Yordenis Ugas: If I Win, I Look Forward To Fighting Errol Spence

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
On Saturday night from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Cuba's Yordenis Ugas (20-3, 9 KOs) will be one fight away from securing a world title opportunity.

In order to get there, he must overcome Ray Robinson (24-2, 12 KOs) in an IBF welterweight title eliminator.

The winner of the contest will receive a mandatory crack at the current IBF world champion Errol Spence (23-0, 20 KOs), who returns to the ring in June against an opponent to be determined in a Showtime televised card.

http://www.boxingscene.com/yordenis-ugas-if-i-win-i-look-forward-fighting-errol-spence--125320

At 31, Ugas should be more careful with his professional career and record. He should not accept last-minute fights (for a paycheck) even if he trains and keep himself in shape all the time. This professional boxing, and the fights require more than just skill, experience, and physical conditioning...

In this fight, Ugas showed he can be part of the top 10 at 147. I’m not sure yet about his style and fortitude against someone who moves and boxes like Thurman, fights well in reverse and hits like Danny, against the grueling pressure of a Potter and/or Spence, etc. Yet, his hooks can certainly be effective against Spence. I say this based on the impact that Peterson’s hooks had on Spence on their recent fight; I mean, Spence felts and was bother by Peterson’s left hooks connecting behind his ear, and Ugas seems to have this punch perfected.

Although Ugas is doing well for himself, I don't want to see Spence fighting anyone other than the Top 5. I would prefer if he relinquishes the belt than face random mandatories.

I see it happening. Thurman is fighting a non contender next. I see Danny vs Devon happening. So at least Ugas is unbeaten since moving up in weight and even as an underdog he is not a bad opponent and wants to face the champ not like the others that are avoiding him

Although Ugas is doing well for himself, I don't want to see Spence fighting anyone other than the Top 5. I would prefer if he relinquishes the belt than face random mandatories.
He can't ever do such a thing. That belt is the only way he can force public pressure to mount against everyone else to make these fights happen.

Back