Your best movie theater experience......

The entire epic movie of course, but seeing (& hearing) the botched heist scene in particular in HEAT at the theater for the first time is something I will never forget. Shocking. It seemed to go on forever.

Seeing Fight Club without knowing what it was about was also pure cinema.

Same with War Of The Worlds. I didn't know what it ws about so when the street suddenly started opening up, & during that entire following sequence I was completely blown away.

The amazing culture-changing phenomenon that was Pulp Fiction... saw an early screening of that one, and people knew it was going to have a special, massive impact even before it came out. All of Tarantino's subsequent work is always a special theater experience for me.

Too many to to name, I could go on forever... so I'll end with the special pleasure that was seeing massive box office bomb Freddy Got Fingered in the theater: myself, my date, and 2 other people a few rows in front, were the only 4 people in the entire place, on opening weekend... and we were all laughing our asses off from start to finish. Fond memories

When the first Mortal Kombat movie came out, I was 10. My mom and brother wanted to see something else, so my mom bought me a ticket for MK, and they saw a different movie. MK had already been out for a couple weeks, so I was the only person in that theater. It was awesome. I kept changing seats willy nilly during the movie just because I could. To this day, I've never been the sole person at the movie theater ever again.

Do you remember what your mom and brother watched? I've been the only person in the theater a few times. Get Out, The Lego Movie, Dunkirk. Almost watched Lights Out alone but a couple walked in last minute.

Only movie I ever watched alone in the theater was Lights Out.

Had time to kill early in they day and I was near the theater so I went for it. Kind weird but it was nice. Would do it again.

Yeah I went to go see this with the family when I was 6 years old.

The next one that blew me away was Avatar at IMAX, it was the first time I'd seen 3D at the cinema and looked amazing.
I was also 6. It was awesome. I remember seeing Twister at the old drive in theater, the drive in was always a fun time. I've still never seen Avatar lol

LSD at the movies is fun.

At about 15 yrs old I went to the movies with a few friends all on acid to see a horror movie can't remember which one.
We were in our seats acid kicking in starting to uncontrollably laugh and chain smoking cigarettes before the movie starts.
Then the usher came over and told us we had to leave because we didn't have anyone 18 or over with us so we had to go see Crockadile Dundee instead.
I remember riding my bike home trying to remember what the movie was about incase my parents asked.

I just remember really cool looking waves crashing across the screen from left to right.

I wish real LSD was still around :(

Do you remember what your mom and brother watched? I've been the only person in the theater a few times. Get Out, The Lego Movie, Dunkirk. Almost watched Lights Out alone but a couple walked in last minute.

I can't remember what they saw, but my brother had already seen Mortal Kombat so that's why he went with my mom.

As for another memorable childhood theater experience, my parents took me and my brother to see Jurassic Park. I was 7 at the time, and I remember my dad telling me before the movie started that the dinosaurs weren't real, and I was like, "C'mon, man. I know it's just a movie. I'm not an idiot." I think he was just trying to make sure I wouldn't get scared and freak out. As the movie is going on, it gets to the point where the T-Rex eats the goat and the goat's leg crashes on the jeep's windshield, and I remember seeing mothers pulling their children out of the theater. My parents didn't even bat an eye, and Jurassic Park was and still is one of the coolest movies I had ever experienced. It was then that I realized that I had a cool mom and dad.

I'm not even Jewish, but

This trailer pretty much sums up everything I loved about movie trailers as a kid. You just don't hear that over serious narration anymore. I'm watching the trailer -- just the trailer -- and as it finishes I look over at my buddy -- and we both have tears streaming down our faces and lightened the mood by both saying, "Jesus Christ!"

We were pretty high.

Week later some other friends tell us the same thing happened to them. It's a very affecting and effective trailer. For propaganda.

One memorable moment was walking out of the theatre after an employee pre-screening of star wars episode 1, and (within earshot of the post credits John Williams score) having the people at the front of the gigantic line who had already been there for 6 hours tell me "I'll see you in hell!"

The most fun was seeing The first Scary movie opening night in vegas.

The movie was ok (one of the two non-cancerous spoof movies), but the theatre was completely sold out, and the crowd was fun and crazy. There was this group of black guys who would run up and down the aisles at funny scenes and everyone would just start cracking up at how random and bizzare it was.

Watching Twister while the tornado sirens were going off due to an actual tornado warning, sounded like the roof of the theatre was going to rip off which made the movie that much better haha.

Honorable mention Halloween H20, the theater was super into it, clapping, laughing, yelling, and people were legit shocked at the ending which seemingly at the time ended the entire series. The over sold it or people snuck in because there was people in the damn aisles, some workers were even in there watching it.

My friends and I got high as fuck. I think we smoked two blunts between 4 of us. Then we went and saw The Matrix Reloaded. It was fucking awesome.

I met my wife in 1999... one of the first movies we went to (dating) was The Blair Witch Project. We went with another girl we worked with and her boyfriend.

As we were driving back home the couple in the backseat was talking alittle too weird about the movie. They seemed too freaked out.
I asked them, "You don't think that was real do you??".... anyway, it turns out that they actually believed it was a documentary.

This actually reminds me of something me and a buddy would do at our theatre during screenings of the Blair witch... when we were showing the movie, it was still during that time where people werent sure if it was real or not... so there was a lot of hype and we had it in a larger theater with two breezeways leading to the screen/seating instead of 1.

Right before the scene where their tent stats shaking like crazy, we would sneak into the theatre, each take a side , and when the tent started shaking, we would pound the sides of the hollow walls on each side of the seating area... the theatre would fill with screams and people freaked the *uck out. We would then run and badge into the closed concession area where we wouldnt be visible and laugh our asses off.

Special mention to the Lord of the Rings series since I never thought it could be done when I was younger and they did an excellent job.
Also, for the first time in the theatre,

followed by
220px-ReturnOfTheJediPoster1983.jpg

But without doubt, if a movie truly blew my mind, it was:

Also I remember seeing Episode I opening weekend in 1999, I was hyped for it for solid 2 years before it came out so it was such a major deal. As much as I've soured on it over the years at the time it was a fun experience and I was all about it.

I wish there were theaters that played the old movies, I know there are some out there but I would love to have one around where I live playing old horror movies and shit like Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, etc. I would go all the time. New movies just do nothing for me.

Godzilla Vs Megalon at the Theatre as a kid:
giphy.gif

c497deaab5ec0550fdcbd89f94073b1f662d17a8.gif

Got an over the pants handy a few weeks ago while I groped her breasts.

Reminiscent of this:

I always wanted to know who was the helio Gracie of cutting holes in the bottom of popcorn buckets. Who invented that move? Was that like a 50s thing? Haha

I met my wife in 1999... one of the first movies we went to (dating) was The Blair Witch Project. We went with another girl we worked with and her boyfriend.

As we were driving back home the couple in the backseat was talking alittle too weird about the movie. They seemed too freaked out.
I asked them, "You don't think that was real do you??".... anyway, it turns out that they actually believed it was a documentary.

Shit, I did too! Ha!

Saw it with my girlfriend at the time.

About a month or two leading up to the movie, they were showing what looked like a documentary on the History Channel. Then at the very end it said they were making a movie about the Blair Witch.

Naturally we assumed it was real when it came out, and then felt like dumbasses a week later when her parents told us it was fake.

Either way, the movie and the drive home we were pretty freaked out (it was late, dark, trees everywhere, and I had to walk around to the back of my house at the time-which was also dark and secluded - since the front door was locked.)

All in all, it actually made for a great movie-going experience.

Back