wtf is going on with this crazy GOAT talk

IVovchanchyn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Holy shit its like anytime someone with a belt wins we have to evaluate their GOAT status in numerous threads. Is this generation so needy it needs to proclaim someone GOAT from their era asap?

Jones drug cheat
tyron woodley? he has 3 horrendous fights as champion two of which you could argue he lost. (draw majority dec)

why does everyone feel the need to shit on former legends and make flash in the pan fighters all time greats.

these threads are getting out of control. seriously why isnt that stupid tyron over gsp goat thread in the wasteland yet? im sure this one will get there pretty quick.

Your thread is GOAT. No, seriously. Guys with 12-16 wins are being considered GOAT by some. I can't figure it out either.

was thinking the same shit...everytime I log in I see 2 or 3 GOAT threads all talking about different fighters. These new MMA fans are needy...

Jon Jones is goat
GranularTallKouprey-max-1mb.gif

Holy shit its like anytime someone with a belt wins we have to evaluate their GOAT status in numerous threads. Is this generation so needy it needs to proclaim someone GOAT from their era asap?

Jones drug cheat
tyron woodley? he has 3 horrendous fights as champion two of which you could argue he lost. (draw majority dec)

why does everyone feel the need to shit on former legends and make flash in the pan fighters all time greats.

these threads are getting out of control. seriously why isnt that stupid tyron over gsp goat thread in the wasteland yet? im sure this one will get there pretty quick.

Why do you care? Do you really value strangers opinions that much? You might want to look and see why it bothers you so much.

I agree. For some reason Fedor is out of the discussion because he fought in a ”PED-era” and Stipe is in the talks as HW Goat because he beat the UFC record of 2 title-defenses.

Aldo was unbeaten in FW for 10 years and finally declines and now some people consider both Hollaway and Conor ahead of him. Crazy...

i only have an opinion, after wondering this for years on these boards.

i've concluded it's because people don't come to forums to discuss stuff in the middle 90% of the bell curve. they're bored by very good 14-4 fighters who are ranked #9. they want, need, demand extremism in everything.

hence a guy goes on a run and folks don't want to wonder if he's only about as good as, say, Matt Brown (a strong journeyman who only got better year in and year out but barely spent time in the top 5, and deserves only huge kudos for his career), but instead needs to be compared to BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, etc.

and it's too bad, because most of they UFC deserves credit for being pretty damn good fighters.

because if it's not extreme, it's boring.

TLDR: there is no subtlety - because most don't want subtlety - on the interwebs. because it's boring to them.

Last edited:
Maybe to add to it, most can't talk about the nuances on those lower levels. I know I can't talk about the skill sets of guys below the top 20. I really like your line of logic here. Really makes sense.

mah. GOAT discussions will always be here. Its like this with every sports.

The GOAT talk for basketball was at a all time high with the recent NBA Finals.

Fedor is going to fight Chael soon. This fight honestly has no implications in GOAT discussions, but alas, we will find a way to increase or decrease Fedor's GOAT candidacy based on the results.

Why do you care? Do you really value strangers opinions that much? You might want to look and see why it bothers you so much.

maybe you should heed your own advice and wonder why you made this shitty post in my thread, you whiney (darren till expletive)
lol

Last edited:
I agree. For some reason Fedor is out of the discussion because he fought in a ”PED-era” and Stipe is in the talks as HW Goat because he beat the UFC record of 2 title-defenses.

Aldo was unbeaten in FW for 10 years and finally declines and now some people consider both Hollaway and Conor ahead of him. Crazy...

totally nuts i agree.

it seems to have turned into what have you done for me lately as opposed to what have you done over your career.

for me its fedor, gsp, and aldo. silva and jones included if u count them even with the drug suspensions.

and none of them are close to being pushed out of that group.

Back