You could feel the end coming for Shogun

I thought that Shogun looked kind of slow in the begining,but was rooting for him and when he started to connect hard in first and second I started to think it was a matter of time he catches henderson and finishes him. Shogun was trying to finish in the first round,but it seemed like he ran out of gas in the second a little bit. In the 3rd, it seemed like Shogun was less careful and I thought that Dan is always dangerous and if Shogun starts to exchange with Henderson its too dangerous,since he can always finish the fight,especially in scrambles like in Fedor fight,and right after I was thinking about that Hendo cathes Shogun and finishes him. Its sad,but Mauricio should have been more careful and composed.

Lol, no.

Jesus christ, you Shogun fans are embarrassing.

I don't like delusional Shogun comments, but he is correct.

You're not a godawful-terrible-can't-be-beaten match-up for someone if they almost knock you out 3+ times in two fights, much less two times in three rounds.

That's the thing though...

Shogun indeed won the first two rounds easily. But when you don't capitalize and finish against a guy like Dan, and you have to continue to engage him it's like you're just giving him extra chances.

I started to feel like if it were Shogun's night, he would have already won.

I dont think Machida got your memo

I don't like delusional Shogun comments, but he is correct.

You're not a godawful-terrible-can't-be-beaten match-up for someone if they almost knock you out 3+ times in two fights, much less two times in three rounds.

Age has something to do with it, man. Hendo 11 years older than Shogun. Hendo's style of fighting is bad for Shogun. Shogun can't outbrawl Hendo and that was proven in 2 fights.

too bad they can't make Dan vs Thiago Silva

When was the last time you saw someone knock down Hendo twice in a fight? Or better yet, when was the last time you saw someone who's a dream match-up for him do that?

Lol, your attempts to rile me up are terrible and devoid of any real argument. Try better next time.

I'm not trying to rile you up, you are doing that to yourself.

Hendo is also much older than Shogun and has been in a lot more wars, yet he still knocked him out. Shogun can't outbrawl Hendo and he doesn't have the BJJ to threaten him on the mat. He caught Hendo with some nice shots in the rematch but that obviously wasn't enough.

Age has something to do with it, man. Hendo 11 years older than Shogun. Hendo's style of fighting is bad for Shogun. Shogun can't outbrawl Hendo and that was proven in 2 fights.

What does that have to do with what I said?

Hendo isn't an easy fight for Shogun, obviously, but he's looked anything but untouchable fighting him. Shogun has ended two rounds of their two fights in mount, and nearly put Hendo out multiple times.

I think more analysis should go into this fight.

They both looked fine until after the late exchange in the first round. Hendo rocked the shit out Shogun, and Shogun rocked the shit out Hendo. Shogun frantically tried to finish, which as we know, tends to take a lot of energy out of fighters, not to mention he was dazed just before it. Hendo obviously got his shit rocked.

Round 2 it was obvious both were feeling some effects. Hendo was really sloppy and it seemed he was still a bit out of it. Shogun seemed to slow his pace. Had he tried to finish in the 2nd and failed? Well? He probably would have looked a lot like Hendo in the late rounds of their first fight.

Hendo seemed to have recovered by the end of the 2nd round, and came out in round 3 with much more urgency. Then he smashed Shogun's face in.

I know many want to simply chalk this up to either Hendo sucking, Shogun sucking or a combination of both. I prefer to analyze what actually happened.

Shogun is fine and will continue kicking ass, along with Hendo.

I agree TS. In the third round Shogun kept using that same jab over and over with no feints, no variation, no follow up punches. He was landing it well and it was effective but you could see Henderson just fucking locking on with that right hand and trying to time him. Who knows if he would have but I thought Shogun's jab was going to bite him in the ass on that one.

This is really one of those fights where you can say "he just got caught" because Henderson just set up a perfect right hand. Shogun didn't really make a huge mistake. He could have probably done something differently to prevent it but with a guy like Henderson all he needs is a small window and your world is fucked.

In the first fight they went to war and Hendo came out on top. You could have scored it a draw but Hendo still clobbered him for the most part. In this fight they were a lot more patient and technical. Shogun jabbed and set up his strikes rather than leaping in with bombs. Henderson really paced himself and waited to set up his strikes and mixed in TD attempts.

Last edited:
if shogun didn't have that killer chute boxe mentality thats seemingly embedded in his brain, i think he could have easily subbed dan both fights. the last round in the first fight henderson was practically begging to get armbarred. stuck in full mount with his arm fully extended. the second fight is mostly me just speculating but his neck was available after he dropped him. but i guess with a full tank try and run him in the ground.

it sucked to see it end the way it did. i would have really liked to see shogun make that last run to at least contender status again, at this point he's just a gatekeeper. dans age has finally caught up with him it seems. his chin is gone and with his flat footed brawling style i think he's just too predictable.

Back