Your Favorite Movie SEMI-FINALS: 1980s vs 1990s

Make it happen, bros!

• Predator

• Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm suffering massive cognitive dissonance over this poll.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
When movies are this perfect, you gotta judge them by their flaws.

The thing about T2 is, it has no flaws.

And Predator's overall flaw is all the characters are one-dimentional. They look cool, are played well, say awesome one-liners... but none of them have any arc.

Hell, it could be said the Predator has more character based on the quotes about him.

Before you Predator-lovers start biting my head off, that's the ONE criticism I have for the otherwise masterpiece of cinema.

The fact that Predator is losing this poll tells me everything I need to know about who on this forum is and who is not a God damned sexual Tyrannosaurus

If I can't pick Pulp Fiction I'll choose T2

In terms of FX I think its actually held up very well, a lot better than more CGI heavy action films that followed. Jon's character is I spose very of his time but why not? I never really got the dislike many have there as ultimately its ment to be a relatively realistic teenager.

Really for me T2 is the last gasp of the classic era of more ambitious blockbusters that started off with Jaws/Star Wars and was driven by directors. After that blockbusters just seemed to dift into studio controlled CGI schlock until Jackson mixed things up again with Lord of the Rings.

When movies are this perfect, you gotta judge them by their flaws.

The thing about T2 is, it has no flaws.

John Connor. He's a whiny bitch throughout, but he's supposed to be mankind's greatest hope? He spends the entire movie teaching the Terminator catchphrases instead of doing anything useful. And, there's quite a number of plot conveniences in the movie (like how the Terminator can drive down a road in LA and just randomly bump into John Connor just in the nick of time to help save him from the T-1000 or how Sarah makes her convenient escape just as the T-1000 is coming for her, etc...).

John Connor. He's a whiny bitch throughout, but he's supposed to be mankind's greatest hope? He spends the entire movie teaching the Terminator catchphrases instead of doing anything useful. And, there's quite a number of plot conveniences in the movie (like how the Terminator can drive down a road in LA and just randomly bump into John Connor just in the nick of time to help save him from the T-1000 or how Sarah makes her convenient escape just as the T-1000 is coming for her, etc...).

John Connor is freakin 12.

You expected him to be a badass coming out of the womb?

For as horrible as most child actors are, he did a fine job overall.

John Connor is freakin 12.

You expected him to be a badass coming out of the womb?

For as horrible as most child actors are, he did a fine job overall.

No, I just wanted him not to be annoying cunt where the writers seemed to more concerned with catchphrases than his actual character. It's like they were trying to have him be a 'cool', edgy teenager who teaches his robot bodyguard to be 'cool' too, but instead he comes off little more than an annoying, whiny douche forcing catchphrases on his pet robot. "Say 'No problemo' and you'll be the coolest robot evarrrr!" Too much shit dialogue. But, hey, it's nice that a delinquent with a nice criminal record thinks his foster parents are dicks because they want him to clean his room...

If I'm not mistaken, he is supposed to be a badass some years after the events of T2. T2 is set in '95 and in the original timeline Judgment Day happened in '97, and the resistance formed a bit after that. The events in this movie opened up his eyes after thinking his mother was delusional. My point wasn't that he was supposed to be a badass at 10 years old, but more that I just didn't care for his character and was more rooting for the T-1000 to kill him than wanting to see him survive.

I really like the movie, but I just didn't care for John Connor.

No, I just wanted him not to be annoying cunt where the writers seemed to more concerned with catchphrases than his actual character. It's like they were trying to have him be a 'cool', edgy teenager who teaches his robot bodyguard to be 'cool' too, but instead he comes off little more than an annoying, whiny douche forcing catchphrases on his pet robot. "Say 'No problemo' and you'll be the coolest robot evarrrr!" Too much shit dialogue. But, hey, it's nice that a delinquent with a nice criminal record thinks his foster parents are dicks because they want him to clean his room...

If I'm not mistaken, he is supposed to be a badass some years after the events of T2. T2 is set in '95 and in the original timeline Judgment Day happened in '97, and the resistance formed a bit after that. The events in this movie opened up his eyes after thinking his mother was delusional. My point wasn't that he was supposed to be a badass at 10 years old, but more that I just didn't care for his character and was more rooting for the T-1000 to kill him than wanting to see him survive.

I really like the movie, but I just didn't care for John Connor.

Take any fictional or historical badass, go back into their past far enough and you'll eventually find a whiney little bitch.

And there's been several soldiers that recieved the Medal of Honor for heroic acts on the battlefield, that weren't neccessarily the best of their guaduating class in Basic Training.

And complaining about a 12 year old Edward Furlong's performance is extremely nit-picky. Especially when its noted that was his first acting gig, ever.

If I had to get nit-picky about Predator, the most obvious thing to bring up is what saves Dutch's life... mud.

Take any fictional or historical badass, go back into their past far enough and you'll eventually find a whiney little bitch.

And there's been several soldiers that recieved the Medal of Honor for heroic acts on the battlefield, that weren't neccessarily the best of their guaduating class in Basic Training.

And complaining about a 12 year old Edward Furlong's performance is extremely nit-picky. Especially when its noted that was his first acting gig, ever.

If I had to get nit-picky about Predator, the most obvious thing to bring up is what saves Dutch's life... mud.

<JagsKiddingMe>

What are you babbling about? If another movie has a whiny bitch of a character, then that character probably won't be liked either. I'm not even sure what the point of your second sentence is. I'm complaining about the character and not so much about Furlong. He played the role he was given.

But, it's nice you've avoided my real criticism of the movie showing that it certainly has flaws.

<JagsKiddingMe>

What are you babbling about?

13272t.jpg

If another movie has a whiny bitch of a character, then that character probably won't be liked either. I'm not even sure what the point of your second sentence is. I'm complaining about the character and not so much about Furlong. He played the role he was given.

But, it's nice you've avoided my real criticism of the movie showing that it certainly has flaws.

To that, I agree.

It's your criticism.

To which, I don't subscribe to.

13272t.jpg

To that, I agree.

It's your criticism.

To which, I don't subscribe to.

No, the point wasn't relevant to anything so I'm not sure why you tried to make it. You misconstrued what I was saying earlier, but oh well, it's not a big deal. You like his character and I don't.

It's not that uncommon of an opinion:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18455_5-movies-that-were-one-flaw-away-from-being-classics.html

"He arbitrarily stopped in 1995, giving us a 10 year old John Connor who, upon repeated viewing, is so obnoxious that you spend most of the movie wanting to see him shot in the face, fate of humanity be damned."

Back