpg

I'm not sure that I've seen either of those guys in anything but those two shows (if I did I didn't notice) so it was interesting to see 12-years-younger versions of both of them pop up in Rose Red.

So yeah, I'm liking it so far. Not loving it, but liking it. And that's good enough to keep going.

On to Part II.

Just finished Part I.

The criticism that I've heard most about this production is that it's dull. I have no idea what happens in the next two episodes, but just judging from this first part, my thought is that whether or not you're going to be into it has a lot to do with your interest in the paranormal and everything that goes along with that.

Luckily for me, I have that interest. I believe in the possibility of the paranormal. I think that ghosts and psychic phenomena and all that sort of stuff may actually exist and it's something I've always been curious about. So I actually enjoyed the first episode. I think the story is interesting and it also had an agreeable mood and vibe.

With that said, I could see why someone who is NOT interested in that sort of thing might find it dull, because after an hour and a half if you're just purely looking at the plot beats, not a whole lot has really happened.

I was surprised to see not just one but two actors who I have been watching in shows that are currently airing.

There's Jimmi Simpson from Westworld.

MV5BOTg1NzA1MzYwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQ2NDU0MDI@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

And Matt Ross from Silicon Valley.

Matt-Ross-700x300.jpg

I'm not sure that I've seen either of those guys in anything but those two shows (if I did I didn't notice) so it was interesting to see 12-years-younger versions of both of them pop up in Rose Red.

So yeah, I'm liking it so far. Not loving it, but liking it. And that's good enough to keep going.

On to Part II.

Thanks for getting back! You hit it on the head...this one does not grab you by the throat and take you on a ride through hell. You are right...if someone is interested in the paranormal and all and enjoys the build up...Rose Red is nice!

I have not watched in so long...I think they are all at Rose Red by the end of the first? The mood and vibe is what got me hooked versus an all out haunting from the start although I enjoy those kind as well.

It is a slower build up to wake up Rose Red but worth it for me...lol...although like you say...I have no problem with someone who says it sucks...hahaha...and some people have told me that.

Once they wake her up...things pick up but isn't going to be scene after scene of horror.

Interesting you noticed two actors that are in something else currently. It's always cool to see some of their earlier stuff.

Thanks for the update and enjoy the rest! As much as I love it...it really isn't one that you watch again and again. Let me know!

Thanks for getting back! You hit it on the head...this one does not grab you by the throat and take you on a ride through hell. You are right...if someone is interested in the paranormal and all and enjoys the build up...Rose Red is nice!

I have not watched in so long...I think they are all at Rose Red by the end of the first? The mood and vibe is what got me hooked versus an all out haunting from the start although I enjoy those kind as well.

It is a slower build up to wake up Rose Red but worth it for me...lol...although like you say...I have no problem with someone who says it sucks...hahaha...and some people have told me that.

Once they wake her up...things pick up but isn't going to be scene after scene of horror.

Interesting you noticed two actors that are in something else currently. It's always cool to see some of their earlier stuff.

Thanks for the update and enjoy the rest! As much as I love it...it really isn't one that you watch again and again. Let me know!

I just finished it last night.

All I thought, I thought it was worth the watch, but it does start to drag a bit near the end. Instead of three episodes and nearly 4.5 hours of runtime, the story might have been better served if they had tightened it up to only two episodes.

I did like the overall storyline and the house is also pretty cool. The performers did a pretty good job as well.

I immediately understood the call-back to the real-life story of the Winchester House. Not sure if you're familiar with that, but if not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Mystery_House

There's also some interesting production information on the series' Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Red_(miniseries)#Production

All in all, I'd say that if you're a fan of Stephen King or a fan of haunted house stories, then Rose Red is probably worth a look. But if you don't usually get into that kind of thing, then Rose Red probably won't do anything to change your mind.

I guess I would give it a about a 6.5. I'm glad to have seen it once, but it's not on the level of something like Storm of the Century.

I just finished it last night.

All I thought, I thought it was worth the watch, but it does start to drag a bit near the end. Instead of three episodes and nearly 4.5 hours of runtime, the story might have been better served if they had tightened it up to only two episodes.

I did like the overall storyline and the house is also pretty cool. The performers did a pretty good job as well.

I immediately understood the call-back to the real-life story of the Winchester House. Not sure if you're familiar with that, but if not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Mystery_House

There's also some interesting production information on the series' Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Red_(miniseries)#Production

All in all, I'd say that if you're a fan of Stephen King or a fan of haunted house stories, then Rose Red is probably worth a look. But if you don't usually get into that kind of thing, then Rose Red probably won't do anything to change your mind.

I guess I would give it a about a 6.5. I'm glad to have seen it once, but it's not on the level of something like Storm of the Century.

Thanks for your reply! I did forget that it does drag on for some time near the end. I agree it would have been better served up as two episodes. I didn't mind all the character development for quite a bit of the first as I feel you get to know them well.

I know the history of the Winchester house and thanks for the links! I watched Winchester recently and thought it was an ok movie. I have to re watch Storm of the Century as I have not seen it since it was on T.V. I bought Rose Red on vhs back in 2004 for $5 at wallyworld and watched it then and have it on dvd for several years but have not watched it again yet...lol. Too many other movies to watch!

1. Misery
2. The Green Mile
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. The Shining
5. 1408

All of them were very well-directed, but Misery is in my opinion a very underrated modern masterpiece.

Back