Your favorite Greek philosopher and why

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay I've only been at this seriously for a few months, and am a proud but apt noob. Throwing one out there for Aristotle, for so many reasons. But especially for his arguments from "Physics" about chance. He explains how we make our own luck via purposeful action, which is a difficult thing to get at.

But I want to hear who your favorite is and why. Or just any old Greek argument that really nailed it, way before we had any right to nail these sorts of things.

Socrates. His assessment of his intelligence "I know nothing but my own ignorance", his critiques of Gods, and his standing up to the views of the Athenian elite makes him my clear favorite.

I really appreciate Heraclitus as far as a lesser known and older philosopher goes. As a Buddhist much of his writing speaks to my personal philosophy and understanding.

Heraclitus:

“Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is who you become.”

“Everything flows and nothing abides, everything gives way and nothing stays fixed."

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.”

giphy.gif

I really appreciate Heraclitus as far as a lesser known and older philosopher goes. As a Buddhist much of his writing speaks to my personal philosophy and understanding.

Heraclitus:

“Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is who you become.”

“Everything flows and nothing abides, everything gives way and nothing stays fixed."

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.”
I like that a lot. Good stuff, man.

Diogenes for being a wackadoodledoodingdong

Heraclitus:

<{hfved}>

Diogenes of Sinope for his encounters with Alexander the Great

“Alexander the Great found the philosopher looking attentively at a pile of human bones. Diogenes explained, "I am searching for the bones of your father but cannot distinguish them from those of a slave.”
Alexander the Great asked the philosopher Diogenes if there was anything he could do for him, to which he replied; “Yes, stand a little out of my sunlight.”

Alexander then told Diogenes that “If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes”. The philosopher also had a ballsy response for this;

“If I were not Diogenes, I should also wish to be Diogenes," he said.

Heraclitus:

Beautiful.

I'll mention Seneca, simply because no one else has. A very logical and self-reliant philosophy was his, and it all generally applies to my own mentality and perspective on life.

Oddly, he counseled a young man for many years who would go on to become one of the worst emperors of Rome.

Aristotle. Because, Alexander.

Not really a detailed comment, but there you have it.

Of course and honorable mention to Socrates, who died for his convictions and refused to apologize to Athenian boy lovers.

Heraclitus:

Hercules wasn't a philosopher bro. He just lifted shit

i always found it interesting how quite often in the Republic, Socrates would just blatantly change the basic underlying premise of whatever they were debating, and most of the time nobody calls him on it...

In arguing about what makes a just man, he goes straight to extrapolating what a just city is instead...."first in cities searching for what it is; then thusly we could examine also in some individual, examining the likeness of the bigger in the idea of the littler"....pump the brakes playa, that wasn't the question asked nor the basic of the two arguments you just listened to

that being said, it always makes for interesting reading when going back to it since college

Back