You are denied citizenship

correct decision

• Total voters
Uh, you said this...

But that's not true, Middle Eastern states make accommodations for Westerners all the time. Even the Morsi government agreed not to ban alcohol so that hotels could keep serving them for foreigners and they're hardly unique in that. Muslims states allow poison to be served so Westerners can get shitfaced but fucking Frenchies can't accept not shaking a woman's hand? The guy's probably a creep if he wants to touch her so badly.
Working from home? No. Recluse - "interact with the opposite sex"? Yes. As in, how do go outside and avoid the opposite sex to any degree of success?

Yes, they're allowed their western excesses in certain areas. This lady seems to want to be free of male interactions everywhere. I'm not even against that as I'm big on the sanctity of personal space. However, attitudes such as hers lead to behavior I find unacceptable. I've seen middle eastern men refuse to deal with office staff at my last job because they were women. No bueno buddy.

Last edited:
<Fedor23>
Working from home? No. Recluse - "interact with the opposite sex"? Yes. As in, how do go outside and avoid the opposite sex to any degree of success?
By working from home and going out only as needed? I manage those objectives just fine lol.
Yes, they're allowed their western excesses in certain areas. This lady seems to want to be free of male interactions everywhere. I'm not even against that as I'm big on the sanctity of personal space. However, attitudes such as hers lead to behavior I find unacceptable. I've seen middle eastern men refuse to deal with office staff at my last job because they were women. Bo bueno buddy.
She doesn't want to shake their hand, that doesn't mean she won't interact with men at all. Do men in France feel entitled to touch women even if only on the hand? That's an odd entitlement. I have to navigate a hug and kiss culture on one side of my family and the opposite on the other and somehow I manage but apparently these Frenchies get their feelings hurt because one woman whom they'll likely never meet again doesn't want to shake their hand. Its really pathetic and petty they'd deny her citizenship over something like that but like I said can't say I'm surprised the French would do so.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

I think this was either last yr or the yr before?
Our education minister here in Australia said it is fine for muslim students not to shake hands with female teachers.[a number of them had refused to do so.]
So here we have a government official saying it's ok.
Did he know the reason why muslim men don't shake hands with females though? It's because females are considered dirty and unclean.
"Yuck, i wouldn't touch that if you paid me!"
Those students should of been suspended, the bastards.

<Fedor23>

By working from home and going out only as needed? I manage those objectives just fine lol.

She doesn't want to shake their hand, that doesn't mean she won't interact with men at all. Do men in France feel entitled to touch women even if only on the hand? That's an odd entitlement. I have to navigate a hug and kiss culture on one side of my family and the opposite on the other and somehow I manage but apparently these Frenchies get their feelings hurt because one woman whom they'll likely never meet again doesn't want to shake their hand. Its really pathetic and petty they'd deny her citizenship over something like that but like I said can't say I'm surprised the French would do so.
Like I said, I'm not one for being touchy feely. I don't even like it from my family in Europe.

I'm pretty consistent in my stance that a country should be able to enforce their cultural norms on new citizens. The way I see it is if you move somewhere you should assimilate. Hence, I'd never move to a place where my habits are unacceptable, or if I did I would act accordingly. I think it really is that simple. She's not obliged, or entitled to become a French citizen.

And no, I'm not defending the French, dammit! Lol

Like I said, I'm not one for being touchy feely. I don't even like it from my family in Europe.

I'm pretty consistent in my stance that a country should be able to enforce their cultural norms on new citizens. The way I see it is if you move somewhere you should assimilate. Hence, I'd never move to a place where my habits are unacceptable, or if I did I would act accordingly. I think it really is that simple. She's not obliged, or entitled to become a French citizen.

She didn't arbitrarily pick France, she's married to a Frenchman and as an Algerian likely already knows French. But then again we know the French think the Algerians are animals, treating them like lab rats for their nuclear tests and trophies in their museums, so perhaps you're right that it wasn't the best choice for her.

Did she at least try to compromise with a fist bump?

Anyway I say this is fair. If you're not willing to adopt some of the cultural expressions of the country taking you in, then that's a problem.

I wouldn't love to to an Asian and refuse to bow.

because

you can't integrate if you cant do a simple handshake

I don't say "good morning". Haven't done so in over 25 years. Since I'm not an immigrant or a muslim, no one really gives a shit.

To be fair what could be more French than being arrogant and impolite to other people? So I feel like she will fit into France just fine.

Also, I just read that she also missed the most important question in the French citizenship test. Every French citizen is required to be able to spell surrender in German.

Probably not allowed to shake a strange men's hand in her culture. Doesn't necessarily mean she's going to go full jihad.
It demonstrates a mutually exclusive system of values.

Religion can only be tolerated insofar that it doesn't impair the ability to adhere to secular law. Part of the immigration process is shaking those hands. If you are incapable of completing this process due to primitive medieval ideals, then there is little reason to tolerate you. Even Chabad & Hasidic women would be allowed to shake those mens' hands.

Literally none of this happened.
it absolutely wouldnt have happened. as if the store and employee were shocked someone would buy alcohol and they never planned for it. i guarantee it was handled the same way as when minors work as clerks. she just called a supervisor over when she saw it and that person scanned it. that is just stupid to say she told the customer to scan it

I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm saying it didn't happen to him.
I had a very similar experience:

I saw a Muslim woman at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told her how cool it was to meet her in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother her and ask her for photos or anything.

She said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but she kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing her hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard her chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw her trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in her hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Miss, you need to pay for those first.” At first she kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, she stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, she kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I had a very similar experience:

I saw a Muslim woman at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told her how cool it was to meet her in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother her and ask her for photos or anything.

She said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but she kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing her hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard her chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw her trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in her hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Miss, you need to pay for those first.” At first she kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, she stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, she kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
giphy.gif

Back