XTrainer's Log: It's important to pack on mass.

If I find time to go clean house in D&S after being gone so much, it's going to look like a power trip...

Today
Let's try this logging thing again...

Bench
135x6
185x3
225x2
250x1
275x1
285x1+F
285x1+F
285x2--There it is. Worrying about my injured pec just robbed me of my aggression on the first two attempts. Pleased that I could get this even after expending so much energy on the two previous sets.
250x5
225x8
205xA bunch

Chins
BWx10
+45lbsx3
+90x2
+135x1--Wanted to go heavier, but after pulling so heavy yesterday, decided that wasn't happening.
+90x6
+50x10
BWx17
Bar I was working on today was a lot thicker and slicker that what I'm used to...I would be pleased if I could do so much as match the numbers I have hit on nicer bars. No deadlifting next week, so I'll definitely do some heavy chins.

3:00 heavy bag+70-something pound one arm kettlebell swingsx20--3 rounds

Bunch of curls and lateral raises.

What is your pec injury like? I have something similar possibly. Basically a few inches in from my left armpit. It almost feels like a pulled muscle or something. Is that what you have?

Dang , youve made alot of progress since I was last on these logs. I always remember checkin out your log back in the day, and it looks like youre alot bigger and stronger now. Great work man keep it up

What is your pec injury like? I have something similar possibly. Basically a few inches in from my left armpit. It almost feels like a pulled muscle or something. Is that what you have?

Yeah, probably same thing. Felt like I strained it a little bit in December, and then reinjured it somewhat worse a few weeks back. I'm almost healed, but not quite. And then, of course, there's the mental aspect, as my workout today shows...I'm cautious about pushing (no pun intended) too hard.

Dang , youve made alot of progress since I was last on these logs. I always remember checkin out your log back in the day, and it looks like youre alot bigger and stronger now. Great work man keep it up

Thanks, if nothing else, I'm persistent, and over the long term, that seems to be working.

Terrible logging habits (but good training habits!).I'll do something of a "week in review":

Tuesday
Power cleans and front squats. Cleans felt bad, a lot of distraction, didn't go heavier than 260-something, then some lighter stuff for volume. Front squats included a 330 double, and other stuff. Core work.

Thursday
Hit a 262 push press on my fourth attempt, after a second work-up (5lb PR). Quite of bit of push pressing and pressing volume. Pull ups up to two sets at BW+105lbs, then one of BWx21. Other assistance.

Saturday
Squats up to two singles at 392 (technically, each was a 7lb PR). Several more heavy singles, then some volume work. Power clean practice. More squats. Heavy core work (GHD sit ups with 24kg kettlebell behind head).

Sunday
Actually have this one nicely paper logged.
135x11--Working in with someone, didn't want to throw them off, so no warm up with bar, tried to compensate with lots of reps here. This was a mistake, I didn't feel properly warmed up for the rest of my benching.
185x3
225x2
250x1
275x1
290x1--Wanted 2.
290x1
(reset)
260x2
280x1
290x1--Hmph.
(reset)
225x1
250x1
275x1
285x1--Wasn't going to get it this time around, either.
225x8

Chins
BWx10
+45lbsx3
+90x2
+135x1
+150x1
+100x5
+100x4
BWx20

Box jumps in between sets. First time since last year when I hurt myself pretty bad doing these LOL. Worked up to a sternum-height jump. Felt good. Will do higher soon.

Raises.

Curls.

Today
Summary:

Power Cleans: Didn't warm up well, didn't feel good, but the first rep I actually failed was 286, which is my all-time PR. So not terrible?

Box Jumps: Think I got a small height PR. This means nothing to you, but for my records: 2x20kg, 2x25kg. 2x10kg, 2x15lbs stacked on tall box.

Front Squats: Worked up to 335x2 (gotta be a double PR?), then 315x4 (sweet), then a few more reps.

GHD sit ups w/24kg kettlebell behind head. TOUGH.

Today
Felt tired for several reasons, not the least of which was a compressed schedule, yesterday would have ordinarily been a rest day. Still, some good lifting was done.

Press: Worked up to 214, finally hit it after two work-ups and 4 attempts (1lb PR :D). Bunch of other pressing and push pressing for volume.

Pull Ups: Worked up to a BW+115x5 set, followed by BW+115x4, each rep paused. BWx21 after those.

A bunch of BW dips.

100lb kettlebell swingsx32+20 clap push ups. Fun...

Curlz.

Just jotting down a couple notes...

Sunday, I failed a very close 290x2 bench. Better than last week. Still lacking confidence. Also, I feel like my pec has been like 95% healed for a long time...might need to take a more substantial break from benching to let it heal the rest of the way. BW-only chins because of messed up schedule/deadlifting today.

Today, pulled two 545s and two 565s. May attempt 590 next time if I feel good. Also did some squatting today, a bunch of singles at 350-something, then doubles and triples. Will squat 400+ next time I go heavy.

For those of you betting, quite reasonably, that I would deadlift 600 before squatting 400, sorry to disappoint...squatted 403 today (11lb PR), deadlift still at 590.

I thought your wack Front squat to backsquat ratio killed you. But holy shit, you're alive. And your a 400 lb squatter ! Congrats, X !

It's not such a bad assumption. In fact, it's going to get worse, new front squat PRs are coming very soon. 380+ within the next couple of weeks.

I may be switching to high bar back squats instead of the kinda low-bar/full depth hybrid I've proven to be an utter failure at...in theory, the latter should allow you to use more weight, but I'm terrible at it and the former feels so much more natural. So I might actually be able to best my low bar numbers within a few months if I work on it.

Also, if I hit a mere 2lb PR on bench tomorrow, I'll have a 1300 total. Hmm...

Back