Wrestling - stand square, or sideway?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You know in boxing, you sometimes stand with your shoulder to the front.
Real side on position.

Is that used in wrestling - ever?

I tend to stand with my feet square and wide, almost sumo - in a locked up position.

At distance, hips square on, but one leg behind the other, to lengthen the stance.

So - hips square at all times.

But is there ever a situation where wrestlers stand with their hips side on?

Post vids if so.

You know in boxing, you sometimes stand with your shoulder to the front.
Real side on position.

Is that used in wrestling - ever?

I tend to stand with my feet square and wide, almost sumo - in a locked up position.

At distance, hips square on, but one leg behind the other, to lengthen the stance.

So - hips square at all times.

But is there ever a situation where wrestlers stand with their hips side on?

Post vids if so.
You are being somewhat confusing, but yes, staggered stances are used all the time, not that many wrestlers use square stances anymore and if they do they usually shift to a stagger to attack.

Some exaggerate the the stagger more than others. I personally used a long staggered stance because I was a left lead lead and I could set traps, "sorta" like the Iranian stance just nowhere near as good. I'm at work so can't post vids unfortunately

But you also have to actually think about the question. There are reasons for staying square and reasons for having a long stagger, both give and have different options and vulnerabilities. I try to post more later but Holt will probably explain it better

To be more clear:

1) side on, as in, hips side facing opponent

2) square, hips square on to opponent - with either square/wide feet, or staggered/"long stance"

Compare it to boxing - boxing stance for wrestling, the way a boxer has his shoulder to the front with his other one "behind", relative to the opponent.

In wrestling - normally, both shoulders are an equal distance from the opponent.
"Square".

Is there ever a case for the "boxing" approach in wrestling??

I suppose that's what I was asking.

I try to avoid my feet close together as it means a high centre of gravity, which is a non-athletic position easy to get taken down; so they're always gonna be wide apart, or staggered.

To further clarify - a boxer has his feet "staggered", but relative to his hips, they're "wide".

A wrestling has his feet staggered, but relative to his hips, they're "long".

Does the former, "boxing" approach, have any place in wrestling?

The only time that I am even close to a side stance, is when I have an underhook, my stance would be more narrow; but still not completely side on. I usually use a staggered stance - with a right foot lead.

To be more clear:

1) side on, as in, hips side facing opponent

2) square, hips square on to opponent - with either square/wide feet, or staggered/"long stance"

Compare it to boxing - boxing stance for wrestling, the way a boxer has his shoulder to the front with his other one "behind", relative to the opponent.

In wrestling - normally, both shoulders are an equal distance from the opponent.
"Square".

Is there ever a case for the "boxing" approach in wrestling??

I suppose that's what I was asking.

I try to avoid my feet close together as it means a high centre of gravity, which is a non-athletic position easy to get taken down; so they're always gonna be wide apart, or staggered.
There are situations or tactics where you can, but in "general".. no. There's no purpose in having your hips pointed the other way, it's literally taking yourself out of position

Have you wrestled at all?

There are situations or tactics where you can, but in "general".. no. There's no purpose in having your hips pointed the other way, it's literally taking yourself out of position

Have you wrestled at all?

Fuck yeah.
I've wrestling..... many years.
Many - fucking years.

Only - I'm attempting to deduce the perfect hybrid between wrestling and boxing stance - for mma.

So I experimented for quite the while with the side on stance, as I found that a very effective evasive position for boxing - especially good to use the shoulder roll from.

But, it was hindering me in wrestling - except for the low single shot from far outside.

Lately, I've also been confined to wrestle at a BJJ gym - and them dude don't utilize proper wrestling technique, more some quirky hybrid, where they stand very upright - so I didn't have good partners to bounce my ideas off.

In any case - after much fucking about, last week, I started the square on stance with elongated or "staggered" feet - and it was super fantastic.

So - I guess, just getting clarity on that.

Back