You Don't Owe Fighters "Respect" LOL

100% agree

There is a problem of what the word respect means. I think people/fighters can take "I don't have to respect them" as it meaning " therefore I disrespect them or look down upon them".

I don't think that is what people intend by their statement. Rather it is a refutation of the idea that a fan is not fairly entitled to boo a fighter style or a fighter they don't like

But such a mentality is selfish and arrogant itself. If a fighter takes money for adoration, they have to accept the other side: that some people will want to boo too. Both are emotions that the fight game might put a fan through .

Lets be honest here, MMA is a trashy sport that attracts scumbag fans. Its the unspoken truth. And Kajan damn well knew that when he got into MMA

I wouldn't except any respect from MMA community, its a dump and we all know it

Its not about whether Kajan deserves respect or not. Majority of the MMA fans will not give respect to fighters even though they deserve it. Its how it always was, its a community full of douchebags

The respect he's referring to, is the respect for the art, when 2 guys are in there doing their best, at that point, yes he does deserve your respect.

Just like the waiter serving you your food deserves your respect.

Just like anybody on the job whose doing there best to provide deserves a level of respect.

You dont have to like him, you dont have to watch him, you dont have pay for a ppv he's on, but the 15 minutes these guys are out there working, yea show a little respect.

You don't see me boo'ing the city guys for the horrible job there doing whenever i pass by.

City guys don't expect clapping and fan fare either. They make their money by getting fans excited, emotionally invested. You have to accept that such investment can go both ways. Booing is just as valid an expression as clapping/cheering. It is part of the game.
that doesn't mean anyone should ever be Disrespected

1. Fighting, for better or worse, is a form of entertainment.
  2. Fighting is not noble. It is not needed. It does not hold the fabric of modern civilization together.
  3. Fighters are not heroes. They are workers. Laborers. Sprockets in a gear.
  4. You don't owe fighters "respect".
  5. If you pay for the PPV, buy a ticket or watch a TV commercial, you've done your part.
  6. If a fight is terrible, you can boo. You can criticize. You can stop watching a fighter, a division, even an entire promotion. You can also make jokes. Post funny pictures on the internet.
  7. Fighters who don't like to be boo'ed have several choices (1) change their style (2) educate fans on why their style should be appreciated (3) get a new job
  8. Kajan Johnson is not one of the best martial artists in the world or even among the greatest martials artists who have ever lived! LMAO.
  9. You DO owe your children's teachers respect. You DO owe respect to your spouse. You DO owe respect to people who love you and look after your emotional and physical well-being. Fighters? Not so much.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

City guys don't expect clapping and fan fare either. They make their money by getting fans excited, emotionally invested. You have to accept that such investment can go both ways. Booing is just as valid an expression as clapping/cheering. It is part of the game.
that doesn't mean anyone should ever be Disrespected

Except he's not demanding clapping and fan fare either, he's not saying you have to enjoy his fights, be a fan, follow him on social media.

Who claps at a mma event??

What it comes down to, is that MMA isnt alwsys going to be exciting, therr isnt a single move that is taught to he flashy, you dont practice moves to get fans enotionally invested you,you dont learn ineffective things based on how well they sell.

The entertainment value in MMA is a byproduct of the arts, but is not a responsibility of the fighters, who spend 0 time in training learning how to entertain the fans.

This isnt the WWE

The problem with all this is that the fans were booing the decision because they didn't agree. They weren't booing him.

I've not seen this guy before (maybe I saw but never paid attention) but my first impression of him is as a whiny bitch. Maybe that makes me a cunt, not in my eyes though.

Except he's not demanding clapping and fan fare either, he's not saying you have to enjoy his fights, be a fan, follow him on social media.

Who claps at a mma event??

What it comes down to, is that MMA isnt alwsys going to be exciting, therr isnt a single move that is taught to he flashy, you dont practice moves to get fans enotionally invested you,you dont learn ineffective things based on how well they sell.

The entertainment value in MMA is a byproduct of the arts, but is not a responsibility of the fighters, who spend 0 time in training learning how to entertain the fans.

This isnt the WWE

Do they want a silent stadium? If they want noise, it will either be polite and lack passion; or be passionate and therefore have both cheers and boos.

If fans can boo,fighters can respond to their derision. As a fan you arent owed anything either.

People were booing the decision, the crowd thought Stevie won.

Not sure how he expected to not get booed after talking shit to the crowd.

No he doesn't, there are literally dozens of people devoted to ensuring a fighter is as safe as can be reasonably expected. That hyperbole is old and tired, MMA fighters aren't dying in mass and it is only getting safer.
Oh shit. Someone just pulled the curtain back. Say it again.

Unless a fighter, his trainer, the promotion or the doctor knowingly ignores a health condition, the notion of "putting your life on the line" is really just silly. Football players are more at risk than MMA fighters on a daily basis.

also, I take exception to this thread being moved to The Wasteland.

This is my Mona Lisa. And it speaks to one of the silly assertions among UFC fighters and fans.

I pay, you fight. Everything else is flexible.

512779.jpg

Do they want a silent stadium? If they want noise, it will either be polite and lack passion; or be passionate and therefore have both cheers and boos.

Listen to Pride guys talk about the appreciation of japanese fans

True, but you should still respect any and everyone until they lose it.

I couldn't disagree more. I think you should treat everyone with decency and kindness but respect is a thing that's earned. The definitions of respect that I am referring to are "a high or special regard" and "the quality or state of being esteemed."

The idea that we should respect someone just because they are a pro fighter is ludicrous. Many of us have WAY more dangerous jobs that contribute way more to society, like police officers, soldiers, and fire fighters. These guys are just athletes... entertainers. Now that doesn't mean I don't respect any fighters; I just don't agree that they are owed it.

Does your boss owe you some respect TS? Or you don't mind him cursing you while you work?

Unless, you know, you're the cornerstone of society.

Does your boss owe you some respect TS? Or you don't mind him cursing you while you work?

Unless, you know, you're the cornerstone of society.
Not bragging, but I am the boss. Been that way for a long time. I report to a board. And the employees (note, I don't say "my") don't owe me respect. They owe me the truth, common decency, professionalism, accuracy and their best effort.

They don't have to like me. They don't have to invite me to their family gatherings. They don't have to act like I saved them from something.

They got what they earned. They are in their jobs because their competent. I can't get the best out of them if they feel like they "owe" me something rather than got where they are due to their own competence. That is, owing somebody something instantly puts them above you. I'm not interested in putting anyone, a colleague or an employee below me, emotionally or otherwise. They don't owe me shit except what it takes to get their job done well.

Last edited:
Its hard for sherdog to comprehend, Kajun doesnt want or thinks he deserves your respect on a personal level, he doesn't believe everyone in the world should treat him with respect because he chose to be a fighter

The respect he's referring to, is the respect for the art, when 2 guys are in there doing their best, at that point, yes he does deserve your respect.

Just like the waiter serving you your food deserves your respect.

Just like anybody on the job whose doing there best to provide deserves a level of respect.

You dont have to like him, you dont have to watch him, you dont have pay for a ppv he's on, but the 15 minutes these guys are out there working, yea show a little respect.

You don't see me boo'ing the city guys for the horrible job there doing whenever i pass by.
You do have a good point there and I don't necessarily think anyone should be disparaged on the job, but the city guys are not in the entertainment business, Kajan and other professional fighters are. It's not the same scenario

You do have a good point there and I don't necessarily think anyone should be disparaged on the job, but the city guys are not in the entertainment business, Kajan and other professional fighters are. It's not the same scenario

Except the entertainment value is a byproduct, they are not entertainers, they are not there to entertain you, there is nothing that they practice for the purpose of entertainment.

This is not the WWE

Back