Wtf Fedor and Rampage in the same tourney but not fighting each other in 1st rd?!

Yea but the probability of both of them winning in the first round and being uninjured and able to fight in the second round is low. I’d rather just see the fight now
It's not that low really. Very possible.

I hear what you're saying but they can always make the fight after.

WTF!! They can put together Fedor vs Rampage now but they decide to go with Page vs Sonnen and Fedor vs Mir?! Makes no sense at all!! As a pride fan from back in the day I have wanted to watch Fedor vs Rampage for years now. Why couldn’t they just set that up as the first round fight? They could’ve just made Sonnen vs mir. This is bs. Absolute ridiculous. We were so close to getting Fedor vs Page. Damnit Damnit!
Because Mir would dwarf Sonnen so badly it would be the freak fight of the cenury.

Fedor and Mir are HWs. Sonnen and Page are LHWs. The rest is matched up similarly by size.

Fedor vs Meathead we have seen already.

King Mo would kill today's Fedor so we don't want that. Sorry.

Fedor vs Nelson would be two gassed fatties - nobody want's to see that.

Fedor vs Mir makes the most sense and at least Mir is a very legit opponent - no shame in losing to him.

These things never go as planned. That's why I'd always set up the ideal finale in the first round.

Final will probably be some bullshit like Mir Vs Sonnen, with one of them having to pull out and being replaced by an alternate.

they should have did a 30 min Spike TV show and picked out of hat like they do for World Cup or the NBA draft style

Because Mir would dwarf Sonnen so badly it would be the freak fight of the cenury.

Fedor and Mir are HWs. Sonnen and Page are LHWs. The rest is matched up similarly by size.

Fedor vs Meathead we have seen already.

King Mo would kill today's Fedor so we don't want that. Sorry.

Fedor vs Nelson would be two gassed fatties - nobody want's to see that.

Fedor vs Mir makes the most sense and at least Mir is a very legit opponent - no shame in losing to him.

But mir and Sonnen are in the same tourney. All parties have accepted that they will have to fight each other if they advance to the next round. Because of that I don’t understand your argument. Freak fight or not they are in the same tourney

It's not that low really. Very possible.

I hear what you're saying but they can always make the fight after.

I mean it’s been what 20 yrs and Fedor vs Rampage hasn’t happened. Now they are in the same tourney, have accepted that they might have to fight each other so they should have just made the fight now. Anything can happen between now and the future in mma. If they can make the fight now they should do it imo

It doesn't do anything for me, especially now.

Rampage is only fighting in this tournament because he is no longer dedicated enough to get down to 205. Fedor is fighting because he has "yes men" surrounding him that won't tell him he is finished and/or needs money.

This entire tournament is sad. All of the heavyweights are out of their respective primes. The light heavyweights that aren't cutting weight are out of their primes too. Everyone but Bader. The fans that argue "but it's a tournament" think that will automatically make things exciting. I don't share that viewpoint.

You guys remember the sf hw tourney? It was clearly set up so Fedor would meet Overeem in the second round. However unexpectedly Fedor lost to Bigfoot and Overeem didn’t continue in the tourney.

My point being there are too many variables in mma. If SF wanted Fedor vs Overeem they should have just booked it in the first round

You guys remember the sf hw tourney? It was clearly set up so Fedor would meet Overeem in the second round. However unexpectedly Fedor lost to Bigfoot and Overeem didn’t continue in the tourney.

My point being there are too many variables in mma. If SF wanted Fedor vs Overeem they should have just booked it in the first round

Dana White removed Overeem, which may have saved him a beating from Antonio Silva. Overeem being removed helped to put Cormier on the map as he was he first one in awhile to wreck Big Foot.

If SF wanted Fedor/Overeem and booked it, then there would be been people saying "awww, they should have saved that for the finals." You can't win. It's a tournament. If fighters are meant to fight each other they will. And traditionally you don't put the best fighters against each other in the first round. Someone like Kharitonov could have just as easily beat the piss out of Overeem again too.

But mir and Sonnen are in the same tourney. All parties have accepted that they will have to fight each other if they advance to the next round. Because of that I don’t understand your argument. Freak fight or not they are in the same tourney
Can't argue with Mr. Plow. You da man, Homer.

I may be in the minority but I find the idea of Mir vs. Fedor far more intriguing.

Dana White removed Overeem, which may have saved him a beating from Antonio Silva. Overeem being removed helped to put Cormier on the map as he was he first one in awhile to wreck Big Foot.

If SF wanted Fedor/Overeem and booked it, then there would be been people saying "awww, they should have saved that for the finals." You can't win. It's a tournament. If fighters are meant to fight each other they will. And traditionally you don't put the best fighters against each other in the first round. Someone like Kharitonov could have just as easily beat the piss out of Overeem again too.

1) Ubereem would have destroyed Bigfoot

2) you are right that people would have complained if they made Overeem/Fedor in the first round that they didn’t save that fight for later rounds. But at least we would’ve gotten to see that fight instead of not getting to see it which is what happened.

3) you are right about Cormier getting put on the map as a result. That was great! His performance in that tourney is one of my favorite mma memories

I may be in the minority but I find the idea of Mir vs. Fedor far more intriguing.

If they were both in their prime i would find the fight more intriguing. But I would still rather see prime Fedor vs prime rampage more

WTF!! They can put together Fedor vs Rampage now but they decide to go with Page vs Sonnen and Fedor vs Mir?! Makes no sense at all!! As a pride fan from back in the day I have wanted to watch Fedor vs Rampage for years now. Why couldn’t they just set that up as the first round fight? They could’ve just made Sonnen vs mir. This is bs. Absolute ridiculous. We were so close to getting Fedor vs Page. Damnit Damnit!
First of all, they appear to be making first rd matchups that pair the actual hws together, and the lhws, whixh makes sense. If every fight was hw v lhw in the first rd, a lot of the lhws would potentially get bumped right away just due to size, which would be deemed unfair.

Secondly, how or why would you rather see rampage v fedor over mir v fedor?

Mir v fedor is one of the fights pride v ufc fans have wantes to see for years. Ufc champ v pride champ, etc.

Seems obvious that mir is the most ineresting matchup for fedor, and the one fans would love to see, as fedor never went to ufc, so we missed out on great hw matchups like fedor v randy, brock, mir, velasquez, etc.

I'm baffled that you'd prefer to see him v rampage, though that would be a fun fight back in the day.

Low probability of that occurring it’s very realistic that one or both of them will lose in the first round or be injured and unable to fight in the second round. I’m guessing there’s less than a 40% chance of this fight happening in the second round.

They should have just made the fight now. It’s literally the best matchup they can make in this tourny
Mir v fedor is worlds bettter. Stylistically, fan wise, size wise, and career definition wise, it's all around the better, and obviously better, fight. IMO

Fedor vs Mir is the wayyyyyy better matchup in my opinion. Both are in similar positions in their career so fedor nuthuggers can't use the "hurrdurr prime" excuse if Mir wins when Mir is just as shot if not more so.

Fedor vs Mir is the wayyyyyy better matchup in my opinion. Both are in similar positions in their career so fedor nuthuggers can't use the "hurrdurr prime" excuse if Mir wins when Mir is just as shot if not more so.

Yeah these guys are crazy Fedor and Mir is a dream Pride/UFC mashup even if it's late.

First of all, they appear to be making first rd matchups that pair the actual hws together, and the lhws, whixh makes sense. If every fight was hw v lhw in the first rd, a lot of the lhws would potentially get bumped right away just due to size, which would be deemed unfair.

Secondly, how or why would you rather see rampage v fedor over mir v fedor?

Mir v fedor is one of the fights pride v ufc fans have wantes to see for years. Ufc champ v pride champ, etc.

Seems obvious that mir is the most ineresting matchup for fedor, and the one fans would love to see, as fedor never went to ufc, so we missed out on great hw matchups like fedor v randy, brock, mir, velasquez, etc.

I'm baffled that you'd prefer to see him v rampage, though that would be a fun fight back in the day.

Your argument makes sense. Thanks. Judging from the comments on this thread I guess Fedor vs Mir does draw interest. That’s cool I accept that. But I’d rather see Fedor vs rampage cause imo it’s a fun matchup and it’s also a throwback to pride days and a fight I have wanted for a long time. I also got upset when bellator booked Fedor vs mitrione and not vs rampage and I was upset when Rizin booked Fedor vs that Singh guy and did not try to get rampage from bellator for that fight.

As worn out as Fedor is now, he’s still fun to watch fight. The same can be said about rampage. But I do not feel the same way about Mir. Who gets excited about a mir fight these days? Like I said Fedor vs mir would have been more interesting for me if they were in their prime

But it’s the same with rampage - he’s not in his prime any longer either. But Fedor and page are still fun to watch fight whereas who gets excited for a frank mir fight these days?

Fedor / Mir is just as good. Plus I want to see of Rampage is going to take this tournament more seriously than he did his last fight.

Back