Wrestling Vs. Judo for MMA

Discussion in 'Ask The Fighters' started by Robmasterflex, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Robmasterflex White Belt

Robmasterflex
    Basically I have a time slot open to learn either wrestling or judo in my community. Wrestling I have the option of training 4 times per week and judo twice, however I'd only be doing either of them twice a week because the rest of the days are going toward my boxing and muay thai.

I've checked countless forums and videos and have been doing research for over a month as to which would actually be more beneficial to an aspiring mma trainee and I have noticed pros and cons for both sports and have a really hard time making a decision.

I'm 24 years old, useless as the male nipple and have no experience doing anything so this is all new to me.

One thing I do know is that a grappling art is needed in order to succeed.

I would like to hear some pros and cons from your perspectives based on whatever biases you may have or life experience or whatever.

2. daaak Green Belt

daaak
    I'd say wrestling for mma over Judo. Main thing being that judo focuses mainly on techniques using a gi. But if self-defense is also important to you then I don't think there is any better martial art than judo.

3. Bringin'TheHeat Green Belt

Bringin'TheHeat
    Wrestling without a doubt...it flows very nicely into no gi grappling. For mma you need to get used to the techniques, slippery-ness, top control, and over/under hooks...plus it's better cardio.

4. Nuclear Yellow Belt

Nuclear
    go with wrestling for the top control. i think wrestling takedowns are more functional also. i like muay thai over all other standup and have trained it for years. i also trained bjj for a few years and think that i would take that over wrestling if you can. if not wrestling is great but people who dont grapple for submission are easy prey for someone who does.

5. Blazen Blue Belt

Blazen
    besides techniques involving the Gi (which wouldn't apply for you anyways) wrestling involves everything judo has to offer. However, judo is like very restricted wrestling.
    So... like people said, wrestling all the way - assuming both instructors are fairly knowledgeable in their craft

6. Te Huna Matata Black Belt

Te Huna Matata
    I wrestled for half my life. Wrestle

7. Righteous Jon Orange Belt

Righteous Jon
    My nipples aren't useless and feel good sometimes. Pick wrestling.

8. tdluxon Brown Belt

tdluxon
    Wrestling is a good choice. There is a reason there are so many wrestlers in MMA. That said, if that falls through Judo is cool to, just not quite as applicable to MMA.

Also, wrestling will get you in REALLY good shape... It's unbelievably tiring, when you first start you won't be able to believe you can get so tired so fast.

9. Merman Purple Belt

Merman
    If you go with wrestling you will have to learn some Judo and BJJ...However, you can go with just Judo and be fine.

Wrestling really only works for the timed/judged fights.

10. Reyesnuthugr belt

Reyesnuthugr
    Try em both, stick with the one you feel fits you better. Then, after you're solid in that one, move to or add in some stuff from the other. These 2 arts go VERY well together

11. Goatjc160 White Belt

Goatjc160
    When I wrestled in HS I cross-trained in Judo. Like others said the Gi is the difference maker really and it only amplified my throws to counter takedowns and added a new facet to my leg riding. Thing is, the short legs technique that I took from judo would leave you highly susceptible to reversals into guard or leg locks.

As many other posters did, go with wrestling. You will have to be careful of subs but learning a good shot, takedown (they ARE different shots are how you get in on a persons legs and takedowns are how you finish) and top control (leg riding and tight waist) will instantly make you more capable of winning when you run into someone who is outstriking you.

-Goat

12. TheGauntlet7** Banned

TheGauntlet7**
    I'm going with the unanimous opinion here on wrestling for these reasons:

1.You can do it more often
    2.Most wrestling workouts are tougher than most judo workouts
    3.Wrestling is more diverse than judo
    4.Some moves in wrestling and judo overlap, such as the hip toss.

I wrestled in high school and rolled in judo with a man trained in judo. Dominated him easily. I think you will learn more about ground control too in wrestling. There are more moves that exist in wrestling that are also in judo than the other way around. Therefore, you can sort of get the best of both worlds.

13. ectonomore White Belt

ectonomore
    During the last championship bout for the TUF between Team Carwin and Team Nelson, Joe Rogan repeatedly said that the most important aspect of MMA is wrestling. With how the fight ended between both contenders, the wrestler (the ranger guy) won via unanimous decision. However, most people who are just spectators of MMA and just loves the thrill of watching two men battle it out in the octagon, the fight didn't seem too exciting because of too much wrestling and top control going on but less banging and submission attempts. It did get the win though but less of an exciting fight I may have to say.

I personally prefer Judo to showcase amazing throws from the clinch that will sure make spectators go "wow". But technicality wise in MMA, wrestling is the way to go.

14. Ramsey Dewey Blue Belt

Ramsey Dewey
    If you don't know how to wrestle, you don't know how to fight.

15. dumykount Blue Belt

dumykount
    many top wrestlers have transitioned with very little other training into mma and faired well, i do not know that you can say the same about top judokas. that should be enough to help you make your choice

16. PeterPain Brown Belt

PeterPain
    Judo desn't rely on gi unless you are doing collar chokes.
    Works great for balance or clinch. I have a sick MT clinch from years of judo but...
    kind of wish I did some BJJ because Judo doesn't focus as much on transitions.