You Need to Wear Fitness Tracking Watches to Buy Health Insurance

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Yay or nay? Sounds pretty creepy to me.

One of the largest life insurance providers in North America will no longer offer policies that do not include digital fitness tracking. John Hancock will now sell only "interactive" policies that collect health data through wearable devices such as a smartwatch. Policyholders can earn discounts and rewards such as gift cards for hitting exercise targets.

But critics said the announcement was "creepy" and "dystopian". Insurance brand Vitality - an international partner of John Hancock - has popularised the idea of "interactive" health and life insurance by offering discounted devices such as the Apple Watch in connection with its policies.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45590293

I can't wait till I have to have a cybernetic implant put in in order to use my health insurance for my prostate exam. Hopefully it has 3 modes of vibration.

I’m waiting for car insurance companies to start using your vehicle gps data to raise your rates if you speed.

I would rather leave my relatives the bill for my funeral and debt, then buy an Apple product.

Sounds like a great idea, voluntary and you get benefits if you exercise.

If you have nothing to hide what's the problem? What's the worst that can happen?

Hard no

Offer a $20-40 a month discount for doing it and meeting certain goals? I can see that for an insurance company. But required is a fuck no

John Hancock said customers would not have to log their activities to quality for coverage - but they would not benefit from the discounts if they chose not to.

Big fucking whoop.

Mandatory? <{cruzshake}>

"creepy" and "dystopian"

<mma4>

Could be testing the waters...

<Prem974>

Cool. I'll put the thing on my dog and let him run crazy!!!

Apparently teenage boys with a wrist tracker move ~6 inches very rapidly two to three times a day

I’m waiting for car insurance companies to start using your vehicle gps data to raise your rates if you speed.

I've thought about that too. Eventually it will become a realistic possibility with the way cars are going. The incentive is certainly there.

That would suck big time.

So dumb. How does a thing on your wrist monitor fitness anyway?

Very poorly, from my experience. I bought a FitBit HR earlier this year out of curiosity and it was saying I was walking 15 miles a day because I do a lot of hand movement in my job and it was counting damn near everything as a step. Granted, I do walk a lot at work, but not 15 miles a day. I sent it back to Amazon for a refund after a few weeks. So on the one hand, you could probably very easily game this system to make your health insurance provider think you're a fucking full time decathlete, but on the other hand, an insurance company would never, ever implement a program like this unless it completely favored them and not their customers, so at best it would probably be a pointless invasion of your privacy and a huge annoyance, for very little gain.

Kind of like Progressive's Snapshot bullshit. After dealing with that device for 6 months I was told I would be receiving a discount of $149.50 because of my safe driving habits. Of course, when my renewal bill arrived, my 6 month premium had gone up by $142 because of mysterious rate increases, so my bill was only $7.50 less than it was before. And of course after I pulled the Snapshot out of my truck I proceeded to drive like a maniac again, so apart from saving me a few bucks it was a complete waste of everyone's time.

Very poorly, from my experience. I bought a FitBit HR earlier this year out of curiosity and it was saying I was walking 15 miles a day because I do a lot of hand movement in my job and it was counting damn near everything as a step. Granted, I do walk a lot at work, but not 15 miles a day. I sent it back to Amazon for a refund after a few weeks. So on the one hand, you could probably very easily game this system to make your health insurance provider think you're a fucking full time decathlete, but on the other hand, an insurance company would never, ever implement a program like this unless it completely favored them and not their customers, so at best it would probably be a pointless invasion of your privacy and a huge annoyance, for very little gain.

Kind of like Progressive's Snapshot bullshit. After dealing with that device for 6 months I was told I would be receiving a discount of $149.50 because of my safe driving habits. Of course, when my renewal bill arrived, my 6 month premium had gone up by $142 because of mysterious rate increases, so my bill was only $7.50 less than it was before. And of course after I pulled the Snapshot out of my truck I proceeded to drive like a maniac again, so apart from saving me a few bucks it was a complete waste of everyone's time.
But how is the amount of steps you take = good fitness? I know plenty of disgusting slobs who walk alot.

Lol I just bought a new car after not having one for 2 years and got that progressive thing lol

But how is the amount of steps you take = good fitness? I know plenty of disgusting slobs who walk alot.

Lol I just bought a new car after not having one for 2 years and got that progressive thing lol

If you're driving in the city you'll probably find it to be an even bigger pain in the ass than I did. To be honest with you the only thing it taught me to do was run as many yellow lights as possible to avoid setting it off by braking moderately hard.

Im ok with this.

I aint a pooh butt, shiii they need to pay me.

Back