WSOF To Crown New BW Champ, Moraes Leaving, Branch Has Big Announcement

wsof is not going to become another Bellator, they dont have the budget for 20 events a year and such a deep roster or that Rory money.
I like wsof is more serious with matchmaking than Bellator. Bellator is just not interested on top grapplers in their welterweight division for example. Good to have wsof around since there isnt a better showcase in North America
I don't know about "deep" roster.... Featherweight is considered one of their best divisions and they had James fucking Gallagher on their contender list during the Ortiz show. Manhoef is also #1 contender at MW. 40 year old Chieck Kongo is their best HW right now. Phil Davis, who had a pretty unremarkable UFC career now has the LHW strap. BW has had the same three guys fighting for the title for years. I could go on, I have plenty more examples. The roster has names, yes, but the quantity of good fighters is about the same as WSOF.

Once the new investors start pouring money in, they'll start overpaying for ex-UFC guys, just like Bellator does. I'm not going to go through the trouble of visiting sketchy stream sites just to see Mike Chiesa as WSOF champ. Personally, I'd rather see them sell to the UFC.

I'm fine with letting them all leave. You can only get so many viewers with straight mma so why continue fighting that losing war. Even the ufc with their marketing machine, money, mma media control, and top fighters skill wise knows you need the storylines and characters to make the real $ and that mma on its own isn't a big seller.

Bring in a cornette or heyman, let the expensive guys go, and with that $ bring in a whole bunch of guys who can talk and play a gimmick while also being able to brawl it up in an entertaining way.
But we already have Bellator...

Feel like I've been saying WSOF will go under every year of their existence but this time it feels closer to reality. Their shows never really got me excited. Can't remember the last time I watched then live besides Shields/Palhares. They developed a few nice fighters so props to them.

wsof sucks, at least bellator has comedic value sometimes, wsof is just so stale and dark, imo. it looks like their events take part in a high school gym or something.

I don't know about "deep" roster.... Featherweight is considered one of their best divisions and they had James fucking Gallagher on their contender list during the Ortiz show. Manhoef is also #1 contender at MW. 40 year old Chieck Kongo is their best HW right now. Phil Davis, who had a pretty unremarkable UFC career now has the LHW strap. BW has had the same three guys fighting for the title for years. I could go on, I have plenty more examples. The roster has names, yes, but the quantity of good fighters is about the same as WSOF.

Bellator has a deep roster, with a number of legit guys and at least one or two top ten material in most divisions. They also put a lot of events and fights. Thats a deep roster compared to any other org out of ufc obviously.
WSOF is #3 a bit behind them imo, has fewer contenders and some shallow divisions

Once the new investors start pouring money in, they'll start overpaying for ex-UFC guys, just like Bellator does. I'm not going to go through the trouble of visiting sketchy stream sites just to see Mike Chiesa as WSOF champ. Personally, I'd rather see them sell to the UFC.

UFC is so much above the rest in terms of budget, its how it is. Rest of orgs hardly can prevent a real top talent from leaving eventually, let alone three or four in the same division. Nowadays you need to be pretty much a hardcore fan to be interested in any of these orgs. Otherwise ufc has more than enough for you.

I care about watching Shields, Okami or Fitch regardless if ufc cut them. As many other solid vets that aren't worth it for ufc anymore. Bellator tries to attract casual fans and won't invest on a high prized fighter with rather unfriendly style, they could not afford everyone anyways.
If you arent going through sketchy streams for a promotion as wsof, you wont do it for Legacy, Pancrase or M1; maybe you dont even find them

WSOF losing their biggest stars is a big hit, but they were pretty much build there I enjoyed Branch, Moraes and Gaethje run in wsof. Let's see if they can replace them, I like some top prospects that are growing in wsof.
They usually stack their cards and have more serious match making than in Bellator. There are not many people willing to invest money in mma, out of ufc, so I cant get you just dont care much about mma out of ufc, otherwise wsof is a good thing. I dont know how they make profit though

the reality is that WSOF cannot afford guys like Moraes, Branch or Gaethje anymore

hope they go to UFC not Bellator, history has shown us that most fighters with potential go to UFC, those who have fizzled then go to Bellator

maybe wsof should consider merging with Titan in an LFA style thing

I say this every year and I'll say it again. WSOF won't be around at the end of this year.

I say this every year and I'll say it again. WSOF won't be around at the end of this year.
Just don't embarrass yourself by celebrating like you're Nostradamus if you happen to be right this year and WSOF folds in 2017. If you happen to be right finally it doesn't erase all your wrong predicitions in all the previous years.

Annnnnd Ali pulled Branch from his interview with Helwani.

Feel like I've been saying WSOF will go under every year of their existence but this time it feels closer to reality. Their shows never really got me excited. Can't remember the last time I watched then live besides Shields/Palhares. They developed a few nice fighters so props to them.

LW GP was one of the best memories I have from WSOF, it was really good

Back