Yakuza and Judgment series thread

Best Yakuza game

• Total voters
We did a yakuza dress up night yesterday with gf

Got to use my best Kiryu voice on a dude who took my seat.

Fucking loving Yakuza 0. Amazing game.. killer cut scenes. Yakuza Kiwami is coming out August 29th which I just pre-ordered so I could get the steelbook edition.

Last edited:
I played Yakuza 0....then went and tracked down 3-5 and played them. What other series has you solving problems at the orphanage you run, being a teen idol, hunting a legendary bear, brawling everyone, crying in the rain...I could go on.

I bought 3 a while back when it released in Japan, thinking I could get by without a translation guide. Lolno

There's just so much to do in this game it's insane. Wish they kept golf, but the vibe is second to none and I can't wait for the remaster of 1 and then 6 next year. Only wish the fighting mechanics would get the Sleeping Dogs treatment - it's almost archaic.

so i want to maybe play this game, but not sure if the arcadey combat is going to get boring quickly. the selling point is the japanese aesthetic. what do you mean not fully an open world. it's not a sand box? i kinda just want to walk around the virtual world.

so i want to maybe play this game, but not sure if the arcadey combat is going to get boring quickly. the selling point is the japanese aesthetic. what do you mean not fully an open world. it's not a sand box? i kinda just want to walk around the virtual world.

It's not an open world so you wont be able to just walk around the virutal world.

You'll get bored of the combat. There are different styles to learn but to me it's just padding. The "sandbox" is a few streets by a few streets, but there are like a dozen or so minigames as diversions. A lot of it is atmosphere. If ever a game made me want to visit Japan it's Shenmue, Persona 5 and this.

Down to the story - Did you ever play Metal Gear? Because this is like that in that it's LONG-ass cut scenes between actually getting to do something. But I found the story to be damn good so far. Not that MG isn't a good story it's just nonsensical, while this is very noir-esque.

I still really enjoy the game but it's not a pick up and play for 20 minutes type deal.

Last edited:
So chronologically this game is first in the series right? Always meant to play the Yakuza series, I'd like to start off here. I heard there's a remake of the first game coming out, which would be a nice next step. Hopefully can get the other games released or remade on the PS4.

So chronologically this game is first in the series right? Always meant to play the Yakuza series, I'd like to start off here. I heard there's a remake of the first game coming out, which would be a nice next step. Hopefully can get the other games released or remade on the PS4.

Yes it's the first chronologically. You explore the backstory of two of the series' major characters and some minor.

The film is probably the best video game adaptation ever.

Pity Majima and Kiryu don't look like themselves:)

You'll get bored of the combat. There are different styles to learn but to me it's just padding. The "sandbox" is a few streets by a few streets, but there are like a dozen or so minigames as diversions. A lot of it is atmosphere. If ever a game made me want to visit Japan it's Shenmue, Persona 5 and this.

Down to the story - Did you ever play Metal Gear? Because this is like that in that it's LONG-ass cut scenes between actually getting to do something. But I found the story to be damn good so far. Not that MG isn't a good story it's just nonsensical, while this is very noir-esque.

I still really enjoy the game but it's not a pick up and play for 20 minutes type deal.

thanks for the info. i will probably pass on it until it becomes cheaper

I bought this used at gamestop to give it a try. Really fun game. I fucked up cause I didn't buy any healing items for a level and it was hard as fuck trying to make it through. This reminds me of games like Streets of Rage but with a story or at least better story.

I didn't discover this game through reviews. I don't how it generated so much hype suddenly but damn, it sucks being this late to the party.

Yakuza 1 remake coming up on Aug 29th.

I just realized this the other day. Then realized I hadn't finished 5 and had the finale left. Finale being as long as a normal game. Now NG+ on Yakuza 0 as prep.

Yakuza Kiwami should be interesting, it was a ps2 game and the story was a lot tighter I believe. I still think anyone should play 0 first. 80's setting is awesome and you get to see where Kiryu and Majima came from.

Back