XCOM 2 discussion ***Now on Consoles***

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by Bob Gray, Jun 1, 2015.

1. warriorscomeout

warriorscomeout Silver Belt

It's got a fine story but it's not Witcher 3. There's a strategic level timer tied into your missions. Plus the dlc adds some specific missions and characters. The Chosen aliens all have personality. Mostly though it's you building a story with characters in your roster - you get used to them and care for them. They upgrade, customize and die.

method115 likes this.
  2. warriorscomeout

Actually that would be fucking hard in real life. Rifles are heavy, large and unwieldy. That's why sniper rifles, rifles, carbines, sh machine guns, shotguns and pistols exist. A sniper rifle is good for say 200 yards and out. A pistol is good for one tile away.

Norman Khabib likes this.
  3. Strychnine

Strychnine Gold Belt

Yup, it IS brutal. You just have to gangplow the chosen though.

4. warriorscomeout

Rulers are worse IMO. Take an action every action you take is unacceptable for me.

5. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Gold Belt

And actually to caveat off that, in the game they do give you negative modifiers for being to close to your target with the sniper rifle

After uninstalling all my mods and only adding the essentials, I finally got WoTC up and running last night. So far it's been pretty awesome, the new classes are pretty sweet

6. Norman Khabib

Norman Khabib Jiu Jitsu is for noobs!!

lol sounds more like COD than reality though. Shooting a moving target with a rifle at point blank range isn't as easy as you think. Much more likely that the alien claws your throat out while you're waving the gun around.

7. hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87 Silver Belt

But I'm a special forces sniper, and the being is 10 times my size, and I don't see how I look down the sight and not hit it. also, it's not running at me, it's turn based.

8. Norman Khabib

turn based is a game mechanic, it's not meant to represent reality. If you look down your sight at point blank range they will just strike the rifle and obliterate your face. Rifle's are heavy and unwieldy as @warriorscomeout mentioned. If they are in striking range on your turn they are in striking range, period.

9. warriorscomeout

Try and bang away with this

[​IMG]

with a dude running at your face.

You don’t look down an optical sight in close combat. You can’t even get a clear scope in the seconds you need even if you’re a really good sniper. That’s why a platoon has one designated marksman with a low zoom scope, not even a ‘sniper’ in standard NATO practice.

If you got charged you would have tossed your rifle and pulled out a pistol. Not a sub machine gun, carbine or assault rifle because you are already carrying a huge load. Of course you can say that you can hip shoot but that would mean you’d hit that monster if the leg, arm or wherever if you’re firing a huge piece of metal like Chuck Norris.

Snipers generally work in pairs. One dude is the sniper with the big optical rifle. The other is the observer with a smaller and less accurate rifle, but capable of automatic fire and in emergency this rifle can take a sniper shot. This dude takes care of business if they fuck up and need to actually engage in combat.

10. Norman Khabib

we're on the same page, did you mean to quote the other person?

11. warriorscomeout

Nope, just supporting you.

12. Norman Khabib

the turn based issues of games like X-COM has had me thinking about a different turn based system (started a few months back while thinking about an Equilibrium turn based game) where you don't just watch the turns unfold but can actually make additional decisions part way through. I don't mean action elements as I really hate those in turn based games, the action would stop to see if you want to change what your unit is doing, if they came under fire while moving for example. You could choose to continue on the set route, or dive for cover, turn and fire if you have the required points still left etc. Even moments where your soldiers are on overwatch could lead to the action being stopped so you can decide whether to fire, use a different kind of round like an underslung grenade launcher, or just let them pass. These are tactical decisions you could be making in real life so why not ingame?

I know it has to have been done, but does anyone know of any games that tried it out?

13. Norman Khabib

[​IMG]

14. warriorscomeout

Laser Squad did this back in 8 bit days. Overwatch interrupted the turn and gave you an action which you could choose. Laser Squad was the game that led to X Com.

15. Norman Khabib

<WellThere>
    It came out on spectrum too, I'm almost sad I never played it back when I had one and was into those games. I've played the 2 xcom games from 94 and 95 extensively too, Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep but not played these amazing looking reboots (yet)

16. hillelslovak87

And when my sniper misses with two pistol shots in a row against an enemy one could not hope to miss?

17. Norman Khabib

git gud?

Quipling likes this.
  18. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

You could just as much complain that you can carry so many weapons and ammo in any FPS. Get hit by a car in GTA and not spend a month in a virtual hospital, and criticize the fact that an entire city can be built in 1 second by a single person in Civilization games.

19. hillelslovak87

Hit Chance: 100%

Misses...............

20. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

That isn't happening to you.