Yoshihiro Kamegai vs Miguel Cotto June 24' Brooklyn close to be done?

Yeah the writing has been on the wall for awhile. I'm sure they made a good chunk back on the Canelo fight, but Geale and someone like Kamegai (or Kirkland) aren't going to cover the rest. They have the same problem with Ward. Once those two contracts are up, I don't expect to see much of Roc Nation in boxing anymore. They've proved to be incompetent promoters with two of the best in the sport. Guys have absolutely no reason to sign with them unless Roc pays them more than they're worth.

I think that part of it too is that they picked up guys that were on the end of their careers, came with a big price tag, and were only interested in certain fights. Gotta be tough to make anything back on that. Cotto saw something - a greenhorn of a promoter - and exploited them.

Last edited:
Cotto stops him in 3. Kamegai hasn't fought anyone who can punch.
that's a complete over exaggeration. you're basing that on gomez loss to cotto 10 years ago. cotto is not the same fighter by a mile, plus the fact he has been inactive.
kamegai has never been koed. he also beat karass, who hurt thurman.
he's not on cotto's level, but he is very similar to guerrero in terms of durability.
i say it goes to UD for cotto. but i think this will be more competitive than ppl expect.

that's a complete over exaggeration. you're basing that on gomez loss to cotto 10 years ago. cotto is not the same fighter by a mile, plus the fact he has been inactive.
kamegai has never been koed. he also beat karass, who hurt thurman.
he's not on cotto's level, but he is very similar to guerrero in terms of durability.
i say it goes to UD for cotto. but i think this will be more competitive than ppl expect.
Karass is not a big puncher at all. If Karass is the best puncher on your resume then you haven't fought a puncher. He gets a rep for being tough by being unloaded on by guys with no power. Wait until a real puncher in Cotto starts touching him.

Total mismatch.

Kamegai is one of the few boxers who actively shoulder rolls the left hook with his right shoulder.

Not gonna work against Cotto

Kamegai is getting fucked up, but he is definitely durable

Kamegai got outboxed by Alfonso Gomez.

He has nothing for Cotto.

Good point. I forgot about that fight, tbh. Had the Soto Karass fights and the Guerrero fight fresher in my mind. We'll see what kind of Cotto shows up. May just box carefully for 12. A tune up for a fall payday fight and then retirement.

Good point. I forgot about that fight, tbh. Had the Soto Karass fights and the Guerrero fight fresher in my mind. We'll see what kind of Cotto shows up. May just box carefully for 12. A tune up for a fall payday fight and then retirement.
Thats what I think it is too. Cotto isn't taking any risks that aren't worth the pay. This is a fight he knows he'll win.

Strangefight, stranger still kamegai might actually take it. Cotto is not the same fighter he still has the skill and body to take it but you never know

Back