Yakuza0

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by warriorscomeout, Jan 30, 2017.

1. warriorscomeout Silver Belt

warriorscomeout
    If I hadn't been bored and watching Angry Joe I would have never found this gem.

What an excellent magnificent game. Does everything right that Sleeping Dogs did plus doing right everything Mafia 3 did wrong plus a touch of Saints Row.

Story, fights, side missions, climate, WOW.

Not a truly open sandbox but close enough.

It's a fist fighting game so no miniguns but I love that (btw Japan has two digit gun homicides, yes, as in 15 people killed by guns in a country of 80 million a year)

If you liked Sleeping Dogs, then this is what you will love (and yes I know the Yakuza game series is legend).

Like watching a classic Beat Takeshi movie with some off the wall JRPG madness.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. Mga223 Yellow Card

Mga223
    Is this co op online or just single player?

3. electricfuneral Red Belt

electricfuneral
    I watched the review. I might buy this

4. Theprospect26 Black Belt

Theprospect26
    I'm tempted to buy this, but i've played Yakuza before and not sure I want to pay full price. I think i'll wait for a sale.

5. Rebelfett Green Belt

Rebelfett
    Loved the older chapters of the series and I'm supposed to be getting the latest installment in the mail this week from gamefly

6. Eazy123 Brown Belt

Eazy123
    When was Yakuza ever Sleeping Dogs? I've only played 1-3 but unless it's drastically changed since then I'd never have compared the two other than Asians.

And it looks like the same tired-ass combat. Might rent or get it on sale.

mushishi likes this.
  7. Naramie Super Bash Brothers

Naramie
    Really fun game with alot of Japanese centric mini games but very niche. It's one of those you either love or hate it type of games. Cool story, interesting characters. Combat system is enjoyable if ignore the crappy collision detection and lack of polish that you see in AAA titles. It's a huge franchise in Japan.

I have only played Yakuza 1-4. I haven't touch 5 or 0, so I don't know how they play.

Rebelfett likes this.
  8. HeDucking Im so Groovy

HeDucking
    Definitely buying this down the line. Too busy currently with other things but this is one of the games Ive been looking forward too.

ThulsaDooom likes this.
  9. HereticBD Gold Belt

HereticBD
    That's probably the smart move. It's a decent series, but I find it gets way too much love in reviews. It's really not all that remarkable. It's just a little different. When I hear shit like "One of the best open worlds you can experience!", I'm like "yeah, no."

The story is good, but the actual game play in nearly every aspect, always seems a little behind everything else. Tons to do, but nothing you really want to do for all that long.

GtehMVP likes this.
  10. blaseblah Black Belt

blaseblah
    Well there aren't that many great open city games you can experience are there? There's GTA and Saints Row and that's pretty much it. Yakuza is up there.

11. Nights1515 Black Belt

Nights1515
    Been playing it recently, it's a really great game. As a fan of old school games, this really feels old school Dreamcast style game. Plus the story is bad ass, while the side stories are goofy enough to have fun with. So it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's like Shenmue and River City Ransom had a baby.

Rebelfett, Bubblun and ThulsaDooom like this.
  12. ThulsaDooom Purple Belt

ThulsaDooom
    I'd say the comparison is fair with the story centered around an Asian crime drama with an emphasis on hand to hand combat. I haven't played it but a lot of people say 0 is the best Yakuza game yet. But, if you aren't feeling the series after playing 1-3 (3 is probably the least favorite game among fans) then a rent or big sale is a smart move.

13. Eazy123 Brown Belt

Eazy123
    Asian crime drama, okay. The combat in Sleeping Dogs is leagues above Yakuza. Far less clunky. If anything I would say Yakuza is closer to Shenmue, at least to me.

14. HereticBD Gold Belt

HereticBD
    It is. Most consider it the spiritual successor to Shenmue. Lots of similarities, especially in how it's open world is designed, and the combat.

15. Theprospect26 Black Belt

Theprospect26

If only I could get a job as a forklift operator in Yakuza.

16. HereticBD Gold Belt

HereticBD
    When it came to realism, Shenmue did not fuck around. Need money? Get a tedious, soul crushing job.

jlagman and cabear like this.
  17. MCS ALL the shots!

MCS
    One of my favorite series ever. Missed 5 due to the huge PS3 file size, no europe retail. Been playing zero now and it's up there with the best in the series, right there with 3. You have a ton of fun stuff to do and a great story with a deep combat system (3 upgradable stances). I love that they tell Kazuma's & Goro's story from the beginning.

Rebelfett and Bubblun like this.
  18. GIBLERTBAPTISTA Sloppy HW brawl enthusiast

GIBLERTBAPTISTA
    Playstation exclusive?

[​IMG]

Rebelfett and TheGZA like this.
  19. Joseph Budden Yellow Card

Joseph Budden
    Just copped

I'll be back in 6 months after i've put in the 80 hours to complete the game with my review

20. warriorscomeout Silver Belt

warriorscomeout
    I found the combat in Sleeping Dogs completely predictable. Rock Paper Scissors. I knew how to beat every single dude without taking a hit. I maxed out every style and won every single tournament in the game. I did love the game. Story in Y0 is better. Open world in SD is better if you prefer a huge empty space you need a car to get around in.

I've gotten to the point in Y0 where I can beat just about everybody but things can get a little scary at times. I didn't know how to use the weapons I've been buying until this weekend, thought they were some boost mechanism that you just equipped.

GTA compared to Y0 and SD is just rampant psychopath sandbox. Watch Dogs 1 and 2 is shitty GTA. Saints Row is extreme parody fun. Witcher 3 is sandbox awesomeness defined but Bloodborne fanboys can't appreciate it.

Rebelfett likes this.