You ever feel like a wimp for competing in grappling rather than striking?

I'm not sure that's true. One can give up in boxing by putting a knee on the ground or refuse to answer the bell after a round. Its rare to see in televised pro fights but it happens in amateure, which is what I'm referring to. In MMA one can tap to strikes, a lot of UFC fighters have won the first couple bouts in their career because their opponent tapped to strikes. Also the corner can throw in the towel and save their fighter.

I know that the tv audience views that sort of thing as cowardice and being a pussy, but do other armature fighters and coaches ?

Anyway my problem is that the striking classes at my gym overlap with the grappling, so its hard to do both. Also some of my training partners hit hard, perhaps because I can throw them in the Thai clinch and they do not like that at all. It was weird because were are encouraged to clinch but im the only one that likes it. I was using the moves shown in class too.

I haven't been to a striking class in 3 months because I have been training for a BJJ tournament and because people hit hard.
Taking a knee is don't to get an 8 count is one thing. Taking a knee and not getting up, is the equivalent of tapping to strikes in MMA, or tapping to position in BJJ. You can do it, and people will say it's ok, but people remember.
Lol no reason to be insecure, dawg. Striking isn't "tougher" it's just... stupider.

Like, we did style vs style for years. It's settled. Wrestling, BJJ, and Sambo are the superior arts to train.
Lame troll, I'm sure you're very successful

Taking a knee is don't to get an 8 count is one thing. Taking a knee and not getting up, is the equivalent of tapping to strikes in MMA, or tapping to position in BJJ. You can do it, and people will say it's ok, but people remember.

Lame troll, I'm sure you're very successful

there is some truth to that....

funny thing to me is in grappling classes when its over, everyone is willing and able to spar... and they look to spar as many and as good of guys they can.

striking classes, lots of guys hit the bag and pads; when it comes time to spar, alot of people ain't having it. They will watch and tell u what to do or what you did wrong; but go in and spar NAAAAAHHH.

I have been to alot of gyms and w/the exception of people who hope to compete or are competing or had competed; the majority of people won't spar... hard or light or medium, they just don't want it..

in grappling everyone will...whether its hard light or medium..

Man. Interesting and honest topic. I will say this, I took a Muay Thai smoker but no full amateur fights. I've taken a Few Bjj tourneys. The feeling in preping is totallly different when you know strikes are involved.

I'm too old now for a Muay Thai fight so it's all bjj so I'll have to deal. But I sorta understand where you're coming from. I coulda fought more and taken some amateur fights when I was younger and I do frankly regret that I didn't.

there is some truth to that....

funny thing to me is in grappling classes when its over, everyone is willing and able to spar... and they look to spar as many and as good of guys they can.

striking classes, lots of guys hit the bag and pads; when it comes time to spar, alot of people ain't having it. They will watch and tell u what to do or what you did wrong; but go in and spar NAAAAAHHH.

I have been to alot of gyms and w/the exception of people who hope to compete or are competing or had competed; the majority of people won't spar... hard or light or medium, they just don't want it..

in grappling everyone will...whether its hard light or medium..

Really? My experience in striking has always been 1-1 with my coach, and we spar 3-5 rounds at the start of every session. WTF would you go to class if not to spar at the end? Especially if it's technical sparring?

My gf LOVES grappling but finds striking boring. She wants to eventually do MMA though so she'll have to learn the standup. Me and her consider MMA the "ultimate" test, so to speak, so we both have to do it one day. I box but also like grappling. Like wrestling a lot more than BJJ though because wrestling seems more brutal and primal.

No, i know and most cross overs training with mt guys showed me that I can normally close the distance, trip and sub them...

no. if you've ever competed in bjj you'd know its incredibly draining.

Lot of people quit in grappling. Fatigue makes cowards of men.
JOHNSON_ANTHONY.png

I feel exactly like you do lol. I love bjj as i dont get hit in the head, but I would consider myself a coward for quitting striking

You know guys you can spar light with 16oz gloves and a head guard it's not like you have to be getting repeatedly rocked hard every week.

You aren't going to live forever anyway.

Really? My experience in striking has always been 1-1 with my coach, and we spar 3-5 rounds at the start of every session. WTF would you go to class if not to spar at the end? Especially if it's technical sparring?

yeah its nuts to me and i am not some sort of technician or dynamic striker; im just a regular joe who trains (grappling/striking) when he can.

but like i said everyone wants to hit the mat, slow medium or hard rolls; when it comes to getting kicked or punch, something clicks in people's heads and they just don't want to do it....

its been that way almost everywhere i have been at... lots of places i go where the regular folk spar are glad i show; cus alot of their regulars train alot but have no interest in sparring or are so inexperienced they cant give anyone any work at all

yeah its nuts to me and i am not some sort of technician or dynamic striker; im just a regular joe who trains (grappling/striking) when he can.

but like i said everyone wants to hit the mat, slow medium or hard rolls; when it comes to getting kicked or punch, something clicks in people's heads and they just don't want to do it....

its been that way almost everywhere i have been at... lots of places i go where the regular folk spar are glad i show; cus alot of their regulars train alot but have no interest in sparring or are so inexperienced they cant give anyone any work at all

With good partners and good headgear, it's not that bad. Unless it's hard sparring day I rarely take more than 1-2 shots that even make me take notice (to the head at least, add a few more good ones to the body and legs). I've never had trouble working after a normal sparring session, only after hard sparring (which I do rarely) do I feel any effect the rest of the day or the next.

My gf LOVES grappling but finds striking boring. She wants to eventually do MMA though so she'll have to learn the standup. Me and her consider MMA the "ultimate" test, so to speak, so we both have to do it one day. I box but also like grappling. Like wrestling a lot more than BJJ though because wrestling seems more brutal and primal.

Depends on who you're doing BJJ with. Hard to get more primal that someone on your back cranking on your face to try and choke you to death.

Back