Your favorite movie of 2011

Pick your favorite movie of 2011!

• Warrior

• Captain America

• The Help

• X-Men: First Class

• The Cabin in the Woods

• The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher's remake)

• Drive

• Rise of the Planet of the Apes

• Moneyball

• Fast Five

• Horrible Bosses

• Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

• Thor

• The Artist

• Super 8

• The Raid: Redemption

• Hugo

• The Tree of Life

• J. Edgar

• Source Code

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the put Cabin in the Woods in the wrong poll.

The Cabin in the Woods was slated for wide release on February 5, 2010[8][16] and then delayed until January 14, 2011 so the film could be converted to 3D.[17][18] However, on June 17, 2010, MGM announced that the film would be delayed indefinitely due to ongoing financial difficulties at the studio.[19][20]

The world premiere was on March 9, 2012 at the South by Southwest film festival in Austin, Texas.[27]

Hmm, interesting.

Google has 2011 listed as its release year. IMDB says 2012 on the actual Cabin in the Woods page, but then has it listed on the "most popular films of 2011" list.

Lots of good movies that year but Warrior edges out Drive for me. Warrior just checks too many boxes for me.

Well-researched, compelling script, great performances, great music, realistic fights, and it's about MMA. Drive is a very close #2 for me though.

apocalpse-now-avance-poster.jpg

Went with Cabin in the Woods for it taking the horror movie genre and poking fun at it. Something different and funny for me. There's plenty I did enjoy though.

For some reason I thought you would go with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

I've pimped some Le Carre adaptations round here before. But Drive is probably my favourite film post-2000

It's that good?

I submitted a copy of it to my local University as scientific proof that silent films are inherently better than talkies. The fools have yet to muster a response. Thus proving that my thesis was right all along!

Yeah, it's probably one of my all-time favorite drama films, though I've only seen it once. I just love the craft of it. It's really one of those movies that speaks through it's visuals in an simple yet masterful way.

Though... that said... I appear to be quite alone in that assessement.

btw; I'm waiting for you to make an argument as to why Coriolanus is the best movie of the year. You have 30 seconds.

giphy.gif

I submitted a copy of it to my local University as scientific proof that silent films are inherently better than talkies. The fools have yet to muster a response. Thus proving that my thesis was right all along!

Yeah, it's probably one of my all-time favorite drama films, though I've only seen it once. I just love the craft of it. It's really one of those movies that speaks through it's visuals in an simple yet masterful way.

Though... that said... I appear to be quite alone in that assessement.

btw; I'm waiting for you to make an argument as to why Coriolanus is the best movie of the year. You have 30 seconds.

giphy.gif

And yet The Artist still says 0 votes.

And yet The Artist still says 0 votes.

Huh. I looked for it but I must have missed it.

You also listed it on the First Post, so I just assumed that you listed it along the other notables that didn't make the poll.

Huh. I looked for it but I must have missed it.

You also listed it on the First Post, so I just assumed that you listed it along the other notables that didn't make the poll.

Oh, my bad.

I didn't originally have it on the poll and then remembered it won Best Picture. And figured I couldn't leave the BP winner out.

Guess I didn't remove it from the list in the OP.

Captain America from the list.

Two of my other favorites were Crazy, Stupid, Love and Goon. Liev Schreiber was awesome in his role in Goon.

To tell the truth I have yet to see it. I used to prefer to watch a performance of any given Shakespeare before reading the text, but I've since reversed this position, and I haven't read Coriolanus either, so it may be a long while before I get to it.

I'm tempted to just watch Fiennes' film version soon. The modern setting looks intriguing, and I really like the cast.

Last edited:
Warrior. MMA bias definitely plays a role, but I LOVE that movie.

Cabin in the Woods and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are both close.

Not the best year.

I'll go with Moneyball. It was pretty well done and entertaining for a movie about a baseball GM that features almost no actual baseball game scenes. I rewatch it more frequently than others on the list that I've seen and liked.

After that, I really enjoyed Bernie and of course, Killer Joe

Also..Killer Joe gets extra points for its use of

Last edited:
The girl with the dragon tattoo. I had not seen the Euro versions of this film and was blown away by the story line and ending. I felt Rooney Mara had an Oscar worthy performance. It's too bad they decided not to complete the trilogy

WTF? How was someone like Matthew McConaughey just "not on your radar at all"? That's crazy talk. He was one of the fastest rising talents of the 90s.

Really? Seems like it wasn't all that long ago, mid 00s maybe, that he really started to regularly land big roles.

Back