+15lbsx5
+20lbsx5
+20lbsx5

Squat
200x5
225x5
240x5
280x5

I was having such a bad day. 6 hours of sleep on squat day and stress is not good. So I skipped 260x5. I think I have really bad squat technique b/c it feels like I almost pulled my ham/groin on my left leg. And my low back is giving me trouble since I GM'd the last rep of squat.

On the plus side chin's were really cool. I want to get strong enough now to be able to work out with one armed chins. At a 200lb weight at least.

I remember IA say that people should work on form, but its really hard to get a client who just squatted 315 to go back down to 225. At the time (about 4 months ago) I thought "that's stupid. We should always work on form, 225 is good enough". Now I'm just thinking, let me just rep 315 and work on form with 315. Its a lot harder to go down in weight than I thought. Really a mental problem. But I definitely need to work on squat form. I can barely hit depth without my tail tucking in and my back staying tight. I have to work on flexibility...

Max testing: 225 bench
overhead 135 fail...really gay.

Max testing: 335x1 250x0 squat

380x1 deadlift
410x0
390x0

Max testing: 335x1 250x0 squat

380x1 deadlift
410x0
390x0

Chins
+20lbs x5 YouTube - 5 Pull Ups +20lbs
+25lbs x5
+25lbs x5
+27.5lbs x5
+30lbs x4

First one was of pull ups not chins, I messed up...

Curls
80x8
80x6
80x6

Fat bar grip holds/ levering, pinching

took 90mins...lol

BTW I'm not with IA anymore

Incline Barbell Bench Press
155lbs x3x3

DB Bench Press
140lbs x8x3
140lbs x4

Overhead Press (from pins)
95lbs x8x2
95lbs x6

Tricep Pushdowns
60lbs x10
75lbs x10
85lbs x10

Ab Machine

74lbs x10
78lbs x10
78lbs x10

Squats
275lbs x5 x3

GHR

Pendlay Rows
135lbs x6
145lbs x6
150lbs x6
155lbs x6

BB curl
85lbs x8 x2
85lbs x4

Calf Raises on Power Squat Machine
315lbs x15
405lbs x15
455lbs x15

I hurt my back/groin with squats today...again. I'm pretty inflexible, and my want to go deep threatens my lifting career...I don't know the flaw in my technique, but I'm guessing I'm tail tucking because I'm squatting down as opposed to back, or I could have just gone too deep and pulled my groin. I think it was a combo of both. I did it on a 225lb warm-up, so I waited a bit, then did my work set. Nothing major though, I'll probably still deadlift Sunday since its not really hurting anymore. I'm just really sore.

So I got sick, and haven't lifted since my squat day. I've always ramped up the weights, and now that I've kept them static, I can really feel it...my groin is fine, my back is fine, I just got some nasty throat virus or something. It doesn't help that my girlfriend is sick either...anyway, I've just been eating and thinking, and reading, and have come up with something.

I've only been lifting for 5.5 months, and more like 4 months without deloads. I've still got about 2+ months to get big. My weight hasn't changed much, but I have gotten a lot leaner. I'm now gonna take advantage of beginner gains, and try to gain 2lbs per week. Even if I get a little fat, I'm not afraid. I want to be big and strong. If I get fat well I've learned my lesson. My bible is dbcb's dbcb314's Tips for the Broke Weightlifter - Iron Addicts Forums.

Another thing, my workout today:

Beginner Burpees
10x6 (30s rest)

I feel great! I've been skipping conditioning, but seeing as how I eventually want to do grappling when I get out of college, I need to bring up my work capacity. Or I might just get addicted to Iron...

I visited the tire store as well, but they were closed, so to reward myself for the 20min walk there, I bought a bag of chips for $2.79. They were Sun Chips. I ate them all. I thought, man I need some protein, so I ate a can of tuna and some BCAA's.

200lbs+ HERE I COME!

Beginner Burpees
10x12 (30s rest)

My core is sore from Mondays "Burpees". I've been eating 3-4k Calories a day, usually in the form of Ramen. at least 1g/lb of protein, usually around 1.4, needs to be at 300g, which is greater than 1.5g/lb. Need more chicken and protein shakes. Hopefully by the end of this week (Sunday) I'll be a solid 190lb, which means the scale should be at like 194lbs. Hopefully.

Squat
280x5
285x5
295x5

GHR (assisted)
10, 10, 14

Bent Row
155x6
160x6
165x6
175x6

BB curl
85x8
85x8
85x7

Calf Raises
5 plates (on each side) x15
6 plates x15
7 plates x15
8 plates x15

Screw this 5lb every time stuff. I'm going to do way more than that. On an off note, maybe this gigantic PR on squat has something to do with me not jacking off all week (on purpose of course). I notice I'm more aggressive, and every girl looks hotter than normal.

"May the gods stand with me, for they cannot stand against me."

Bench Press
170lbs x5
185lbs x5
195lbs x5

Incline DB Bench
100lbs x3 sets x8 reps
100lbs x6 reps

assistance...whatever

DB Press
40lbs x8
50lbs x5

too light...

60lbs x10

then I realized SBPR called for 3x8...
80lbs x8

DB Skull Crushers
65lbs x3 sets x10 reps

Cable Crunches
170lbs x10
215lbs x10
215lbs x5ish

Overall good workout. My weights getting up there. I'm 193lbs in the morning right now thanks to ramen. I do think once I get to 205 I'll tone down the fattening up and lean mass/recomp again. My shoulders giving me some problems. If it continues I'll have to take out exercises to see what is bothering me.

I think, given your age and training goals, it would be helpful to add some repetition-effort work. Some regular sessions in the 8-10 range will still contribute/maintain strength gains while gaining size. That rep range will also pave the way for later strength gains in the lower reps. It will develop your work capacity, too (which also will help you get stronger).

Deadlift
330lbs x 5 reps x3 sets

Leg Press
3 plates a side x10 reps
4 plates a side x10 reps

Chin-Ups
+20lbs x6 reps
+20lbs x4 reps
+10lbs x6 reps
+10lbs x4 reps

Hammer Curl
80lbs x8 reps x3 sets

Decent workout, deads felt heavy, I'm in a rush so I can't type more...damn school.

And thanks for the advice McClure, I appreciate it. I'm supposed to be doing rep work, if you were viewing the beginning of my log, I couldn't post my full routine due to the condition of my previous trainer, but now while on another routine I should be. It's just I keep doing 3x3 instead of 3x5 so I can keep on going heavy...big mistake.

On a side note, lots of ramen has my weight up to 193ish. Wooot! its gonna go down with this busy week though...

Incline Bench Press
155lbs x5 reps x2 sets
165lbs x5 reps

Dumbbell Bench Press
140lbs x8 reps x2 sets
140lbs x6 reps +0 (failure)

Military Press
95lbs x8
95lbs x6 +0 (failure)

Tricep Pushdowns
65lbs x10
70lbs x10
75lbs x10

Ab Machine
78lbs x10 reps x2 sets
82lbs x10

School means I can't write anymore

Squat
295lbs x5
300lbs x5
305lbs x4 +1 not to depth

GHR
5 negatives

Bent Row
160lbs x6 reps x4 sets

BB Curl
85lbs x8 reps x2 sets
85lbs x4 reps

The squats were insanely brutal, I think I've got a taste at a hard workout. I couldn't rack the weight afterward so a guy had to come help me. I was going as low as possible, but I feel the last rep wasn't to depth. After resting for five minutes after the squat workout, I decided to do a set of GHRs instead of three, due to being tired, and wanting to squat more next time. Rows were pretty low weight, but hey, my squats make up for it. My back is a bit sore, I might have tweaked it, or it can be the back pump. I might switch GHR for hypers to strengthen my back.

I've also gotten kind of fat from eating too much ramen...I might replace 1/4 packs of ramen with olive oil, and take way more protein shakes.

I finished this with a contrast shower, and we'll see how beat up I am tomorrow.

Bench
195lbs x5 reps x2 sets
195lbs x2 reps +0 (spotter made me grind a third one, i.e. past failure; my fault for not telling him to rack it)

Incline DB Bench
100lbs x8 reps
100lbs x7 reps

DB Shoulder Press
70lbs x7 reps
70lbs x6 reps

Another shitty upper body day. So I suppose my bench day was good, up about 15lbs from last bench day. But my assistance has been sucking balls. I've been doing the DB exercises for all of my 6 months of lifting, so maybe they are stale. I really don't know how to tweak the assistance for IA's SPBR, so I'm gonna go off it. My frame work will still be Press/Squat/Bench/Deadlift, and it might end up similar, but whatever, I'm not doing SPBR anymore. For the next 1-2 weeks I'm going to do a semi-deload. I'm going to just do the core lifts, and that's it. Then I'll add in one assistance exercise and see how that affects anything. I think by following my own made up routine I'll have a better feeling of liberty, and not feel as frantic when something goes wrong.

On the diet side, I think I'm 200lbs already, I've definitely gotten fatter, but that's what ramen does to you. Whatever. We'll see what goes on now. I'm definitely not done with beginner gains, but I'm not sure how to exploit them anymore.

Deadlift
340lbs x5 reps x2 sets
340lbs x2 reps +1 +1

Pendlay Rows
150lbs x5 reps
170lbs x6 reps x3 sets

45* Hyper
3 sets of a lot of reps

So interesting time deadlifting. My hook grip was giving out at first, but I was able to hold on the the bar. Come 3rd set, it slips from my fingers. I get pissed and try again. It slips. I try again, it slips. I try alternate grip, I get one rep before it slips again. I try again, it slips. I alternate to my other hand...it slips. I try again and this time go really fast and explosive so I can complete before it gives, which I do...I need chalk. My back was barely straight...and I might have tweaked something...

Incline
165lbs x5
165lbs x3
160lbs x5

Decline DB Bench
110lbs x15 reps x2 sets

Hammer Overhead DB Press
50lbs x12
60lbs x12
70lbs x12

Ab Wheel rollouts from knees
bodyweight x12 reps x2 sets

So I am intensely recovering my shoulder from the workout, it seems to have been tweaked. I think it is because I press more out than above, so I replace tri involvement with front delt, leading to shoulder injury. I have to remember to press everything back, which in reality is overhead. I think this is why some people advocate pressing with a "C" motion, because it keeps the bar in line with your elbows, and thus you don't end up with the bar stressing mostly your front delts and less tri's. Whatever, I think "C" is safer.

Also, I realize that straight sets if really hard. The 10lb increases I want to see a week are actually a lot easier with ramped up sets. In fact, 5lbs on 3x5 of straight sets is amazing! My max will be way higher than 335, maybe 365? Dunno...

This incline was a real grinder though...

Wednesday
Squats

315lbs x4
315lbs x3
315lbs x2
315lbs x1

had to put 315lbs, ended up out of breath, not hitting depth, GMing the weight up, and getting a funky feeling in my knee...I really wanted to beat myself up to make up for my injury, but 315 might have been too much. I've been doing ego lifting, but now I'm gonna lift seriously and safely. I want to lift weights in the long run, not for 5 months. I'm probably going to do 1 arm DB work for a week and a half, then diesel crews shoulder work + 1 arm DB work for another 1.5 weeks, then presses for a week or two, then go back to benching. I don't think I'm every going to train incline again, if I do, It'll just be to stretch my shoulder.

I also dragged 135lbs for X yards in 1.5min on 1.5 min off for 7 or 8 intervals on Thursday.

Back