Your favorite movie of 1996

Your favorite movie of 1996

• Total voters
I don't have a problem with it coming in at #2. I'd put Fargo at number one and then it's a battle between ID4 and The Rock for second.
I dont have a problem either, this is one of the easiest polls so far, but cmon man!! PopCorn, flavour of the month movie is Independent of any depth, its simply a summer action movie, almost comical, imo.

I dont have a problem either, this is one of the easiest polls so far, but cmon man!! PopCorn, flavour of the month movie is Independent of any depth, its simply a summer action movie, almost comical, imo.

I disagree. Yes, Independence Day is a popcorn movie, but it's one of the very BEST popcorn movies ever made. It is to popcorn movies what Goodfellas is to mob movies -- one of the prime examples.

Just looking at it from a technical perspective, it's an amazing film. Go watch something on how the effects were achieved; it's insane with the way practical miniatures were blended almost seamlessly with CGI. Compare the destruction scenes in Independence Day with those in a movie like 2012 and it's no comparison. Because 2012 opted to do almost everything in the computer the movie feels like a cut scene from a video game, while something like the destruction of the Empire State Building in ID4 feels very visceral and real.

Combine that with likable characters, coherent and exciting action sequences and a few clever plot elements and you have a film that's a blast to watch.

I disagree. Yes, Independence Day is a popcorn movie, but it's one of the very BEST popcorn movies ever made. It is to popcorn movies what Goodfellas is to mob movies -- one of the prime examples.

Just looking at it from a technical perspective, it's an amazing film. Go watch something on how the effects were achieved; it's insane with the way practical miniatures were blended almost seamlessly with CGI. Compare the destruction scenes in Independence Day with those in a movie like 2012 and it's no comparison. Because 2012 opted to do almost everything in the computer the movie feels like a cut scene from a video game, while something like the destruction of the Empire State Building in ID4 feels very visceral and real.

Combine that with likable characters, coherent and exciting action sequences and a few clever plot elements and you have a film that's a blast to watch.
We can agree on it having nice special effects and being entertaining, but its a superficial movie with average acting imo.
Its ok if we disagree

Bunch of good ones in 96. Kingpin is my favorite but also Primal Fear and The Rock, some of my favorites.

hated it then and haite it now

He punched the fuckin alien. What the fuck? He knocked the alien out with a punch. That thing is like 8 feet tall. Even Arnold couldnt even really hurt the predator with a punch but will fucking smith can knock out this shitty alien in a shitty alien movie and fly the things ship without knowing hiow and going "uh uhhh ni66a not in my hood " as he flies around. Everything about this movie sucks. Its near Godzilla (1998) kevels of total bufoonery. The acting and direction is unintentional comedy. It should never be mentioned alongside real flims like Fargo and Trainspotting.

Yeah, and the computer OS on the alien ship is somehow nearly identical to our shit OS at the time. That's the most amazing part.

I worked at a movie theater in the early to mid 90's including this year. Saw a lot of these movies for free and even a quite a few a week early because of screenings.

I saw Jurassic Park about 2 weeks before it came out.

This poll seems to have the most diversity in terms of how people spread the votes out. Lots of flicks competed for that top spot even though Fargo won decisively.

My vote went to TrainSpotting

Freeway is my favorite movie of 1996

Beautiful Girls was my favorite. I also liked The People vs. Larry Flynt and Freeway .

Had to go with Scream. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a whodunnit slasher.

Wow Fargo is super fucking overrated on here. Who knew.

Mind says Trainspotting, heart says The Rock.

Voted for the GOAT action flick.

Back