• The Blair Witch Project

• Eyes Wide Shut

• Sleepy Hollow

• Any Given Sunday

• Office Space

• Cruel Intentions

Results are only viewable after voting.
LOL what? Can't you think for yourself?

Just because a movie wins an award doesn't make it the best film. The English Patient won Best Picture too, and it sucks.

How Green Was My Valley beat Citizen Kane for Best Picture in 1941. Now Citizen Kane is hailed as one of the best movies--if not THE best movie--of all time.

Well that's your loss, really.
You seem rustled by my opinion.

Blair Witch Project deserves some love. That was another game changer. I still remember the buzz around that when it first came out. Legit creepy movie with a brilliant concept.

It deserves little love. It basically spawned the shitty found footage genre (Cannibal Holocaust was the first, but TBWP popularized it), and was a mediocre movie overall. I'll give it props for having a tiny budget while raking in a lot of money, though.

Chose fight club but that and the matrix are equal classics to me.

A lot of these are apples and oranges. Office Space is an ATG comedy, Blair Witch is an ATG horror flick, but I wouldn't compare them head-to-head. That said, I chose Office Space.

On another note,Fight Club vs American Beauty is a tough one for me. Both are about people having existential crisis', and how they cope with them. Now that I think about it, Office Space had the same theme. Boy, '99 really hammered home the message to not spend your life your life doing mundane, unfulfilling shit.

Many great options, but The Matrix is clearly the correct choice.

Do any of the Mummy sequels come close to the original?

You know it, both were amazing but everytime I watch Fight Club I pick up a little something extra that I missed. Lynch jammed it full of subtle treats.

First you thought Mel Gibson was in The Sixth Sense, now you think David Lynch directed Fight Club.

What the fuck is wrong with you homey

vh583b.gif

I find myself watching THE MUMMY over and over these days.

Though EYES WIDE SHUT would win the award for best quality film, the first two acts of MUMMY are excellent, and reminiscent of the lost 1990s action-adventure flick. Perfect lightheartedness to start off with relatable protagonists, a backstory to justify the villain's presence, and a downward spiral into the folklore of Egypt's curses.

Love it, love it, love it, and wish they made more movies like these.

(Actually, wish I could just go back in time and experience the 1990s all over again!)

100% agree!

That's one of those movies that I've made sure to re-purchase over and over, from format to format. I've owned it on VHS, DVD and now Blu-Ray. I'm sure I'll eventually pick it up on 4K Blu-Ray once I get a 4K TV and Blu-Ray player as well.

When I look back at Indiana Jones-style adventure films--which is a kind of film that, when done right, I just love--I can only think of a few quality ones. There's Indy IV, The Mummy and, even though it's set in the present day, I put National Treasure in that category as well. I love all those movies.

There have been many imitators that ended up just not being that great: Romancing the Stone/Jewel of the Nile, King Solomon's Mines, and the Librarian movies with Noah Wyle come to mind. There are others as well.

So it seems like the fine art of making classic adventure films like these is a hard one to master, but when one does it successfully, the results are always a joy to behold.

How is there no choice for OTHER???? I demand satisfaction! Since my pick isn't on the list nor is the conspicuously absent 'other', here is my top 5 faves (not what I think are the best, but are favs):

5. The Matrix
4. Office Space
3. American Pie
2. Fight Club
1. The Ninth Gate

Ha, well I figured everyone would realize that if they disagreed with the choices they specify something else in the thread. But maybe next time I should put an OTHER option.

Glad you mentioned The Ninth Gate, though. I didn't realize that was '99. If I had, that definitely would've gone on the poll instead of Any Given Sunday.

First you thought Mel Gibson was in The Sixth Sense, now you think David Lynch directed Fight Club.

What the fuck is wrong with you homey

vh583b.gif
Fincher. Bleh.
Why do you have to call someone out like that? Sheesh.

For me the Green Mile, it gets me every time. Fight Club in second followed by American Pie.

hmm.. gotta think. Unlike the other years, I've actually changed my mind on when i saw them in the theater and when i've rewatched them. Some have gone up and some have gone down. The other years i liked them the same always.

Back