Your Age At UFC 1, When & Why You Started Watching MMA

Writing a paper on MMA for my return to college, any feedback is appreciated, and might make it into the final draft.

I was 12 when the UFC debuted, but didn't started watching until I was maybe 14-15 years old. I used to ride my bicycle to the local, "16, 000 Movies" store to rent the events on VHS, a franchise that was eventually purchased by Blockbuster.

I had taken Shotokan Karate, and was taking Tae Kwon Do when I started watching. Like most fans back then, I had never seen any real NHB or Vale Tudo style competitions, but a lot of boxing and other TMAs.

It was more than just watching a bloodsport, (although that was definitely part of it) but I was also interested in seeing how all these martial arts and their practitioners would stack against each other. Watching Gracie tie up all these larger, tough fighters showed me how easy it could be to neutralize years of training, rendering all that work basically useless.

Watching the sport evolve from it's infancy has helped tremendously in understanding the sport as it exists today.
I was 8 when it debuted.
Didn’t start watching until I discovered it when I was 17 which is around when you joined Sherdog. Borrowed sll the tapes from my buddy and have been watching live since.

I was around 14-15. I’d watch mma whenever it was on but didn’t look for it until around UFC 40: vendetta (Ortiz/Shamrock). I’d watched a lot before then but that was the event that is bookmarked in my memory as becoming a big fan of the sport. My neighbor and best friend told me about a pudgy Russian that beat the fuck out of all these beasts in Japan. That got me into Pride and instantly I became a lifelong fan of Wanderlei Silva. Loved their tournaments, the pageantry, the screaming lady and the silence of the crowd until something significant happened and the eruption that followed. Hughes, Tito, Lawler, Mir, BJ and Vitor were the guys that got me really interested in the UFC. I always remember the evolution of mma when Anderson and GSP showed up.

Watched it with my uncles...Who bought it thinking a bunch of kung fu dudes would wreck house.lol

I was around 8-9. Got me into Judo and wrestling.

I was born this year and been inducted by advanced aliens who speeded up my growth and implanted earthly memories including MMA fighting so I can blend in among the geniuses of Sherdog and eventually make alliances with them so we can take over the universe because the fate of it relies on the keyboard warriors of this amazing site!

I was 10 for UFC 1. First event I watched was UFC 6. Seeing Tank Abbott knock John Matua into a seizure floored me. It was like watching fights to the death. Then the Royce Gracie fights happened and the "Superfight" between Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn which was them circling the cage for a half hour made me think MMA was nothing but a boring freakshow. Didn't start watching again until 2008 when I realized they started showing cards for free and the fighting actually looked like profrssional fighting and not Male love making or bar brawls.

I was 19. I grew up watching kung fu movies and Mike Tyson so it was just natural.

The setup of this thread is driving me bonkers. Why mention Rory vs mousasi and then make the poll about something unrelated?

1 year old. Started watching MMA in 2013 after somebody showed me a video of Mark Hunt knocking out Stefan Struve.

3. First event I saw was Fedor vs Coleman 2. My brother showed it to me. He was a big Fedor fan. I was casually watching MMA at that time. Then I saw Penn bloody up Stevenson. Been hooked ever since.

I was 6 years old when UFC 1 occurred.

Always saw UFC videos next to the then WWF VHS area of Blockbuster and wondered why they didn’t compete in a ring.

Many years later the first TUF was going to debut after MNR and I thought why not and tuned in. The rest is history.

Like 8 lol. I started watching it as a freshman in college back in 2004. I don’t actually remember what started it, but I remember downloading fights and highlights off of limewire lol

I was 4. But I watched it when I was like 7 on vhs because of Ken Shamrock.
I only started watching mma because of TUF 1.

By the time I saw UFC 1 it was on vhs with a few other UFC’s already out too. That’s was 1994. I was 14z

Back