• The Blair Witch Project

• Eyes Wide Shut

• Sleepy Hollow

• Any Given Sunday

• Office Space

• Cruel Intentions

Results are only viewable after voting.

very underrated.

Very darkly funny in parts too- I remember losing it when Mohr is trying to calm down Wolfe when they are going to ged rid of the presumed dead Polley. "It's just the set. It's just like filming a scene. Say hi to Molly in wardrobe." Wolfe, (hysterical and whining) "Hiii Molly." Damn funny.

The scene with Jane Krakowski and William Fichtner too...Confederated Products...it's a different standard of product.

I thought the Vegas was stuff was comparably a little weak (still fun) but thought the Polley/Olyphant/Holmes segment and the Wolfe/Mohr/Fichtner stuff was great.

Last edited:
And then everything with the guys father, that super strict macho military persona to cover up that he's gay and just incredibly lonely.

Everybody says that the military dad was gay. But I never saw it that way. I think he was so spun out and lost at that point that he tried to kiss Lester as some sort of feeble way to understand his son better...since he completely misinterpreted what was going on with his son and Lester. But I guess it's open to interpretation.

Glad to see Sleepy Hollow get some love. It's a hell of a fun film and one of Burton's best. I've never felt like it gets the credit it deserves. It seems mostly forgotten now.

Agreed on Fight Club. I've seen it a few times just in the past few years and it could've been made yesterday as far as I'm concerned. Fincher is easily one of the best directors working today.

Yeah it pains me that Sleepy Hollow- which I believe was a solid hit at the time- really doesn't seem to get mentioned these days. I think it's definitely one of Burton's best. And in terms of the last twenty years of Burton's career, might very well be the best.

Go further back imo I'm ok with it

I'm looking at the median age of users on this forum and am thinking we should go with a year where many members were alive and got to experience the films when they first came out.

Yeah it pains me that Sleepy Hollow- which I believe was a solid hit at the time- really doesn't seem to get mentioned these days. I think it's definitely one of Burton's best. And in terms of the last twenty years of Burton's career, might very well be the best.

Frankly, I think it's probably my favorite movie of his, period. I know a lot of people will protest and say Beetlejuice, Batman and Edward Scissorhands should all be ranked ahead of it, but I've never enjoyed watching those films like I've enjoyed watching Sleepy Hollow.

That's not to say that those films aren't great, of course.

Frankly, I think it's probably my favorite movie of his, period. I know a lot of people will protest and say Beetlejuice, Batman and Edward Scissorhands should all be ranked ahead of it, but I've never enjoyed watching those films like I've enjoyed watching Sleepy Hollow.

That's not to say that those films aren't great, of course.

For me only Batman and Batman Returns might be above it.

I think Edward Scissorhands is quality and Beetlejuice is really fun and innovative (plus Keaton is classic) but I like Sleepy Hollow better than both.

I also like Sweeney Todd a lot. As far as Burton from the past ten years goes, I think that's significantly better than most. Really sort of recaptures many of Burton's best aspects aesthetically and as many times as he paired Bonham Carter and Depp together, I think that might be their best pairing.

We need a best of 1998 thread too now:

Dark City, Armageddon, Saving Private Ryan, Blade, Mulan, There's Something about Mary, American History X, The Faculty, Ronin, Enemy of the State, Rush Hour, Fallen, Wild Things, Fear and Loathing, etc.
You forgot Shakespeare in Love

I also like Sweeney Todd a lot. As far as Burton from the past ten years goes, I think that's significantly better than most. Really sort of recaptures many of Burton's best aspects aesthetically and as many times as he paired Bonham Carter and Depp together, I think that might be their best pairing.

You could be right that Sweeney Todd is his best in the last decade, though there's not a whole lot to choose from.

I still haven't seen Big Eyes or Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Have you?

You could be right that Sweeney Todd is his best in the last decade, though there's not a whole lot to choose from.

I still haven't seen Big Eyes or Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Have you?

I saw Big Eyes and thought it was pretty good. Just didn't really jump out to me. Didn't see Peregrine's but I think it was pretty well-received, right?

I saw Big Eyes and thought it was pretty good. Just didn't really jump out to me.

Premise sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Didn't see Peregrine's but I think it was pretty well-received, right?

64% on RT so mixed reviews apparently. It looks like an imaginative film though so I'd like to see it.

I'm surprised the sixth sense isn't getting any love. For me it was close between sixth sense and matrix

very underrated.

Very darkly funny in parts too- I remember losing it when Mohr is trying to calm down Wolfe down when they are going to ged rid of the presumed dead Polley. "It's just the set. It's just like filming a scene. Say hi to Molly in wardrobe." Wolfe, (hysterical and whining) "Hiii Molly." Damn funny.

The scene with Jane Krakowski and William Fichtner too...Confederated Products...it's a different standard of product.

I thought the Vegas was stuff was comparably a little weak (still fun) but thought the Polley/Olyphant/Holmes segment and the Wolfe/Mohr/Fichtner stuff was great.

Lol!!! I also thought that was hilarious.

Everybody says that the military dad was gay. But I never saw it that way. I think he was so spun out and lost at that point that he tried to kiss Lester as some sort of feeble way to understand his son better...since he completely misinterpreted what was going on with his son and Lester. But I guess it's open to interpretation.

I think he was definitely a closet case. It makes his relationship with his son make sense. Back when being gay was more shunned culturally, a lot of closet guys embraced a super macho personality to compensate, so nobody would suspect they were gay. He thinks he sees his son having sex with Lester, so he thinks fuck it. All this crazy tough guy strict bullshit still didn't stop my son from being gay as well.

That was my interpretation anyway. When Lester rejects him, look how wrecked he is emotionally. He's spent his whole life fighting these feelings, fearing rejection from society. He finally gives in just for a moment, and finds personal rejection. It's too much and he finally loses it.

Wow. That is a hell of a list.

Matrix: I had never seen or even imagined anything like it. The themes it tackled still captivate me to this day.

American Pie: I had seen Animal House over a dozen times and thought my generation would never be able to replicate something like that but American Pie is as close as anyone's gotten to this day.

Fight Club: Another movie I think about still in regards to concepts of existentialism, self-determination, and the individual vs society.

Sixth Sense: Forget "The Twist." Forget the future bombs. This movie introduced us to one hell of a director. M Night Shyamalan pulled fantastic, nuanced performances out of everyone that touched that screen.

Green Mile: My choice in the poll had a great writer, great lead, great ensemble, great concept.

Office Space: Still works to this day... even it would rather be at home doing nothing.

The Mummy: The sleeper on the list, IMO. A great adventure flick in a genre that sees so few greats.

My favorites of that year

The Matrix
The Green Mile
American Beauty
Deep Blue Sea
Galaxy Quest
3 Kings
Office Space
Fight Club
Man on The Moon
8MM
Magnolia

Oh snap! The rewatchability on this one is tops! Loved it!

Back