Yet another creatine question: How fast does creatine turn into creatinine?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by physicaltherapy, Nov 11, 2007.

1. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

physicaltherapy
    Can it be mixed in my PWO drink, sit in my car for 2 hours while I'm sweat humping men in my BJJ class, and be alright to drink afterwards? Or should I just leave it (and my other PWO crap) in powder form and mix it with water afterwards in my shaker bottle?

2. MikeMartial Black Belt

MikeMartial
    I think the general consensus is to leave it in powdered form until you are ready to drink it.

But you do bring up an interesting question on the degradation time; I believe either Madmick or KK posted on this a while back, and it took "days" for a creatine mix to completely break down. Throwing "creatinine" into the Sherdog search brings up zip.

They may be some breakdown over two hours, but I can't see it being much. I'll see if I can actually dig up some numbers.

3. Sonny Titanium Belt

Sonny
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=541574

4. MikeMartial Black Belt

MikeMartial
    Great find, thanks Sonny.

5. Monger Chronically Injured

Monger

LoL, I'm fairly certain you posted a link to something as well. I remember finding a source that said it would take about 1-2 days to have significant degradation. I

6. Rjkd12 Certified Bastard

Rjkd12
    Great find sonny. What a concise and eloquent post you dug up there. :icon_chee

Edit: Actually, I tried looking this up and in the 5 minutes I devoted to this search, I found only one thing: http://www.aapspharmscitech.org/view.asp?art=pt040225

After 45 days in a fridge it was 80% creatine, and the room temp stuff was still 10% creatine. So a few hours isn't going to make any noticeable difference.

7. Sonny Titanium Belt

Sonny
    Wow, that's quite a difference between refrigerated and room temp.

8. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

physicaltherapy
    Awwwwww you guys are just jee golly gosh darn...... thanks.

9. Monger Chronically Injured

Monger
  10. MikeMartial Black Belt

MikeMartial
  11. Sonny Titanium Belt

Sonny
    Just say what everyone else says when they get banned. "My account was hacked dude."

12. Rjkd12 Certified Bastard

Rjkd12
    Haha. Holy crap. I don't blame myself 100% for this mistake though, since obviously none of you guys read my source. :redface:

I posted:
    And I typed it wrong. 45 days in the fridge it was 80% creaTININE, or only 20% creatine. Room temp was 90% creaTININE, or only 10% creatine.

So they were both pretty much waste after 45 days. But thats 45 days, we are talking about mixing a few hours before hand. I'd even say 24 hours you are still ok. Like I said before, if you put 6 grams in and 20% gets converted you still have ~5 grams of good stuff. From the above study I'd say it would take a few days to degrade 20%.

13. oyaji poi oyaji belt

oyaji poi
    Is the degradation linear though? Or does it quickly degrade then just sort of chill out the rest of the time, maybe larger particles making up 10-20% of the mix don't break down as quickly or something?

14. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

physicaltherapy
    Wow...good question...is the curve exponential initially??

15. HuMz God by armbar

HuMz
    But you have 1g of bad stuff, if you take creatine 5 times a week, that's 5g

then you die

joking, I usually use creatine PWO, and add water after my workout in the shaker

16. Rjkd12 Certified Bastard

Rjkd12
    I have no clue. The only reason why I'd think that it would degrade quickly and then let 10-20% stay as creatine is if its in equilibrium and the increase in products limits the forward rate of degradation. I don't think its an enzymatic process, and I doubt its in equilibrium or anything. I assume it would be linear since there should be equal probability that each molecule will randomly degrade. Or would it follow a exponential 1/2 life curve?

I think we are over analyzing it haha. Drink your creatine within 24-48 hours of mixing it, and if you think its gonna sit around for a while try to keep it in the fridge and also make that spoonful a little more heaping than normal.