wrestling style hooks vs jiu jitsu

A couple years back I decided I wanted more elements of control in my jujitsu and started to watch a lot of wrestling, so most of my wrestling is self taught and adapted to gi jiu jitsu.

That said I have probably only taken the back in a traditional sense a handful of times since I started leg riding and controlling either the close wrist with an inside control or the far wrist by dragging it across the body and down towards the hip.

I don’t finish rear naked chokes very often anymore but I almost never lose a back and the ability to turn people to mount has gone way up. Overall my top game control is miles better after incorporating aspects of wrestling to my jiu jitsu and I specifically attribute my improvement in my back game to leg rides.

melanson talks a lot of thing, some are good, some are not, im not talking about this though.

figure 4 body locks are the best way to control someone, if you are aming to not lose the position. Hooks these days suck to be honest, people is too good at defending and turning into.
The only way I'll play hooks these days is Andre Galvao style---with the bottom hook in and the top hook behind their leg and pinching their hips with my thighs...feet together or sometimes ankles crossed.

Back