Yoga questions

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by 1tripz1, May 1, 2017.

1. 1tripz1 Orange Belt

1tripz1
    Hi guys, just started to do some yoga, mainly to gain flexibility but for the other benefits too. Couple of questions:

1) if you can't complete a position due to not being flexible enough, do you just push as far as you can using correct form?

2) if a position is really painful, do you slightly ease off or push hard until the pain is unbearable and then stop the position completely?

3) Any recommendations for good free yoga videos for flexibility?

Thanks!

2. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Are you not doing Yoga with an instructor?

3. 1tripz1 Orange Belt

1tripz1
    Sadly not, can't fit any proper classes in around BJJ and family, but do have some free time at home. Not ideal I know but better than nothing!

Fahcough likes this.
  4. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    I'm not being a dick, but wouldn't finding a yoga forum be better?

1. I'd say do as best you can with what you have.
    2. If its pain, like pain pain, and not just soreness, I'd say stop what you're doing.
    3. Try a yoga forum. I know Diamond Dallas Page has a facebook page...

Badger67 and miaou like this.
  5. Palis ♔ President of the War Room

Palis
    Make sure you are wearing the tightest form fitting yoga pants money can buy. +5 to flexibility for sure.

6. nhbfan8080 Black Belt

nhbfan8080
    If any position is painful or even uncomfortable, you have to back off. In fact I think most people will never be able to perform contortionistic yoga positions even halfway decently. The limits of joint mobility is an inherited trait and you will never get past any mechanical disadvantage.

7. JauntyAngle International man of mystery

JauntyAngle
    Don't hurt yourself. The first thing is to do the position correctly, don't go so far you break form. Then push yourself hard enough so that everything engages. But never hard it really hurts.

If you can't get into a position, the best thing is to use blocks, straps and blankets.

Like: if you are doing a seated forward bend and you can't do it without totally rounding your lower back, take a belt in both hands and wrap it round the end of your feet. That way it is like you are holding your feet, and you can pull, but starting with your back straight. Another one is when you are doing warrior A, inverted warrior A or the triangle. Your upper body shouldn't completely collapse. If you can't your palm on the floor without collapsing your upper body, then put a block or a brick on the floor and rest your hand on that. The blanket is really good for doing the Marichyasana sequence, which is one of the few yoga things I still do. You often find one hip rises. You fold up the blanket into a rectangle and put under the hip/ass cheek that rises. Makes it much easier.

You can find a bunch of articles and YouTube videos. Search 'using blocks and straps in yoga' or 'using blocks and straps in yoga for beginners'.

Can't really help you with any YouTube videos, never really used them.

BTW, if you want to get flexible there are a bunch of ways to do it. Good gymnasts and classical dancers are just as flexible as dedicated yoga people, or more so in many ways. Mainly what yoga will do is force you to put in the hours. Flexibility mainly comes from time and effort, plus not being completely retarded about how you use the time. If you want to do Hindu prayers and open your nidras and stuff like that, then, yep, knock yourself out. Possibly it might give you moves like Dal Sim in Street Fighter.

corpse likes this.