wtf happened to ben Henderson?

I've never particularly rated Benson. I've always viewed him as a fantastic athlete and strategist rather than a 'fighter' if you get my drift. Not a natural fighter, but a tough and durable guy who uses the points system and his natural athleticism and cardio to squeak out decisions.

Demetrious Johnson is about 6 months younger than Benson was when he signed for Bellator, and promptly got beat by Koreshkov and looking steadily worse since. Do you think DJ is also going to look old and slow by March? Or is it just that Bendo isn't all that great and hasn't evolved like his competitors?
I don't know if this is a serious question or not but I already answered that in the very post you quoted. Bendo was obviously a great fighter, and I don't think the game has changed so dramatically like some want to believe in the last 3 years that he suddenly looks like a scrub. No in fact I think what is really going on here is that fans would rather prescribe some banal cliche like "the game passed him by" without really thinking about it. It isn't 2001 anymore, the "game" isn't shifting nearly that dramatically

The dude is known to get BS decisions in the ufc.

He should 3 or 4 more losses.

Has he lost some size in his legs since that acl injury? I only caught the very beginning of the fight, but thought his legs looked smaller than they used to when he was in the UFC at least. I don't watch Bellator that often(usually because I don't realize it's on).

It's weird to see Bendo react to decisions that don't swing his way like he was tremendously wronged after he got away with a number of questionable decisions at the end of his UFC run.

He was a multi-time champion but he was basically a can. The dude didn't even win every fight of his career even when he was in his prime. Heck, even some of his wins over elite competion were very close fights so they are essentially losses that mean he sucks.

He was never very good. Pettis made quick work of him at his peak.
He was very good, and Pettis won a 5 round war, it wasn't quick or easy.

I was not a huge fan of Benson really, but he was pretty fucking good in his day. He clowned a lot of big name fighters.

Actually, mathematically, past events should be independent of future events in this case.

For example, suppose you flipped a coin 5 times and got five heads. The probability of your getting a heads on the next flip is still 50%.

Yes but your chances of getting the desired combination diminishes after each flip.

After 1 toss it's 1/2

After 2 it's 1/4

After 5 it's 1/32

So getting 5 split decision wins has 1/32 chances of happening or 3%

Actually, mathematically, past events should be independent of future events in this case.

For example, suppose you flipped a coin 5 times and got five heads. The probability of your getting a heads on the next flip is still 50%.

This is true for any single flip isolated from within a set, but when taking the set as a whole, the odds of each subsequent flip change depending on the previous flips. For example, suppose you flip a coin 5 times, the first flip is heads, so the second flip now has a 75% greater chance of coming up tails; if the second flip comes up heads again, the third flip now has an 87.5% chance of coming up tails, the odds are increased by a half each time, and this could theoretically go on forever. If you were to flip a coin 100 times and the first 99 came up heads the chances of the next one being heads would be astronomically small, as would the chances that the first 99 would come up heads in the first place (in fact it's been estimated that nobody who has ever been alive on this planet has ever seen 75 flips of the same face in a row, let alone 99). Yes, it's still 50/50 each time you flip, which is why we started with 50% on the first flip, and why we add half of the chance percentage of the previous flip onto the next one.

His striking is too robotic and doesn't flow well enough. He always throws the same strikes and combos and he doesnt have KO power. The game has passed him by a bit. And he's fighting the best of the best in Bellator.

Best thing he used to do was push the pace and force opponents into uncomfortable positions. He’s not able to do that anymore for whatever reason. Probably his striking is not up to par with the competition.

This is true for any single flip isolated from within a set, but when taking the set as a whole, the odds of each subsequent flip change depending on the previous flips. For example, suppose you flip a coin 5 times, the first flip is heads, so the second flip now has a 75% greater chance of coming up tails; if the second flip comes up heads again, the third flip now has an 87.5% chance of coming up tails, the odds are increased by a half each time, and this could theoretically go on forever. If you were to flip a coin 100 times and the first 99 came up heads the chances of the next one being heads would be astronomically small, as would the chances that the first 99 would come up heads in the first place (in fact it's been estimated that nobody who has ever been alive on this planet has ever seen 75 flips of the same face in a row, let alone 99). Yes, it's still 50/50 each time you flip, which is why we started with 50% on the first flip, and why we add half of the chance percentage of the previous flip onto the next one.

This is actually patently false. If you are really interested in delving deeper into this, here's a link:

https://perplex.city/memorylessness-at-the-bus-stop-f2c97c59e420

And he was fighting a journeyman manlet the same age. Benson had all the physical advantages, quit with that shit.

It gets beyond nauseating all of you dorks complaining about your favorite 30 year old fighter being out of his prime as an excuse for his downfall, especially when they are fighting guys the same age or older that actually have learned to adapt.

The reality is your guys were never that good. Deal with it.
Ok, chill. Just because someone's being a douche doesn't mean you go full retard.

Benson was always a guy who won fights with his athleticism. He was never a real good striker or wrestler for that matter. He beat guys with pressure and mad scrambles. He lost a step and now he's ordinary.

He's past his peak.
Yeah that's it a hundred percent and before that it's not like he was gift-wrapped decisions.
Gilbert Melendez Frankie Edgar twice Josh Thompson.
If anybody thinks he beat Josh Thompson they should jump off a bridge.

Ok, chill. Just because someone's being a douche doesn't mean you go full retard.

Benson was always a guy who won fights with his athleticism. He was never a real good striker or wrestler for that matter. He beat guys with pressure and mad scrambles. He lost a step and now he's ordinary.

Another idiot that doesn't understand MMA. Benson was skilled all around. Guy beat people in every way.

The guy hasn't progressed at all. The athleticism is a BS excuse. It's a matter of IQ, and if you knew what you were talking about you'd know he wasn't setting shit up properly and was way overly predictable as always.

The game has left Henderson. Fact. Period. End of story.

Yeah that's it a hundred percent and before that it's not like he was gift-wrapped decisions.
Gilbert Melendez Frankie Edgar twice Josh Thompson.
If anybody thinks he beat Josh Thompson they should jump off a bridge.

That's a bit too excessive, but I partly agree.

he went from winning at WW in ufc to losing in bellator 155. didn't see it coming.

Not really.

His big claim to fame was beating Brandon Thatch, but we can say with confidence now that Brandon is such an incomplete fighter he is only fringe UFC caliber. Brandon has a 2-4 UFC record. All four sequential losses were via submission.

He then went to a controversial split decision with Masvidal, who also moved up from lightweight.

Ben was a great fighter in his prime, but those days are gone, and he wasn't ever a high level competitor at welterweight.

Back