• American Beauty

• The Blair Witch Project

• Eyes Wide Shut

• Sleepy Hollow

• Any Given Sunday

• Office Space

• Cruel Intentions

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have to tell you, I remember sitting down to watch American Beauty after it was nominated for Best Picture and I didn't really get what all the hype was about. I thought it was an OK movie but certainly not the best film of the year.
Didn't do much for me either.

Sixth Sense is dated? What do you feel is dated about it?
Compared to Fight Club it is. It just seems like a really long time ago. All of it, the style of clothing was dated, Mel Gibson, Toni Collette, Haley Joel Osment kid, all yesterday's actors, the cinematography.

Compared to Fight Club it is. It just seems like a really long time ago. All of it, the style of clothing was dated, Mel Gibson, Toni Collette, Haley Joel Osment kid, all yesterday's actors, the cinematography.

Mel Gibson was Signs. You're thinking of Bruce Willis.

The Matrix all the way. It's a great concept and they did a great job with it. It's on TV nearly every weekend and I still watch it, kind of like Tombstone.

this poll makes me feel old. I was a 9th grader when all of these came out. i only really watched 3 of them. but i really enjoyed each of them. but the matrix by far is my favorite movie of that year.

Sure, though to be fair, Pitt and Norton are no spring chickens these days. They've aged just as much.
They've still got teeth in the game though.
A big part of it is likely how The Sixth Sense was huge for a few months then died down and nobody cared anymore.
Whereas revisits to Fight Club are much more common.

They've still got teeth in the game though.
A big part of it is likely how The Sixth Sense was huge for a few months then died down and nobody cared anymore.
Whereas revisits to Fight Club are much more common.

Yeah, well one thing I'll say is that Fight Club has more replay value and has a lot more in terms of talking points. There's a lot of intellectual substance to Fight Club.

The Sixth Sense is just a fun mystery/horror film with a great twist. But it does do a hell of a job on that level.

Wow, what a great year for film! So many original stories... i voted matrix, but lots of close runners.

Yeah, well one thing I'll say is that Fight Club has more replay value and has a lot more in terms of talking points. There's a lot of intellectual substance to Fight Club.

The Sixth Sense is just a fun mystery/horror film with a great twist. But it does do a hell of a job on that level.
You know it, both were amazing but everytime I watch Fight Club I pick up a little something extra that I missed. Lynch jammed it full of subtle treats.

As much as I love Fight Club, The Matrix is literally the perfect film. Why is there even a poll?

As much as I love Fight Club, The Matrix is literally the perfect film. Why is there even a poll?

107 people decided that something other than The Matrix was their favorite film of the year. I guess that's why there's a poll.

107 people decided that something other than The Matrix was their favorite film of the year. I guess that's why there's a poll.

Well fight club is still somewhat of cult classic whereas Matrix 1 has more of a universal appeal across a broad spectrum (science fiction, action, philosophy, religion). And Office Space is in third place lmao. Great comedy but nowhere near the same league as the first two.

Well fight club is still somewhat of cult classic whereas Matrix 1 has more of a universal appeal across a broad spectrum (science fiction, action, philosophy, religion). And Office Space is in third place lmao. Great comedy but nowhere near the same league as the first two.

Well just speaking for myself, I'm holding down the fort with @HHJ and @RTL on TEAM MUMMY. Our numbers are small, but we are strong.

However, I enjoyed a lot of the movies in the poll.

Well just speaking for myself, I'm holding down the fort with @HHJ and @RTL on TEAM MUMMY. Our numbers are small, but we are strong.

However, I enjoyed a lot of the movies in the poll.
I find myself watching THE MUMMY over and over these days.

Though EYES WIDE SHUT would win the award for best quality film, the first two acts of MUMMY are excellent, and reminiscent of the lost 1990s action-adventure flick. Perfect lightheartedness to start off with relatable protagonists, a backstory to justify the villain's presence, and a downward spiral into the folklore of Egypt's curses.

Love it, love it, love it, and wish they made more movies like these.

(Actually, wish I could just go back in time and experience the 1990s all over again!)

How is there no choice for OTHER???? I demand satisfaction! Since my pick isn't on the list nor is the conspicuously absent 'other', here is my top 5 faves (not what I think are the best, but are favs):

5. The Matrix
4. Office Space
3. American Pie
2. Fight Club
1. The Ninth Gate

Everybody says that the military dad was gay. But I never saw it that way. I think he was so spun out and lost at that point that he tried to kiss Lester as some sort of feeble way to understand his son better...since he completely misinterpreted what was going on with his son and Lester. But I guess it's open to interpretation.
Interesting point. Never considered that.

Back