wrestling style hooks vs jiu jitsu

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
was listening to a podcast with neil melanson and he thinks if more bjj guys did wrestling leg/ riding they wouldnt lose the back near as much as they usually do

i think getting the bjj hooks are easier tog et to the wrestling hook is a bit harder and you need more space but has alot of control for mma anyone who knows both what would you prefer if you got to the position?

i like to get to a power half but its hard to catch at times

Could you please link the podcast, i am very interested.

was listening to a podcast with neil melanson and he thinks if more bjj guys did wrestling leg/ riding they wouldnt lose the back near as much as they usually do

i think getting the bjj hooks are easier tog et to the wrestling hook is a bit harder and you need more space but has alot of control for mma anyone who knows both what would you prefer if you got to the position?

i like to get to a power half but its hard to catch at times
How’s it harder? It’s easier

How’s it harder? It’s easier

wrestling style back hook you really need to have your leg in deep and hook your toes into there thigh basically bjj hooks all you need is the heels in when you get the back from that position i feel its just faster harder to get to not that its hard but its faster with traditional hooks but im not that experienced with that type of leg riding so i can only speak for my experience

wrestling style back hook you really need to have your leg in deep and hook your toes into there thigh basically bjj hooks all you need is the heels in when you get the back from that position i feel its just faster harder to get to not that its hard but its faster with traditional hooks but im not that experienced with that type of leg riding so i can only speak for my experience

Running legs “wrestling style” doesn’t require hooking with your toes. It’s the “old school” way of doing it. But most modern people who run legs actually don’t believe in doing it or only doing it situationally. Because when you hook you toes on their ankle, your hips are locked to theirs.

It’s also highly dependent on how and why you are using the hooks. What’s very underrated is putting a figure 4 on one leg while the work to trap the arm

Running legs “wrestling style” doesn’t require hooking with your toes. It’s the “old school” way of doing it. But most modern people who run legs actually don’t believe in doing it or only doing it situationally. Because when you hook you toes on their ankle, your hips are locked to theirs.

It’s also highly dependent on how and why you are using the hooks. What’s very underrated is putting a figure 4 on one leg while the work to trap the arm
i got kolats site for life it has some riding series i wish he had more info though alot of guys like to tripod in mma to stand up kelvin uses it alot to get guys off him so i wana get better at this type of back control vs fundamental bjj hooks trying to hold on

melanson talks a lot of thing, some are good, some are not, im not talking about this though.

figure 4 body locks are the best way to control someone, if you are aming to not lose the position. Hooks these days suck to be honest, people is too good at defending and turning into.

My favourite wrestling style hook is the crossface chicken wing.

i got kolats site for life it has some riding series i wish he had more info though alot of guys like to tripod in mma to stand up kelvin uses it alot to get guys off him so i wana get better at this type of back control vs fundamental bjj hooks trying to hold on
If they’re tripoding you have to break them back down first.. then put hooks in. There’s no trick to stopping a good tripod stand up

My favourite wrestling style hook is the crossface chicken wing.

tenor.gif

If they’re tripoding you have to break them back down first.. then put hooks in. There’s no trick to stopping a good tripod stand up
whatsyour fav way to stop the tripod? i like to gable hands and keep ym chest on there shoulders to break them down

whatsyour fav way to stop the tripod? i like to gable hands and keep ym chest on there shoulders to break them down
I like to power half anytime someone tries to tripod, personally.

Early prevention by getting inside control on the wrists and rolling them, or by chopping them out in is the smartest move IMO but sometimes they get too far along the tripod and you gotta go to the power half or switch to the banana split/spladle-type controls just to break them down.

But jack will probably give you a better answer than me, I didn’t start really studying wrestling until I was a purple belt.

That’s just a holding pattern. A proper tripod just putting weight on their shoulders won’t break them down.

The most important thing is not letting them seal off their inside elbow (the one closest to you, or the side you are on) and getting one of several grips.
1. Inside wrist
2. Claw
3. Half
You are also putting weight on them. If they keep their weight back on the feet they are out. Put their weight on their hands. Use hip pressure and be on your toes.

Then to break them down, the “high percentage” way is to (imagine being on the left side of a person in a tripod with your left hand in an underhook or claw, your right hand prying out his thigh, palm up) step in front and pull them down

This video shows the basic idea, I know you’ve looked at it. Like I said, no secret

That’s just a holding pattern. A proper tripod just putting weight on their shoulders won’t break them down.

The most important thing is not letting them seal off their inside elbow (the one closest to you, or the side you are on) and getting one of several grips.
1. Inside wrist
2. Claw
3. Half
You are also putting weight on them. If they keep their weight back on the feet they are out. Put their weight on their hands. Use hip pressure and be on your toes.

Then to break them down, the “high percentage” way is to (imagine being on the left side of a person in a tripod with your left hand in an underhook or claw, your right hand prying out his thigh, palm up) step in front and pull them down

This video shows the basic idea, I know you’ve looked at it. Like I said, no secret

one thing about wrestling is your not allowed to lock your hands from that position and refs position so with s and gables makes certain things easier

i like to do the first part of this where i lock my hands putting heavy weight on there shoulders and with my grip i try to get as high under there armpits if possible and use my forearm to hit there post hand to knock them back down kinda like how you do a spiral ride by hitting the tricep with your arm its kinda similar

It can be hard to tell sometimes when people ask a question, if they are actually asking a question or really asking for a soundboard to monolog off of.

one thing about wrestling is your not allowed to lock your hands from that position and refs position so with s and gables makes certain things easier

i like to do the first part of this where i lock my hands putting heavy weight on there shoulders and with my grip i try to get as high under there armpits if possible and use my forearm to hit there post hand to knock them back down kinda like how you do a spiral ride by hitting the tricep with your arm its kinda similar

You don’t have to lock your hands...

Back