Young Guns (1988)

ScriptReadsMe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone remember this film?
You had Kiefer Sutherland (left) Charlie Sheen (second from the left) and Justin Trudeau (first from the right)
Kinda surprising how a strong cast couldn't save this movie from abysmal failure.

51CJ8PMYF1L.jpg

I thought it was pretty good- I just watched it a few weeks ago

I thought it was pretty good- I just watched it a few weeks ago
It's not Open Range but I guess it does fill a hole when you crave some American Far West.

Also, it's ridiculous how much Emilio Estevez looks like his brother Charlie Sheen

Kinda surprising how a strong cast couldn't save this movie from abysmal failure.\

An "abysmal failure" in what sense?

The film was financially successful and is still loved by a lot of people.

Last edited by a moderator:
An "abysmal failure" in what sense?

The film was financially successful and still loved by a lot of people.

Compared to legit american far west movies (Open Range, True Grit, 3:10 to Yuma, Unforgiven, Hateful 8, High Plains Drifter) Stylistically even Appaloosa (remake) is better :(

Lot of good films in that time era. Young Guns is one of them. Especially a Western, to have younger kids attention says a lot towards a film. Sometimes it doesn’t matter that a film makes a billion dollars to be in relation to a “good” film. Look at the latest Star Wars, although film is subjective it made a lot but with lots of controversy. I thought it wasn’t good imo but they got my money. Like a Young Guns, maybe it made a profit nothing like a Billion however the majority think it was a good film. Like myself

Compared to legit american far west movies (Open Range, True Grit, 3:10 to Yuma, Unforgiven, Hateful 8, High Plains Drifter) Stylistically even Appaloosa (remake) is better :(

3:10 to Yuma (the modern version) is every bit as much a pop-culture film as Young Guns. The ending of 3:10 is an utter joke written by Hollywood number crunching millennials.

I think it was trying to be a different kind of Western. A pop Western, aimed at teens and twenty-somethings.

Not sure if you've seen The Quick and the Dead but I see it more in that vein, a stylization of the classic Western. Or an even better example would be American Outlaws with Colin Farrell, which I think was trying to be Young Guns for a new generation.

I'm not arguing that Young Guns is a great film by any means, but I think you have to consider what it was actually trying to do in determining whether or not it was a failure. It did a fairly good job of doing what it was trying to do, and its popularity among young people of the 80s and early 90s is proof of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That movie was awesome!!

You also had :
Emelio Estevez
Lou Diamond Philips
Dermont Mulroney
Jack Palance
Terence Stamp
Terry O'Quin (John Locke from Lost)

Edit: I guess the movie poster kind of already told you that but I personally love that movie. I even enjoyed Young Guns II which a lot of people didn't love.

I think it was trying to be a different kind of Western. A pop Western, aimed at teens and twenty-somethings.

Not sure if you've seen The Quick and the Dead but I see it more in that vein, a stylization of the classic Western. Or an even better example would be American Outlaws with Colin Farrell, which I think was trying to be Young Guns for a new generation.

I'm not arguing that Young Guns is a great film by any means, but I think you have to consider what it was actually trying to do in determining whether or not it was a failure. It did a fairly good job of doing what it was trying to do, and its popularity among young people of the 80s and early 90s is proof of that.

The brat pack go rated R, western style.

Quick and the Dead, on the other hand, was not so much a pop western, as it was an homage to and caricature of classic western themes with some modern twists.

The brat pack go rated R, western style.

Quick and the Dead, on the other hand, was not so much a pop western, as it was an homage to and caricature of classic western themes with some modern twists.

If you really look closely at The Quick and the Dead it's basically Bloodsport, but set in the West.

@Agent Mulder's Hair will tell you all about that.

Love it or hate it, you should still be startled at the size of that goddam chicken. Spirit world notwithstanding...

Back