WWE made out of Ronda Rousey the female Rowdy Roddy Piper.

I would have been a 20 something AE fan too. The casuals that were watching the first few WM's, came back for the AE, plus teens that would have been babies/toddlers during the first WM's had a reason to tune in.

I can't say I blame the teens/kids that don't want to watch it today. Things like Youtube and a more personalized entertainment experience is available now than 20 years ago. A lot of it may be tied to the downfall of television more than anything. There are way more digital options now that didn't exist once the Internet really took off in the early 2000's. Think about how viewing things have changed since streaming and Youtube.

There is no reason to watch WWE now. I don't buy into any of the characters. The format is stale. I try to watch an episode of RAW and I tap out after 20 minutes or so. The only thing that keeps my interest in PW around is watching videos of old territories and matches. It is cool to watch some of the matches that I had heard about through magazines back in the day. All of the older stuff puts anything the WWE has done post 1988 to shame due to a gritter feel and less cartoonish.

Vince is senile now. You can see it in his face. There is no coming back from the state wrestling/WWE is, until he passes on. No idea what will happen if he sells the company to Murdoch or someone else. How much worse can it get? Pro wrestling may have to die before it can be reinvented, unless you count MMA as PW...

Pretty spot on
Except pro-wrestling is bigger now then it has been since WCW sold.
NJPW, ROH are doing record business
Indy's are up big-time
Its just WWE that has stalled
Pro wrestling is bigger than it has been in 17 years.
Sports Entertainment isn't ;)

A good sign for the future is NXT & HHH. That is a great hybrid of both

I would have been a 20 something AE fan too. The casuals that were watching the first few WM's, came back for the AE, plus teens that would have been babies/toddlers during the first WM's had a reason to tune in.

I can't say I blame the teens/kids that don't want to watch it today. Things like Youtube and a more personalized entertainment experience is available now than 20 years ago. A lot of it may be tied to the downfall of television more than anything. There are way more digital options now that didn't exist once the Internet really took off in the early 2000's. Think about how viewing things have changed since streaming and Youtube.

There is no reason to watch WWE now. I don't buy into any of the characters. The format is stale. I try to watch an episode of RAW and I tap out after 20 minutes or so. The only thing that keeps my interest in PW around is watching videos of old territories and matches. It is cool to watch some of the matches that I had heard about through magazines back in the day. All of the older stuff puts anything the WWE has done post 1988 to shame due to a gritter feel and less cartoonish.

Vince is senile now. You can see it in his face. There is no coming back from the state wrestling/WWE is, until he passes on. No idea what will happen if he sells the company to Murdoch or someone else. How much worse can it get? Pro wrestling may have to die before it can be reinvented, unless you count MMA as PW...

It will be hard for anyone to equal what a prime Vince McMahon did. I was always an NWA/WCW fan, so I have no love for Vince, but the man was a genius.

The biggest problem with wrestling is when non-wrestlers got involved in the business. You have TV execs who don't know shit about the industry making all the decisions now. And it shows. The product is so bland now, nearly every wrestler is from a fucking cookie cutter.

WWE can't create stars anymore. They have to import their stars now, like Styles, Asuka, and Nakamura.

The best thing for the industry would be a strong #2 org like WCW to come onto the scene and force WWE to push their boundaries.

But it's a false claim. Japan just had a huge event with Chris Jericho earlier this month.

*shrug* Some people watch it for nostalgia reasons, others keep up with it. 80's wrestling was still the shit.

giphy.gif

oh mach

It will be hard for anyone to equal what a prime Vince McMahon did. I was always an NWA/WCW fan, so I have no love for Vince, but the man was a genius.

The biggest problem with wrestling is when non-wrestlers got involved in the business. You have TV execs who don't know shit about the industry making all the decisions now. And it shows. The product is so bland now, nearly every wrestler is from a fucking cookie cutter.

WWE can't create stars anymore. They have to import their stars now, like Styles, Asuka, and Nakamura.

The best thing for the industry would be a strong #2 org like WCW to come onto the scene and force WWE to push their boundaries.

I don't buy into Vince being a genius. He was the first mass-marketer of pro wrestling/sports entertainment going against promoters who were tied into agreements not to compete against one another. He did not do it on his own . He had partners. Vince cried when someone who had more money (Turner) had him on the ropes. Funny when Vince financially crippled other promoters that was fine. When Turner sold his company and the new owners decided they didn't want wrestling in their portfolio Vince "won."

All his ventures outside of PW have been failures or break-even at the best. XFL. Minor league hockey. WBF. Eveil Knevil jump. Inoki/Ali USA promotion. Those horrid movies. Based on history, Vince is going to get his ass kicked again, in brutal fashion, with the relaunch of the XFL. His stated USP (unique selling proposition for non-marketing students), doesn't make any sense. Now if McMahon were to raid the NCAA players or high school grads to get his hands on talent first, that's a different story. Vince has not publicly stated anything other than highly questionable reasons that fans would want to give the XFL another chance (no criminals; standing for the national anthem, two hour games, etc.) There better be something more than that up his sleeve.

I agree with the non-wrestling people being involved, but that is Vince's doing. By wiping out the territories 30 years ago, he effectively limited the amount of wrestling people to draw from today. It's a shame that there weren't any wrestlers that had a mix of appeal, connections and business savvy weren't able to start a promotion of note.

And as far as the wrestlers that find their way into the industry now, they are a different breed of men. That may very well speak to the culture as a whole, but so many of the wrestlers in the WWE or outside the WWE would not have had a chance to even break into the business with what they bring to the table.

I don't buy into Vince being a genius. He was the first mass-marketer of pro wrestling/sports entertainment going against promoters who were tied into agreements not to compete against one another. He did not do it on his own . He had partners. Vince cried when someone who had more money (Turner) had him on the ropes. Funny when Vince financially crippled other promoters that was fine. When Turner sold his company and the new owners decided they didn't want wrestling in their portfolio Vince "won."

All his ventures outside of PW have been failures or break-even at the best. XFL. Minor league hockey. WBF. Eveil Knevil jump. Inoki/Ali USA promotion. Those horrid movies. Based on history, Vince is going to get his ass kicked again, in brutal fashion, with the relaunch of the XFL. His stated USP (unique selling proposition for non-marketing students), doesn't make any sense. Now if McMahon were to raid the NCAA players or high school grads to get his hands on talent first, that's a different story. Vince has not publicly stated anything other than highly questionable reasons that fans would want to give the XFL another chance (no criminals; standing for the national anthem, two hour games, etc.) There better be something more than that up his sleeve.

I agree with the non-wrestling people being involved, but that is Vince's doing. By wiping out the territories 30 years ago, he effectively limited the amount of wrestling people to draw from today. It's a shame that there weren't any wrestlers that had a mix of appeal, connections and business savvy weren't able to start a promotion of note.

And as far as the wrestlers that find their way into the industry now, they are a different breed of men. That may very well speak to the culture as a whole, but so many of the wrestlers in the WWE or outside the WWE would not have had a chance to even break into the business with what they bring to the table.

I don't like Vince, so I personally couldn't care less if you do or not, or if you think he is a genius or not. I don't know many in the industry who don't have a grudging respect for Vince, but hey, if you think it was all luck, it's all good with me.

Vince gobbling up the competition clearly hurt the industry as whole in North America. No argument there.

Back