YCM Sparring 4

I thought you did well with the jab. You could try pressing the action more. There is nothing to complain about imo with the stoppage.

@YoungCashMoney
Nice to see you back in the forums I used to follow your sparring vids way back when. Great to see that you have recovered from surgery and are back at it!
I agree with you the intensity of the sparring does not really seem like a problem. This does not seem unusual for a boxing gym, at all. The end of the match both of you were raising the pace it's not like you were bullying him.

I will say this buddy you should work on some of the basic exercises sin advocates in your spare time. I think they will help jog your physical memory so you don't end up having the balance issues as much.
Anyway welcome back o can't wait to see your future bouts

@YoungCashMoney
Nice to see you back in the forums I used to follow your sparring vids way back when. Great to see that you have recovered from surgery and are back at it!
I agree with you the intensity of the sparring does not really seem like a problem. This does not seem unusual for a boxing gym, at all. The end of the match both of you were raising the pace it's not like you were bullying him.

I will say this buddy you should work on some of the basic exercises sin advocates in your spare time. I think they will help jog your physical memory so you don't end up having the balance issues as much.
Anyway welcome back o can't wait to see your future bouts

Hey thank you, I agree I need to drill muscle memory of the basics again, I don't think it will take long because these are issues I didn't have pre-surgery. When I link up with my trainer again everything will look 200% better. For right now these are good points though, things I wouldn't think about by myself but yes most definitely need to fix those tiny mistakes so I don't pay for them one day.

I watched it again. And i overreacted yesterday. Sorry about that. I hope you will keep posting more sparring videos. Because like i said before : you are very skilled compared to most other sparring videos i see posted here.

So please ignore my stupid post from yesterday.

When I recommended working on defense I just meant making him miss (slips, etc.) and throwing mostly jabs. I agree you shouldn't be getting wailed on like Ali did because it may likely have damaged him in the long run.

Keep up what you're doing, getting sharper and more efficient, I can see the improvement already.

I watched it again. And i overreacted yesterday. Sorry about that. I hope you will keep posting more sparring videos. Because like i said before : you are very skilled compared to most other sparring videos i see posted here.

So please ignore my stupid post from yesterday.

Thank you for actually admitting that, most people wouldn't. Trust me when I tell you I wouldn't lose my cool on anybody in sparring, no matter what, anger gets people clipped. I just have a drive to answer back if I'm caught, to keep the work even and continue giving good work, just caught him with the bodyshot in the right spot.

Dude, please don't stop posting sparring videos, I love watching you work and I'm very much invested in your story. Plus, most of the people here are Muay Thai guys so don't really understand boxing gyms.

I didn't think it looked like you lost your cool at the end. Only that you were trying to seal the round for the non existent judges that you MUST take into consideration when preparing for fight time.

That being said, you looked great but gave up too much time trying to counter your opponent. I know that you're heavy handed and good at countering but waiting for the opening will lose you rounds against a more busy fighter, that's where the jab comes in, it helps you rack up points as well as draw out counters.

BTW. How is post brain surgery treating you? Did you end up needing T-replacement?

Dude, please don't stop posting sparring videos, I love watching you work and I'm very much invested in your story. Plus, most of the people here are Muay Thai guys so don't really understand boxing gyms.

I didn't think it looked like you lost your cool at the end. Only that you were trying to seal the round for the non existent judges that you MUST take into consideration when preparing for fight time.

That being said, you looked great but gave up too much time trying to counter your opponent. I know that you're heavy handed and good at countering but waiting for the opening will lose you rounds against a more busy fighter, that's where the jab comes in, it helps you rack up points as well as draw out counters.

BTW. How is post brain surgery treating you? Did you end up needing T-replacement?

Hey, I won't. Thank you for the compliments & the critique,

Post brain surgery I feel like I never had surgery. I decided not to do T-replacement and am on a pill called Clomiphene Citrate that boosts my natural testosterone, however my testosterone has not recovered on its own. Need to figure a way around that.

Hey, I won't. Thank you for the compliments & the critique,

Post brain surgery I feel like I never had surgery. I decided not to do T-replacement and am on a pill called Clomiphene Citrate that boosts my natural testosterone, however my testosterone has not recovered on its own. Need to figure a way around that.
from what I remember it looks like you put on some muscle.

Don't stop posting your sparring vids. We're just trying to help. But something must be wrong if you're consisntely hurting your partners.

You do punch too hard and a bit out of control. Example: 1:45. That hook was soooo powerful that when you missed, you overextended and knocked yourself off balance. I mean I doubt you shadowbox your hooks like that so why are you fighting like that?

Ok I will stop posting sparring videos here since this seems to be the response I consistently get : I am working here at 50-60% of my ability, I am working to get rust off. I am not in training, I spar once a week while I'm completely out of shape just to not forget everything I've been taught. These guys are active amateurs who are currently fighting, and yes they are trying to hurt me. I am not trying to hurt them, you have it the wrong way. A rampage is me trying to land a hook to the body? I could try and really hurt him next time just to prove what would happen if I was actually trying to hurt him, but that wouldn't be cool and I would never do that to somebody unless they wronged me one way or another. I am not trying to hurt anybody I spar. I slipped his right hand and threw my hook to the body, and it just caught him correctly. The last hook to the body I tried to throw is the only "rampage" like thing I did in the 5 punches total I had thrown in the previous 10 seconds, but that was more instinct of when I have someone on the ropes in a compromised position, make them pay. I wasn't thinking "I'm gonna hurt this guy screw him" or anything like that. Far from.

When I say I'm going 50-60%, that does not mean 50-60% speed/power, those for the most part stay what they are, I've been taught to punch with technique and compromising my speed/power will compromise my timing as well as my technique. I mean that I level my boxing skill to where my opponent is at typically and work around it.

I have no idea why you think my sparring partner was not trying to hurt me, though, I guarantee he is, and I expect all my sparring partners to go 100% with me and nothing less unless I specifically state otherwise, which I will never do. I give them a shell of myself so I can get better. I want to be the best I can be, and I've never once cried or complained about getting my ass whooped by some of the best amateurs/pros in the US, who were telling everybody they would knock me out. I embrace that shit because thats what will make me better. Doesn't change the fact that I still for the most part never go 100%. This is my 4th time in the ring in over 400 days, I have 3 amateur fights and 13 months of active experience, I'm not some pro taking advantage of people.

I really could rain down 8-10 punch combinations on these guys, but I don't because I am just working to get the rust off and don't want to risk hurting them/looking like an asshole.

An ego problem? If I get hit it is my natural instinct to try and return the favor, This is boxing, not some sissy game. I've gotten my ass beat so bad a couple times, didn't change at all how I felt about my ego, just like when this happens nothing changes. I am literally just working. This is boxing, not the most peaceful sport.

I'd rather not have comments about my "ego" or my "sparring etiquette", if you haven't seen me go on a rampage, u are in no position to say I went on a rampage, and if you don't know me personally, u are in no position to say I have an ego problem. Comment on things I can work on in my boxing game, offensively and defensively, don't try and judge somebody you don't know.

After having my life on the line the last year, that was literally the biggest ego check I've ever received and put the world in perspective for me. None of this shit matters, thank god for your health and pray you remain healthy. Having an ego goes out the window when ur health does.
If it’s not an ‘ego’ thing, then why were you jumping around after dropping him with the liver shot like you’d just won the world championship...?
It’s whatever to us here, just don’t say ‘my ego’s not important’ or stuff like that when it really is.
You were both going at the same pace (50-60%) until the last round, when you decided to turn it up and got wild, even tho the kid was clearly going slower than you.

Part of the adrenaline response imo. You cant just stand there or you'll pass out.

If it’s not an ‘ego’ thing, then why were you jumping around after dropping him with the liver shot like you’d just won the world championship...?
It’s whatever to us here, just don’t say ‘my ego’s not important’ or stuff like that when it really is.
You were both going at the same pace (50-60%) until the last round, when you decided to turn it up and got wild, even tho the kid was clearly going slower than you.

I had a lot of pent up energy and was actually frustrated that he went down, at the last split second of the clip ull see me put my hands up and I told my boy "I swear I didn't mean to man", because he was joking with me before hand bout how I'm going to knock somebody out, but I swore to him this time it won't happen for sure.

U don't know me, at all. No place to comment on where I am mentally, or anything in that matter to my character. Stay out of my threads, this is a critique video, not a psych evaluation.

Also, the guy freely admits to me that he is trying to ko me in there, his intensity is 100%. If u can't see that, u are an idiot. I am lowering my intensity/ability significantly to work on things, but of course just cuz he's at 100% intensity doesn't mean he's going to bum rush me and swing wild. I have fast sharp counters & and power in both hands, bum rushing me is a quick way to get dropped even if its by accident. He is going 100%, just very cautious.

YCM, just watched this and thought that you could find it useful.

YCM, just watched this and thought that you could find it useful.

Thank u !

Don't stop posting your sparring vids. We're just trying to help. But something must be wrong if you're consisntely hurting your partners.

You do punch too hard and a bit out of control. Example: 1:45. That hook was soooo powerful that when you missed, you overextended and knocked yourself off balance. I mean I doubt you shadowbox your hooks like that so why are you fighting like that?

Hurting with a body shot barely counts tho, it is way more about placement and timing than it is about power when it comes to the body. Hurting to the body I would think ur doing something right, not wrong.

That hook at 1:45 was actually me leaving my back foot in a bucket mistake more so than throwing it with too much power, it didn't have much on it I don't think. I land the exact same shot the next round but I step in with it with no issues. I shadow box and hit the bag exactly the way I box, if u check out the bag work video u will see a spitting image of my sparring self. Of course I still make mistakes sometimes (like with that hook not stepping in and getting the right angle with it).

I will probably upload a shadow boxing video tomorrow night as I'm probably not gonna spar again this week. Still recovering from the flu and it has me feeling very weak so I may just wait, no rush since I'm not in training right now anyway.

Thank u for the reply. I sound like a broken record but trust me when I say : I make a conscious effort to watch the power on my shots each and every time I get in there with guys my size or smaller. Only thing I don't lower is the speed. I don't enjoy hurting guys in sparring at all, especially if they are nice/cool. The last sparring vid I did indeed hit the dude with full power because he was 10 lbs heavier than me but mainly because he was talking nonsense before we sparred.

That is an example of me having spurts of 100% power/speed because the dude was bigger than me, talking mad shit and all that so he deserved it. One tough son of a bitch btw. I see why them soviets/russians dominate pro boxing. I was much younger then and smaller not quite as good mentally as I am now, but still no one takes shots from me like that and stays up typically sparring gear or not, he ate em for breakfast.

Back