Yoga for BJJ

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
First of all, my apologies. I'm sure I'm not the first to post this question.

I've been considering training Yoga as a way to increase flexibility for BJJ, partly to help with certain techniques but equally as important to help prevent injuries.

Does anyone here train Yoga? If so, which particular style, asanas etc do you practice? There is a lot of stuff on YouTube; if anything, the problem is sifting through all the information. If possible, I'd like to hear other's personal experiences with training in Yoga specifially for BJJ.

Thank you.

I've found yoga to be super helpful for my BJJ. I'm a brown belt and in my mid 30's, years of lifting weights and running left me stiff and getting less and less flexible. A back injury got me to sign up at my local yoga studio. Not only has it fixed the majority of my chronic BJJ injuries (elbow, wrists, back etc) but the balance, mobility and agility I've gained has been very useful.

The place I go is hot vinyasa and I've been going between 3-5 times a week. Like jiu jitsu, it's helpful when you start to kind of go nuts and do lots of it until you are up to speed. Progress and flexibility gains can be slow going sometimes, but if you stay consistent it has good carry over to BJJ.

I've found yoga to be super helpful for my BJJ. I'm a brown belt and in my mid 30's, years of lifting weights and running left me stiff and getting less and less flexible. A back injury got me to sign up at my local yoga studio. Not only has it fixed the majority of my chronic BJJ injuries (elbow, wrists, back etc) but the balance, mobility and agility I've gained has been very useful.

The place I go is hot vinyasa and I've been going between 3-5 times a week. Like jiu jitsu, it's helpful when you start to kind of go nuts and do lots of it until you are up to speed. Progress and flexibility gains can be slow going sometimes, but if you stay consistent it has good carry over to BJJ.
Man I've been considering this. There is a hot yoga place not even a 5 minute drive. I could probably walk there in 10 minutes from my house. I think I would be to distracted in there. I went to talk to one of the instructors once about taking classes and the women in there are wearing shit that is totally distracting. I know I'm a meathead pervert but I can't help it.

Man I've been considering this. There is a hot yoga place not even a 5 minute drive. I could probably walk there in 10 minutes from my house. I think I would be to distracted in there. I went to talk to one of the instructors once about taking classes and the women in there are wearing shit that is totally distracting. I know I'm a meathead pervert but I can't help it.
Haha.... yeah. There is some pretty spectacular eye candy it is true. Honestly though, once you're actually doing it you are way to distracted by how hard it is to pay much attention and be pervy.

Yoga's fantastic and extremely complimentary to grappling. Body control, breathing, flexibility, static strength, balance = all fantastic.

Plus if your girlfriend/wife does yoga seriously she'll start wearing yoga pants all the time and have a booty like damn. Mine's back into her college cheerleading shape and it's fuckin' fantastic.

Haha.... yeah. There is some pretty spectacular eye candy it is true. Honestly though, once you're actually doing it you are way to distracted by how hard it is to pay much attention and be pervy.
Yeah. I've tried it once in my own through a DVD. Shit isn't easy that's for sure. Especially for a guy like me with shitty flexibility.

i hear if you practice something you get better at it :)

Plus if your girlfriend/wife does yoga seriously she'll start wearing yoga pants all the time and have a booty like damn. Mine's back into her college cheerleading shape and it's fuckin' fantastic.

Pics

https://yogaforbjj.net/

His begginer videos are on YouTube. Try them 3x a week for a month and then if you feel like you're progressing, sign up for a membership to his site. Excellent videos and instruction.

Phil Migliarise has a popular yoga for BJJ DVD that I bought at least 5 years ago. Phil is a tremendous guy, but I honestly didn't get much out of it. Not as much as regular yoga videos anyway. I think yoga is yoga, and you don't have to be BJJ-specific about it.

I prefer and will only do Hot Yoga, specifically Hot Vinyasa.

Does it matter what type of yoga? From what I gather there seems to be 2 types of yoga. A sort of power yoga and a stretch and restore yoga? There seems to be a lot of different types of yoga so its hard for someone who knows nothing about it to know what to look for.

Wondering if anyone has anything to add to this since January, specifically regarding what type of yoga to do? My coach suggested Vinyasa, and I've seen that mentioned here a couple times...

Back