You know who is pretty shit as a trainer but we don't really talk about it?

He got a lot of positive press for extending the careers of guys that had past the apex of their career. For instance, he got lots of love for turning Gatti into a decent boxer/puncher from the outright brawler that he used to be.

Then, Gatti tried to outbox Floyd, and the positive press stopped.
ya, he probably helped gatti squeeze a little more out of his career. But as I've mentioned, trying to make a guy a copy of yourself is tricky. George Foreman learned a lot of good tricks from Dick Saddler and Archie Moore but for every case like that, there guys who tried to turn a fighter into themselves. Joe Frazier was said to have done that with Marvis who was said to be a Defensive type of fighter before his father took over. Smart trainers like Eddie Futch take everything into account when coming up with a strategy and tinkering with style. Futch told Bowe not to move so much on his toes because he was too large a man for that style (wonder what he'd make of Tyson Fury).

I feel he did a pretty good job with Gatti, Kovalev, and Tarver. To me, his strengths lie with sharpening skills or techniques rather than build someone from the bottom up.

ya, he probably helped gatti squeeze a little more out of his career. But as I've mentioned, trying to make a guy a copy of yourself is tricky. George Foreman learned a lot of good tricks from Dick Saddler and Archie Moore but for every case like that, there guys who tried to turn a fighter into themselves. Joe Frazier was said to have done that with Marvis who was said to be a Defensive type of fighter before his father took over. Smart trainers like Eddie Futch take everything into account when coming up with a strategy and tinkering with style. Futch told Bowe not to move so much on his toes because he was too large a man for that style (wonder what he'd make of Tyson Fury).
I've been a coach for over 20 years.

It took me a couple of months to realize that not everyone can compete like I did. Not everyone is a manlet with a sprinter's cardio.

If I didn't check my ego, it would have been a short (no pun intended) career.

I feel he did a pretty good job with Gatti, Kovalev, and Tarver. To me, his strengths lie with sharpening skills or techniques rather than build someone from the bottom up.
That’s a fair assessment, it’s not like he owns or runs a gym like Garcia and Roach, like I said, he’s very knowledgeable, what makes a great trainer is not how many champs you breed but how successful and pleased is your fighter in any stage of his career and he’s done great so far.

I've been a coach for over 20 years.

It took me a couple of months to realize that not everyone can compete like I did. Not everyone is a manlet with a sprinter's cardio.

If I didn't check my ego, it would have been a short (no pun intended) career.
yup, that ego is a motherfucker in all aspects of life involving men.

That’s a fair assessment, it’s not like he owns or runs a gym like Garcia and Roach, like I said, he’s very knowledgeable, what makes a great trainer is not how many champs you breed but how successful and pleased is your fighter in any stage of his career and he’s done great so far.
And it’s not like Manny wasn’t already a world champion before he even got to Roach, who Roach is best known for as a trainer

Way to work baby, keep working baby, mix in that hook off the jab baby, just like we worked on baby, looking good champ, deep breaths. - Buddy's corner, every fight.

Good, smart fighter though, as mentioned

No doubt. Even with a bum shoulder, he gave a prime Sweet Pea a tactical challenge. McGirt knew when to press and when to lay back and counter. Could throw every punch and use fundamentals in a disciplined fashion.

Last edited:
Back