YCM First day back since brain surgery! Critique sparring

YoungCashMoney

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
For once in my life my testosterone is normal!! First day back in the gym since I got my tumor removed, hopped straight into sparring because I miss it so much.. Obvious signs of rust, aware that my timing is off as well as my shots are overthrown. Also seems like I need to cut the ring more

If there is anything you can add to help me improve my game, please let me know!

blue headgear

Last edited:
Congrats on getting your test and health back, you must feel like a completely different person.

That was really entertaining. When you were waiting to be cleared what kind of drills did you do for your defensive movement?

Im not a boxer but it seemed like you were very aggressive/over anxious to do damage. It's understandable since it was your first day back + having way higher testosterone levels but I would try to be more patient like using smart pressure instead of over throwing your shots and trying to take him out from the get go.

Maybe establish the jab and press until you sense your pressure really opens up opportunities

Last edited:
Welcome back CashMoney! Congrats man! You must be fucking stoked, so good to see you in good health!

Nice vid, you haven't lost it. It was weird seeing you so offensive and pressuring like that. Was that deliberate or was it just pent up energy from the time away? I like it though. Obviously you were overzealous and went too wide and took too many risks and all that, but it's a far cry from the potshotting backfoot style.

It's hard to give advice because you are just coming back. I'm sure you'll settle into it again soon. One thing, when you throw the lead hook you drop your rear hand pretty much all the time. Dangerous when you're trading.

Your jab looks sharp still. Use it a little more and set the shots up with it a little more.

PS: be smart about the head trauma you're both dealing and taking in sparring. I know you are excited to be back, but protect that noggin if you want to have longevity and extend that to your sparring partners as well.

Wow...nice to hear that you've been able to train again. Will check the vid in a bit.

Welcome back CashMoney! Congrats man! You must be fucking stoked, so good to see you in good health!

Nice vid, you haven't lost it. It was weird seeing you so offensive and pressuring like that. Was that deliberate or was it just pent up energy from the time away? I like it though. Obviously you were overzealous and went too wide and took too many risks and all that, but it's a far cry from the potshotting backfoot style.

It's hard to give advice because you are just coming back. I'm sure you'll settle into it again soon. One thing, when you throw the lead hook you drop your rear hand pretty much all the time. Dangerous when you're trading.

Your jab looks sharp still. Use it a little more and set the shots up with it a little more.

PS: be smart about the head trauma you're both dealing and taking in sparring. I know you are excited to be back, but protect that noggin if you want to have longevity and extend that to your sparring partners as well.

A little bit of both, the way I look at it, the hell I've endured the last year ( and even years, from the injuries I kept getting and being set back ), I figured I need to start imposing my will a lot more on people and in my fights.

Also been itching to hit something for a while now so I was very anxious to try and see what I can still do. I'm going to really work on that with the lead hook, ur right thats a dangerous mistake.

I agree, need to throw my jab way more but hopefully as the weeks go by its just rust, and I can get back in a groove that utilizes my pent up energy as well as the smarts I would use before.

Congrats on getting your test and health back, you must feel like a completely different person.

That was really entertaining. When you were waiting to be cleared what kind of drills did you do for your defensive movement?

Im not a boxer but it seemed like you were very aggressive/over anxious to do damage. It's understandable since it was your first day back + having way higher testosterone levels but I would try to be more patient like using smart pressure instead of over throwing your shots and trying to take him out from the get go.

Maybe establish the jab and press until you sense your pressure really opens up opportunities

Most definitely just the itch to hit for contact after being off for so long. For defensive drills while I was off I just shadow boxed a lot, watching myself in the mirror and used visualization to what I think would work if certain punches were coming at me. honestly my defense felt pretty shaky compared to usual but that could be because I was coming forward more than usual.

A little bit of both, the way I look at it, the hell I've endured the last year ( and even years, from the injuries I kept getting and being set back ), I figured I need to start imposing my will a lot more on people and in my fights.

Also been itching to hit something for a while now so I was very anxious to try and see what I can still do. I'm going to really work on that with the lead hook, ur right thats a dangerous mistake.

I agree, need to throw my jab way more but hopefully as the weeks go by its just rust, and I can get back in a groove that utilizes my pent up energy as well as the smarts I would use before.
I think being more active can work well for you. Seems like you lost a little ground to pressure fighters before simply due to not doing enough. As long as you are responsible with your defense and don't overcommit I think it can only be a good thing.

Anyway, welcome back! Stay safe and good luck on your journey!

Good stuff.

Overall you did well. The only thing I can see is that you don't setup your power shots very well which allows people to pivot and counter/control you with their jab.
If you stop throwing those big shots blind and set them up with a couple jabs to the head and to the body, you will be fantastic :)

Congrats on the return as well

Congratulations on getting back to action!
I have watched your videos in the past.
I especially liked your padwork videos with Senior.
Tremendous speed! I am looking forward to more of your stuff.

Back