Your favorite alternative songs from 90s

I was still listening to this in the 90's

'Iris' is a classic, bro. So are 'Black Balloon,' 'Slide,' and 'Broadway.' That album is a quintessential 90's album. Essentially embodies the whole 90's sound and listens as a period piece these days.

You can't tell me you don't have some memories with one of those songs as the soundtrack.

Of course I like those songs, but they definitely used to be more of a rock band before they became more of a pop-rock band. They were always good though.

Of course I like those songs, but they definitely used to be more of a rock band before they became more of a pop-rock band. They were always good though.

Ah, I gotcha. Thought you were saying they sucked when Dizzy Up The Girl came out.

Fav songs?

Vasoline STP, pretty much anything from them

Zero - smashing pumpkins. Not going into details but good memories.

Spacehog: In the Meantime
Oasis: Slide Away
Alice in Chains: Down in a Hole
The Smashing Pumpkins: Cherub Rock
Built to Spill: Carry the Zero
Dinosaur Jr: Start Choppin
STP: Interstate Love Song

No love for Sound Garden?
Black Hole Sun
[YT]3mbBbFH9***[/YT]

anything STP (except most from Tiny Gifts album)
Pearl Jam
Candlebox - Rain or Cover Me

[YT]MkG-fui3dBk[/YT]
[YT]cKqAsb-z3y8[/YT]

Radiohead's Creep was iconic
[YT]RJaAUyK-kNU[/YT]

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the name of (always gets me pumped)
[YT]bWXazVhlyxQ[/YT]

Offspring - Gone Away
[YT]numCZoBFcv4[/YT]

Green Day - Basket Case (or anything off of Dookie)
[YT]NUTGr5t3MoY[/YT]

Finally: The Toadies - Tyler (I faking LOVE this entire album)
[YT]eKbk7BPXBa4[/YT]

Spacehog: In the Meantime
Oasis: Slide Away
Alice in Chains: Down in a Hole
The Smashing Pumpkins: Cherub Rock
Built to Spill: Carry the Zero
Dinosaur Jr: Start Choppin
STP: Interstate Love Song

Great choices.
I could listen too/list all of STP's Plush album or Purple Album
Personally, I couldn't stand the lead singer's voice from Spacehog :/

pretty much all of nirvana and red hot chili peppers

Crazy story with this group....
they were pretty much killed (lead vocalist included) in a bus crash promoting this album.

This video was actually recorded after he died and other members died.

Kind of interesting that the whole point of the song is death, and this was the biggest hit (to that point) on their album.

Obviously Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Sublime, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. have a hundred amazing songs, but I don't think they are alternative bands.

I heard Far Behind by Candlebox on the radio today. That's the kind of music I think of when I think of 90's alternative music. Collective Soul, Gin Blossoms, Sponge, etc.

Not that it matters, I'm still enjoying remembering all these awesome 90's songs you guys are throwing out there, regardless of what genre they are.

Cinnamon and sugary, and softly spoken lies. You never know just how you look through other people's eyes.

Obviously Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Sublime, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. have a hundred amazing songs, but I don't think they are alternative bands.

I heard Far Behind by Candlebox on the radio today. That's the kind of music I think of when I think of 90's alternative music. Collective Soul, Gin Blossoms, Sponge, etc.

Not that it matters, I'm still enjoying remembering all these awesome 90's songs you guys are throwing out there, regardless of what genre they are.

Cinnamon and sugary, and softly spoken lies. You never know just how you look through other people's eyes.

Collective Soul is another group that bucked that 1 hit wonder trend that happened with a lot of these bands.

This is pretty prototypical alternative 90's rock. From the hair, clothes, riffs, lyrics, everything.

Hey MCPB, you remember this one?

And oh as I fade away, they'll all look at me and say, "Hey look at him! I'll never live that way." But that's okay, they're just afraid to change.

Everybody remembers "no rain" because it's a good song with a memorable video, but Change is an amazing song. He's another great talent killed by drugs in the 90's.

Oh, just for the sake of trivia (and a badass song), here is "Don't Cry" by Guns n Roses. The guy in the flannel, singing every word along side Axel up on the roof, is Shannon from Blind Melon.

It's tough to do it better than the Toadies. The lyrics are pretty frightening.

Back