Your 2016 GOTY

Tossup between DOOM and The Last Guardian for me.

First was an awesome call back to old school gaming done near perfectly. The latter was a fresh and unique experience that was totally captivating.

Dark Souls 3 would be my runner up.

Tossup between DOOM and The Last Guardian for me.

First was an awesome call back to old school gaming done near perfectly. The latter was a fresh and unique experience that was totally captivating.

Dark Souls 3 would be my runner up.
Been playing doom again the last few days. Such a good game, great soundtrack, and I enjoy the difficulty curve a lot.

Dark Souls 3 for me, probably.

Despite its many flaws, DS3 is my GOTY. It made Dark Souls fun again & had some great/memorable bosses.

Doom. It is just the perfect reincarnation of a classic.

Because I am poor I don't usually play too many games in their release year. That being said, Over Watch gets my vote. Been so addicted to that game since release. Never gets boring for me. Only other game of 2016 that I have played is Gears 4 and that game is good but I haven't really scratched the surface of it besides the campaign. Still need to touch multiplayer on it and horde more to get a full opinion on it.

Overwatch was fun for a bit but I just need to admit to myself that I'm ass at competitive online shooters because no matter how hard I try I get tossed. So what starts out fun becomes frustrating.

I'd have to say Dark Souls 3 and Watch Dogs 2 were my favorites this year.

Although I have a love hate relationship with the game I would have to give it to Overwatch which I predicted last year would get GOTY 2016, it just does something new in a sea of clones ( TF2 I know, I know). The more you play this game and get better the more you see the depth in the gameplay, it really does have a unique strategic element mixed with mechanical skills. And Blizzard to their credit has been constantly updating the game with new content and balance changes.

Second place goes to Dark Souls 3 which is nearly just as good as Overwatch, but since it doesn't do anything new I have to give Overwatch the top spot here.

I guess FF 15 even though needing Kingslaive to make the story more comprehensible is bullshit. Just bought Watch Dogs 2 and hear great things so well see if that takes the crown

Although I have a love hate relationship with the game I would have to give it to Overwatch which I predicted last year would get GOTY 2016, it just does something new in a sea of clones ( TF2 I know, I know). The more you play this game and get better the more you see the depth in the gameplay, it really does have a unique strategic element mixed with mechanical skills. And Blizzard to their credit has been constantly updating the game with new content and balance changes.

Second place goes to Dark Souls 3 which is nearly just as good as Overwatch, but since it doesn't do anything new I have to give Overwatch the top spot here.
What are the new and unique features?

What are the new and unique features?

Well, there's just not that many games that are like it really, its part Moba, part FPS, part class based shooter. I know there were a few games in the past that did similar things but lacked the polish and wider range of skills. Its an FPS and draws inspiration from TF2 but really besides similar game modes it feels and plays very different to TF2.

Most of the depth comes from the characters themselves each with specific movement mechanics, skills and ultimates. The counter picking, the use of the map for strategic advantage, knowing cooldowns on abilities, knowing positioning, causing distractions, divide and conquer tactics, co-ordinating ults, etc. You got 24 characters all with incredibly varied skills and some of them synergize well together, knowing which character to pick in very specific situations is key in this game.

Eg, sometimes nothing is going on with my team on offense so I flank with Genji and die but my team get picks because I caused a distraction in a strategic time and place and caused the enemy to focus on me giving my team a chance to break through their defenses. This is the strategic part of the game, for every situation and team comp requires strategy in terms of knowing the situation, : eg: I;m defending payload at the last point as soldier and my team is having trouble holding defense so I switch to Reaper because his high damage up close, I know the enemy team will be close to the payload.

Its a thinking mans FPS with a high ceiling for those with mechanical skills as well (Mcree, Genji) which is refreshing in this age of military/mech shooters. BTW not trying to sound elitist but I play this game on PC and never tried the console version, but I think this game is more suited for m/kb so I understand if some console players would dislike this game since it was designed and balanced for PC version, I'm speaking primarily about the PC version here.

Last edited:
I was going to say Watch Dogs 2, But the more I play the game the more I realise it shouldn't be GOTY worthy. It's fun but can be a bit shallow, and there is nothing that's enticing me to return back to it after completing the main story missions.

Honestly, I wanna say Skyrim Special Edition, but i haven't played the original so I'm already biased since I'm experiencing it all for the first time.

Well, there's just not that many games that are like it really, its part Moba, part FPS, part class based shooter. I know there were a few games in the past that did similar things but lacked the polish and wider range of skills. Its an FPS and draws inspiration from TF2 but really besides similar game modes it feels and plays very different to TF2.

Most of the depth comes from the characters themselves each with specific movement mechanics, skills and ultimates. The counter picking, the use of the map for strategic advantage, knowing cooldowns on abilities, knowing positioning, causing distractions, divide and conquer tactics, co-ordinating ults, etc. You got 24 characters all with incredibly varied skills and some of them synergize well together, knowing which character to pick in very specific situations is key in this game.

Eg, sometimes nothing is going on with my team on offense so I flank with Genji and die but my team get picks because I caused a distraction in a strategic time and place and caused the enemy to focus on me giving my team a chance to break through their defenses. This is the strategic part of the game, for every situation and team comp requires strategy in terms of knowing the situation, : eg: I;m defending payload at the last point as soldier and my team is having trouble holding defense so I switch to Reaper because his high damage up close, I know the enemy team will be close to the payload.

Its a thinking mans FPS with a high ceiling for those with mechanical skills as well (Mcree, Genji) which is refreshing in this age of military/mech shooters. BTW not trying to sound elitist but I play this game on PC and never tried the console version, but I think this game is more suited for PC controls so I understand if some console players would dislike this game since it was designed and balanced for PC version, I'm speaking primarily about the PC version here.
It has zero moba features and you didn't list anything else.
I enjoyed it and had a run of playing it with people from this board, but new and unique are not the routes I would go when talking about this game

Back