You Can't Be A Pussy Your Whole Life - KyleInAction's Log

KyleInAction

***HOPKINS BELT***
Reaction score
Now that I've signed up with a proper gym, it's time to knock the overall "chumpness" out of my body and replace it with some good ol fashion pain.

Current:
Weight: 180lbs
Height: 5'11"
Deadlift: 315 x 5
Squat: 180 x 5 (I just got a proper squat rack last week)
Press: 120 x 5
Bench Press: 180 x 5

Goals:
Weight: 165lbs (middleweight)
Deadlift: 400lbs
Squat: 400lbs
Press: Bodyweight
Bench Press: Bodyweight x 1.5
Complete First 10 Amateur Fights With A Winning Record

Training Schedule:
Monday: Squat, Press/Bench Press, Chin-Ups
Tuesday: Boxing Training
Wednesday: Squat, Press/Bench Press, Deadlift
Thursday: Boxing Training
Friday: Squat, Press/Bench Press, Pull-Ups
Saturday: Off
Sunday: LSD, Swimming, etc.

Last edited:
best of luck to you, those are reasonable goals

Thank you, sir. I'm looking forward (in a manner of speaking) to all of the vomit, blood, and glory. More of the first two than the latter one for a while, I reckon.

Are you only planning on boxing? If so you don't need to kill yourself over weight lifting.

If you're doing MMA those are great core workouts -- go for it. Boxing is technique and speed.

Welcome to the logs. Athens1 makes a good point, once you hit your strength goals you will probably want to shift your focus a bit and do more boxing and less lifting.

I bet your squat flies up now that you have a rack. That's a pretty solid deadlift already.

Are you only planning on boxing? If so you don't need to kill yourself over weight lifting.

If you're doing MMA those are great core workouts -- go for it. Boxing is technique and speed.

You're absolutely right. However, if I can be that strong and maintain my goal weight, it will only make me faster and more powerful. Good things. I may have to adjust that schedule as time passes to allow for more technical training, though. But those goals are still achievable.

Edit: The more I think about this, the more I'm glad you said it. It might do me well to do a two day split with 3 days of technical training. Thank you, I just may rethink my strategy.

Welcome to the logs. Athens1 makes a good point, once you hit your strength goals you will probably want to shift your focus a bit and do more boxing and less lifting.

I bet your squat flies up now that you have a rack. That's a pretty solid deadlift already.

Thank you. I think the deadlift did so well because I had never trained it before. And since I couldn't squat, I was doing deads 3 times a week. That, in conjunction with what would equate to several large silos of milk, did the trick. I hope to use the same technique on the squat, however with less milk consumption. The gains will be slower, but I won't be lugging around a bunch of extra fat. Well, maybe a little.

My bench is coming along pretty slow, however. I was at the disadvantage of being taught how to bench incorrectly by an hourly employee at a franchise health club. I blame this for why I look, and feel, angry at the gym. However, through the wise teachings of Ripp via Youtube, and the people here at S&C, I've un-fucked myself. I'm making pretty steady 5lb gains every week now that my form is what you would call acceptable.

Last edited:
First day of boxing.

Actually, that's a misnomer. I trained for 9-10 months when I lived in Las Vegas. Unfortunately that training was at LA Boxing. Luckily it was an LA Boxing not run by incompetent cardio-kickboxing enthusiasts (Rodney Crisler was the head boxing instructor). That's a bit harsh I suppose, but I've been to others, and they are mighty lame.

I started the session about 30 minutes early.
Stretched.
Shadowboxed for two rounds.
Stopped to watch a couple of guys sparring.
Continued loosening up.

Class starts. Only a few of us.

We start by running 1-2 combo's on 3 bags. 1-2-Roll-1-2-Roll His Right Hook-1-2. More of the same after, this time changing to a 3-2, then catch his jab, then fire 2 left hooks into the bag's body.
Side-to-sides for 5 runs through the bag rack.

Now there are a lot more of us.

We start light sparring. Time to practice catching a jab. I made a foolish mistake, but luckily I made it early, by palming my right hand out like I was waving to my grandmother, instead of catching a fist with the primary intention of f***ing me up. I know better god dammit. Regardless, it only took the back of my glove swatting my face once for me to knock that shit off. I now respect this guys power, and I tunnel-vision in on what I'm there to do.

Next we work on catching a jab, and defending the left hook to the body, and throwing a jab and landing a left hook to the body.

The left to the body has always been my favorite punch. We start working, and my jab isn't landing, but I'm getting the left hook around 50%. That number should be a lot lower, since everyone knew what was coming. It's at this point that I realize that I'm not the only new person in the class.

I've written way too much. I've got to wrap this up.

I took a nice left to the hip, courtesy of my elbow. That's what I get for not being fast enough. More sparring. We finish off with a few foot races around the gym (it's a big place). I'm glad I've been conditioning and weight lifting. Today was a lot less painful as a result. Coach came over and talked with me while I was unwrapping my hands. We chatted a bit, he showed me how to guard my solar-plexis better because I was eating shots there all night. "Don't worry, we gonna make you good," he said.

It feels good to be in a place where everyone has the same goals, and everyone wants to help. I had almost forgotten what it feels like to be on a good team. F'n a.

Sparring and conditioning last night. Worked mainly on footwork and defense.

I've decided to switch my schedule around to accommodate more technical training and conditioning, and less strength training. I've also been debating my goal weight. With my current muscle mass, getting to a natural 155 is do-able, then I would only have to cut 3 pounds to make the welterweight limit. And at 5'11" (I don't know my reach in inches, but I'm a knuckle-dragger) I'll have a significant reach advantage. I'll get it down to 160 within the next few weeks and I'll decide how I feel then. Anyway, new schedule:

Monday: Conditioning / Hill-Sprints / etc.
Tuesday: Technical Training/Sparring
Wednesday: Conditioning and Technical Training (Bag/Mitt Work)
Thursday: Technical Training/Sparring
Friday: Strength (Squat, Deadlift, weighted Pull-ups)
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Strength (Squat, Press, weighted Chin-ups)

No more updates until Monday, unfortunately. Alright, let's go hit something.

welcome to the logs

Since I know nothing about weight training, cardio, boxing, MMA or grappling, I'll just say hi

Back