X-Guard Sweep Suggestions?

Adjaar

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Recently I am noticing that I am entering x guard from quite a but, but dont know any sweeps from there. I am managing to keep my opponents off balance pretty well, but cant do anything past that.

What are some high percentage sweeps you guys land that you would recommend me integrating?

X guard is a great sweeping position. The classic option is a technical stand up sweep. You basically push on his far leg and use the momentum to sit up and do a technical standup while still holding onto his close leg, basically coming up into a very strong sing leg.

Another good option is a sort of tripod style sweep where you tip him backwards. You keep the hook that is coming from behind his body and is on his hip where it is while dropping the other hook behind his far ankle - push with the top hook while kicking out slightly with the bottom and staying firm on his close leg on your shoulder. Getting a sleeve grip isn't required but is helpful.

Those are the two I probably hit the most, but you can also pass the leg over your head to take his back, and control a sleeve and do a back roll for a cool overhead sweep. Should be able to find videos of all this stuff on youtube if you poke around for a minute.

those are my two favourites too! look for marcelo garcia teaching his x guard on youtube :)

Easiest one is to just hold the leg and do a technical stand up.

Me and a couple of guys at my gym have been doing a lot of xguard in the past couple of months, so everyone is getting better at defending it, they see it coming and they work hard to go as fast as possible towards my head, it makes it tougher to do the 2 basic sweeps.

But they are all open for a good shin sweep. When I see that my outside foot (the one in the groin) is passed or that I won't be able to do the sweep, I renter my knee to have both shin in his thigh. I move my body to be more centered but I still grab the ankle that I had on my shoulder during the x guard. Then I just grab the other ankle and I do a bridge.

It works very well for when they beat the hooks

I got marcelo's x guard book that has like 50 variations on x guard sweeps and I think I basically tried all of them, but after a while I found the technical stand up works the best and is the easiest.

I got marcelo's x guard book that has like 50 variations on x guard sweeps and I think I basically tried all of them, but after a while I found the technical stand up works the best and is the easiest.

anybody else do the back take from the tech standup when your opponent tripods to defend? you bring your outside hand across his lower back and then enter the truck. i know there used to be a video where rafa mendes demonstrates this, but i can't find it.

I always go for the tripod/tilt em backwards first, then the stand up. Work smarter not harder.

anybody else do the back take from the tech standup when your opponent tripods to defend? you bring your outside hand across his lower back and then enter the truck. i know there used to be a video where rafa mendes demonstrates this, but i can't find it.
I don't let them tripod. Grip the far sleeve so they roll over that shoulder then go straight to knee on belly. that seams to be pretty solid to me.

More important than what sweep to use when you enter x guard is simple off balancing back and forth. Never let the man in top settle and he will basically give you a sweep eventually. Usually one of the 2 mentioned. I like a pretty cool variation that leads to roll over the shoulder to leg drag position but the technical stand up is the most likely finish for me.

I don't let them tripod. Grip the far sleeve so they roll over that shoulder then go straight to knee on belly. that seams to be pretty solid to me.

Having control of the far sleeve in x-guard is the dream, but it isn't always realistic. If you do have it, then there are many good options aside from the technical standup

grab their far sleeve/wrist and then extend your legs to sweep them and come into knee-ride position

my favorite is marcelo's method shown here pretty straightforward and simple:

I actually used this today and IT WORKED (notable because I'm terrible with x-guard usually)

Technical standup/single is the default. I'd work that, there's plenty of variations depending on grips and responses.

Aside from that the noob sweep is essential if the posture goes to high and you can take them back or the overhead if the guy drives hard into you.

my favorite is marcelo's method shown here pretty straightforward and simple:

I actually used this today and IT WORKED (notable because I'm terrible with x-guard usually)

A very important thing to consider with x-guard long term is that you need to get really good at winning the transition battle right after the sweep when both of you want to get on top. Notice the part where Marcelo grabs the second leg, comes up quick, and immediately passes to the outside; those are the types of situations that are just as vital as the sweep itself. As a general principle, always stay under your opponent and seek to enforce some measure of control on both of his legs, whether it's with ankle grips or by keeping a butterfly hook.

LOL, so last night in a hard rolling sesh, I wetn butterfly to X guard, and right as I I my arm under my opponet's leg for the underhook, he also stepped forward, so I basically ended up kciking myself in the head with his leg. Doesn't pass the Helio filter.

Back