• Eyes Wide Shut

• Sleepy Hollow

• Any Given Sunday

• Office Space

• Cruel Intentions

Results are only viewable after voting.
G

Guestx

Inspired by @Agent Mulder's Hair's thread on the best movies of 1996, I propose we also delve into 1999. It was another monster year for films.

This year produced films that were thought-provoking (The Matrix, Fight Club), innovative (The Blair Witch Project) and just a hell of a lot of fun (The Mummy, Sleepy Hollow). And it also saw the release of one that would live on in infamy (Phantom Menace)!

Much like with 1996, when I look back at this line-up, I'm pretty amazed that all these great movies came out in a single year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was going to say the matrix easily, but American Beauty is one of my favorite movies ever. Tough one. We need an I love the 90's thread! I was thinking last night how awesome 1998 and 1999 were. For music and games too.

Last edited:
I've always thought Fight Club and The Matrix were overrated. American Beauty was alright. The Green Mile was good. Office Space was the most enjoyable of any of those movies, to be honest.

I was thinking last night how awesome 1998 and 1999 were.

It was a fun time. In the moment I just wanted to graduate high school and get off into the world and do my own thing, but in retrospect I had a lot more fun then than I am now.

I enjoyed EWS more than the rest, but OS and TGM are right behind.

It was a fun time. In the moment I just wanted to graduate high school and get off into the world and do my own thing, but in retrospect I had a lot more fun then than I am now.

Same here I was too young to realize it but late 90's through early 2000's were the goat years of my life. Books, movies, music, games, there was always something fun around the corner and life didn't seem so serious.

Same here I was too young to realize it but late 90's through early 2000's were the goat years of my life. Books, movies, music, games, there was always something fun around the corner and life didn't seem so serious.

It's unfortunate that we always have to understand these things in hindsight.

I want to tell you, but the 1st & 2nd rules are that I can't talk about it.

Gotta go with Office Space out of that list. It never gets old.

Matrix is a close 2nd.

Ah shit didn't see Green Mile....... nope still Office Space

Last edited:
Went with Fight Club. Great flick. I was at boarding school back then and of course we started our own Fight Club. All ended in tears though. Some kid fell off a bed and knocked himself out and I got teabagged by a Glaswegian kid who had like 100lbs on me

One other badass flick from '99 that I've gotta mention

51F4PCF359L._SY445_.jpg

This is a tough one too, @shadow_priest_x

Matrix and Fight Club are the obvious choices. And I love both of those. But I went with American Beauty. That and Titanic are pretty much the most perfect movies ever made, imo.

And I love The Thirteenth Floor. Iirc it came out around the same time as The Matrix. They have such similar plots that The Matrix completely overshadowed it. These days I prefer Thirteenth Floor over the Matrix.

It's unfortunate that we always have to understand these things in hindsight.

Old Man Syndrome. "Back in my day!" A couple years ago I was talking to a friend of mine, and he mentioned he was driving somewhere and flipping through stations, and he hit a station playing all the late 90's- early 00's stuff. He was like hell yeah this station is awesome! Then he realized it was an oldies station.....

<{boneytears}>

Every cliche you hear growing up about time passing too quickly and aging before you realize it is true lol.

This is a tough one too, @shadow_priest_x

Matrix and Fight Club are the obvious choices. And I love both of those. But I went with American Beauty. That and Titanic are pretty much the most perfect movies ever made, imo.

And I love The Thirteenth Floor. Iirc it came out around the same time as The Matrix. They have such similar plots that The Matrix completely overshadowed it. These days I prefer Thirteenth Floor over the Matrix.

I love the matrix, but am leaning American beauty. I'm pretty sure I've watched that movie more, and it has more depth. Honestly most of the movies on this list are pretty good. Another good year for movies, a nice mix of genres.

. . . but American Beauty is one of my favorite movies ever.

But I went with American Beauty. That and Titanic are pretty much the most perfect movies ever made, imo.

I have to tell you, I remember sitting down to watch American Beauty after it was nominated for Best Picture and I didn't really get what all the hype was about. I thought it was an OK movie but certainly not the best film of the year.

American Beauty or American Pie. This one's tough.

Every cliche you hear growing up about time passing too quickly and aging before you realize it is true lol.

That's definitely true. I'd say I made it to 25 at a reasonable pace, but going from 25 to 35 happened in a flash and I'm left just looking back and asking, "Where did those years ago?"

matrix made me voluntarily take (pay for) a 6th course one semester that was already challenging and full. I did not need it to graduate and it was a philosophy credit -- the most useless of all credits.

so -- gotta go with that.

My favorites of that year

The Matrix
The Green Mile
American Beauty
Deep Blue Sea
Galaxy Quest
3 Kings
Office Space
Fight Club
Man on The Moon
8MM
Magnolia

Not quite a great year for popcorn flicks but man the dramas triumph over any year

Back