Your favorite Metal genre?

Nu metal.
Not sure if srs, but if so, what would you say are the best nu-metal bands at the moment? I haven't listened to anything new from that genre in like 10 years. Kinda curious to know what's going on in that scene cuz that shit dominated my school years.

Easily thrash..RIP Metallica 1981-1988

Progressive Metal and some power Metal

It goes in this order

1) Thrash Metal
Top five bands
1. Metallica
2. Megadeth
3. Slayer
4. Coroner
5. Anthrax
honorable mentions: Exodus, Vio-lence, Dark Angel, Death Angel, SOD, Sodom, Kreator, Testament and Voivod

2) Death Metal
Top five bands
1. Death
2. Macabre
3. Deicide (Hoffman brothers era 87-04)
4. Morbid Angel
5. Carcass
honorable mentions: Possessed, Nile, Suffocation, Bolt Thrower, Entombed, Septic Flesh and Vader

3) Doom Metal & sub genres
Top five bands
1. Electric Wizard
2. Sleep
3. Mastodon
4. KYUSS
5. Saint Vitus
honorable mentions: Candlemass, Crowbar, Down, Pentagram, Trouble, Witchfinder General, High On Fire, My Dying Bride, Melvins, Cathedral and Paradise Lost

Other genres I enjoy are Prog Metal, Industrial Metal, and Groove Metal (90's)

And my top ten favorite metal bands

1. Metallica
2. Tool
3. Death
4. Devin Townsend
5. Electric Wizard
6. Sleep
7. Macabre
8. Megadeth
9. Iron Maiden
10. Slayer

Please stop separating it into sub-groups like autistic weirdo people.. You're fkn killing it dead. It's fkn music, hard rock music.

It goes in this order

1) Thrash Metal
Top five bands
1. Metallica
2. Megadeth
3. Slayer
4. Coroner
5. Anthrax
honorable mentions: Exodus, Vio-lence, Dark Angel, Death Angel, SOD, Sodom, Kreator, Testament and Voivod

2) Death Metal
Top five bands
1. Death
2. Macabre
3. Deicide (Hoffman brothers era 87-04)
4. Morbid Angel
5. Carcass
honorable mentions: Possessed, Nile, Suffocation, Bolt Thrower, Entombed, Septic Flesh and Vader

3) Doom Metal & sub genres
Top five bands
1. Electric Wizard
2. Sleep
3. Mastodon
4. KYUSS
5. Saint Vitus
honorable mentions: Candlemass, Crowbar, Down, Pentagram, Trouble, Witchfinder General, High On Fire, My Dying Bride, Melvins, Cathedral and Paradise Lost

Other genres I enjoy are Prog Metal, Industrial Metal, and Groove Metal (90's)

And my top ten favorite metal bands

1. Metallica
2. Tool
3. Death
4. Devin Townsend
5. Electric Wizard
6. Sleep
7. Macabre
8. Megadeth
9. Iron Maiden
10. Slayer

Tool is "metal?" Funny, it wasn't when the people who knew what was up didn't call it that when it came out..

Please stop separating it into sub-groups like autistic weirdo people.. You're fkn killing it dead. It's fkn music, hard rock music. Tool is "metal?" Funny, it wasn't when the people who knew what was up didn't call it that when it came out..
Maybe you just like lumping everything in metal under the hard rock genre but I don't. I personally like categorizing my music but that is just me. Also for me Tool is Alternative Metal as it is for many other people.

Also not autistic just a sucker for organizing my music like I said before :)

Also here a nice little chart of the history of metal with all the branches of the tree
Metal%20History.jpg

Pirate metal? Welp.. I guess it's rap for 98.4 percent of pretty white girls and 97.3% of the athletic popular guys from here on out.. Good luck with that categorizing metal fans!!

How about deftones, what are they? I want them ruined as well lol

Pirate metal? Welp.. I guess it's rap for 98.4 percent of pretty white girls and 97.3% of the athletic popular guys from here on out.. Good luck with that categorizing metal fans!!

How about deftones, what are they? I want them ruined as well lol
If the majority of those people want to be close minded and limit themselves too one genre or whatevers popular, that's fine.

I find it funny that you don't like categorizing metal, like it's some great crime, yet you have no problem with categorizing people though.

When you go through a bookstore, are you angry at the fact that they have categories for different genres? Don't you find it easier to find what you're looking for when there are titles describing what a book is about? Or do you just scoff and say "It's a book damnit! Stop trying to ruin it!"

And it's so much more than hard rock music, AC/DC is Hard Rock, Haken are Progressive Metal, there's a difference, I see no problem with recognizing that difference... but isn't hard rock a sub genre of rock? Stop categorizing rock and roll, you're killing it dead.

If the majority of those people want to be close minded and limit themselves too one genre or whatevers popular, that's fine.

I find it funny that you don't like categorizing metal, like it's some great crime, yet you have no problem with categorizing people though.

When you go through a bookstore, are you angry at the fact that they have categories for different genres? Don't you find it easier to find what you're looking for when there are titles describing what a book is about? Or do you just scoff and say "It's a book damnit! Stop trying to ruin it!"

And it's so much more than hard rock music, AC/DC is Hard Rock, Haken are Progressive Metal, there's a difference, I see no problem with recognizing that difference... but isn't hard rock a sub genre of rock? Stop categorizing rock and roll, you're killing it dead.

No.. AC/DC is not hard rock. It's just 80's rock. But really just rock and roll.

No.. The actual different types of music being separated are like different sections in a book store. You don't seperate true-crime novels into the 87 different types of crimes there are. Should there REALLY be somebody that likes true-crime novels, but has to stay away from stories about robbing museums, because he likes reading about robbing banks? If you f**king like true-crime novels, you like true-crime novels.. It would be odd behavior to feel that there needs to be that small of a niche. Your group would be small and would suck.

No.. AC/DC is not hard rock. It's just 80's rock. But really just rock and roll.

No.. The actual different types of music being separated are like different sections in a book store. You don't seperate true-crime novels into the 87 different types of crimes there are. Should there REALLY be somebody that likes true-crime novels, but has to stay away from stories about robbing museums, because he likes reading about robbing banks? If you f**king like true-crime novels, you like true-crime novels.. It would be odd behavior to feel that there needs to be that small of a niche. Your group would be small and would suck.
AC/DC are 80's Rock? Didn't they get started in the 70's? Is that even a genre?

Not every Metal fan is a fan of every type of Metal, many have preferences. I don't listen too much Nu-Metal, because I don't enjoy much of it(and yes, I've heard plenty), same with Metalcore(don't get me started on Metalcore). Putting simple sub-genres on Metal is just a way to find out more bands that share a similar sound to bands you already like. If everything was just titled "Metal" how could you ever find what you're looking for, you'd be sifting through bands that aren't your thing all the time, trying to find what you already enjoy with no descriptive way of determining it.

Actually I'm sure you'd find someone who prefers true-crime novels that take place in museums over banks and vice versa. Everybody has their own tastes.

Metal isnt just "Metal" anymore. It's too diverse today not to talk about the differences between bands.

I'm not for using too many descriptions, like Melodic Blackend Neo-gothic Thrash or some stupid title like that. But to ignore that Dream Theater is Prog Metal and Slayer is Thrash Metal is just trying to over simplify something that's way too complex.

AC/DC are 80's Rock? Didn't they get started in the 70's? Is that even a genre?

Not every Metal fan is a fan of every type of Metal, many have preferences. I don't listen too much Nu-Metal, because I don't enjoy much of it(and yes, I've heard plenty), same with Metalcore(don't get me started on Metalcore). Putting simple sub-genres on Metal is just a way to find out more bands that share a similar sound to bands you already like. If everything was just titled "Metal" how could you ever find what you're looking for, you'd be sifting through bands that aren't your thing all the time, trying to find what you already enjoy with no descriptive way of determining it.

Actually I'm sure you'd find someone who prefers true-crime novels that take place in museums over banks and vice versa. Everybody has their own tastes.

Metal isnt just "Metal" anymore. It's too diverse today not to talk about the differences between bands.

I'm not for using too many descriptions, like Melodic Blackend Neo-gothic Thrash or some stupid title like that. But to ignore that Dream Theater is Prog Metal and Slayer is Thrash Metal is just trying to over simplify something that's way too complex.

Separate it into BANDS.. Every band has their own sound. You like some, some you don't. Pretty simple. Don't push yourself into a tiny weird group.

Maybe you just like lumping everything in metal under the hard rock genre but I don't. I personally like categorizing my music but that is just me. Also for me Tool is Alternative Metal as it is for many other people.

Also not autistic just a sucker for organizing my music like I said before :)

Also here a nice little chart of the history of metal with all the branches of the tree
Metal%20History.jpg

That's the dumbest fkn chart I have ever seen in my life in many ways. So f**king Pantera is "groove metal?" F**k off lmao..

Sepultera and Pantera were just different bands. They sound 100% more alike than Prong and Pantera. Faith No more was JUST FU*KING FAITH NO MORE. They sounded like the band Faith no More.

Why is R.E.M there, but no Rage? Or Clutch? Or Misfits? Or KMFDM? Pear Jam was grunge. Why is Nine Inch Nails not under 'industrial?" White Zombie? My life with the Thrill Kill Cult?

They are just fkn different bands man. If they aren't trying to be in a fkn genre, don't put them in one. Def Tones was Def tones. Period. They fkn sounded NOTHING LIKE TOOL. Do you fkn understand that? DEF TONES SOUND NOTHING LIKE TOOL.

Grunge deserves 20 more bands.

You can basically take every band that isn't heavy metal and put it under "alternative."

In the 90's it was heavy metal or alternative. And we had "girls" that could follow that and liked it with us, something you guys are going to be missing. But then we had some kick ass female bands and singer song-writers.

Where is Bio-hazard? Snot? Red Hot Chili Peppers? Old Incubus? I wouldn't think a couple of those are "metal," but you throw R.E.M on the fkn list and that kind of opens the flood-gates.

It's stupid. Talk about bands. They sound the way they sound.

"METAL" originally referred to 80's c*ck rock lol.. Don't you guys know that? That was metal. Metallica (80's) Pantera, Slayer etc.. Were heavy metal. That was it lmao.

Separate it into BANDS.. Every band has their own sound. You like some, some you don't. Pretty simple. Don't push yourself into a tiny weird group.
How about this: you do that and I'll do what I do.

I like sub-genres. They make it easier to understand the music and find what I like and don't like.

Why are you getting so bossy about how other people look at the music? Makes no sense.

Last edited:
I've met plenty of girls that are into Metal dude, hung out with many back when I was a teenager, still know a few.

Hot ones too. Half my group of friends were female Metalheads, go to Scandinavia and you'll meet many.

Some moved on too different music, but I'm sure they look back fondly at the music.

Metal isn't as popular as it once was(atleast not in North America), so you won't see scores of girls drooling over Glam Metal like back in the 80's, but they're still out there and many still write their own Metal too. I could give you a number of very attractive females who are lead singers or instrumentalists in new and established bands of today, just gotta know where to look.

Back