Yoel's striking

L

Lissove

I see a lot of people saying he doesn't have good striking or he was outstruck by this or that guy and I wonder if this not ignorance bias due Yoel being a good wrestler.

Looking at the fight as a whole and not by the rounds, Yoel has outstruck each of his ufc opponents.

Popular examples are Kennedy and Brunson, so let's see how Yoel performed:

Kennedy got outstruck for the most part of the fight. Has his 10 second flurry but I suppose it is negated by the fact that Yoel then destroyed him.

Brunson outstruck Yoel in the first, but he didn't have any big moments to definitely say he was outskilling Yoel, then in the second the stand up was even, and 3rd is when Yoel dominated Brunson with his striking.

Weidman never landed anything significant too, it even seemed that Yoel was the one landing better side kicks and stronger punches.

Who are "a lot of people?" I haven't seen many threads/posts that claim he doesn't have good striking...

bad striking, not even close to Muhammed Ali or Joe Frazier, not a good athlete

52 years old and bald, not good for sport

I haven't seen many discredit his striking. Not that it's elite or anything but it's not awful. People mostly shit on his cardio if anything

cmon. nobody thinks Kennedy outstruck him over the course of 10 minutes. Kennedy lost about 7 of those minutes, but had 2 very, very good minutes (one in each round) that probably gave him a round - especially round 2.

and then of course there's Kennedy almost wrecking him at the end of round 2 followed by stoolgate. that's what people are talking about. but anyone who saw the fight don't think Kennedy systematically beat Yoel standing. but he did have Yoel closer to KTFO'd than Yoel had Kennedy KTFO'd.....for the first 10 minutes, that is.
~~~
now, if you've seen people talking about Yoel's standup recently, they are specifically saying he probably doesn't have as good standup as Whittaker. or that he'll get beat standing by Whittaker. it's a legitimate concern. Whittaker has power, angles, youth and movement in his standup, and Yoel has power.

I've never seen anybody make that argument, but if I was to play devils advocate I'd say that Romero hasn't really faced anybody with great striking credentials other than an over the hill Machida.

but he did have Yoel closer to KTFO'd than Yoel had Kennedy KTFO'd.....for the first 10 minutes, that is.
Kennedy was closer to KTFO Romero ..for the first 10 minutes?
{<doc}

How does that even work? And what the fuck does that have to do with anything? Think before you post, please.

Romero's wrestling makes strikers hesitant. Great wrestlers have that effect.

Romero's striking is fine for MMA. Nothing special. He gets the job done. I thought Souza beat him.

I loved his striking vs Machida

His striking against Weidman looked good, especially the knee that imploded He's still my boys head.

Kennedy was closer to KTFO Romero ..for the first 10 minutes?

How does that even work? And what the fuck does that have to do with anything? Think before you post, please.

fair enough. it's all over the place. i'll try again.

TS made an argument that some people say Kennedy 'oustruck' Romero. i'm saying he didn't. OTOH, Kennedy DID almost finish Romero.

i took only the first 2 rounds, because we know what happened in the 3rd. and in the first 2 rounds, Romero beat Kennedy for the majority of it. i said 7 of 10 minutes maybe 8 of 10. but Kennedy won 1 minute each round, and in those 2 minutes, almost KTFO'd Romero.

it's semantics, really. if Kennedy loses the whole round but then almost KTFO'd Romero, did Kennedy "outstrike" Romero? i say no.

I agree with TS. I have seen plenty of people say Kennedy rocked Yoel or gave him problems and completely neglect to mention that Kennedy was whiffing air the whole night until he landed shots during an illegal glove grab. I've seen people argue that Machida was outstriking Yoel until the KO or that Weidman was up on Yoel before the KO.

The way people are talking about his striking going into the Whittaker fight you'd think he's a carbon copy of Jacare.

Back