Wrestling shoes in jiu jitsu

Fla graplr

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Thoughts on advantage or disadvantage?
I wear mine if i ever bang up my feet and want to give them a break. I find i am able to drive off the mat giving me more power and explosiveness. Like a signifigant amount more. I also like how i slip on sweat less as a safety thing.

People look at me like im weird when i wear them but who cares.

In a tournament are they legal? ( i know tournaments vary) last i remember hearing people say they are a poor choice is this footlock age because there is more grip and friction. I also favor leg lock positions. Could one tape and imobilize their ankes under the shoes to help prevent foot flection in defense of foot and leg attacks?

If you want to wrestle man go wrestle. Jiu Jitsu is strictly for real life altercations. Do you think you would have shoes on of you ever got into a fight? ??

All kidding aside I hate when my foot slips when I'm trying to upa or something pretty sure that's how I injured my knée the firest time. The probably are not legal in a tournament and probably for good reason. Might be in submission grappling no gi all styles but not sure

I know an old guy who has fucked up feet that wears them and another guy who has some kind of condition where he needs to wear them.

At my gym there's a former pro wrestler (he was the WWF Tag team champion when I was a kid) that use them, it just feels wrong in some positions like when your in his closed guard and you feel the shoes in your back, but he's kind of overweight so he won't be spider guarding anytime soon.

Personnaly, I use my toes a lot when I'm hooking something, the feet are also useful to ''feel'' the movement. I wouldn't use wrestling shoes unless I had a serious condition, I would even try to tape my foot before wearing them

At my gym there's a former pro wrestler (he was the WWF Tag team champion when I was a kid) that use them, it just feels wrong in some positions like when your in his closed guard and you feel the shoes in your back, but he's kind of overweight so he won't be spider guarding anytime soon.

Personnaly, I use my toes a lot when I'm hooking something, the feet are also useful to ''feel'' the movement. I wouldn't use wrestling shoes unless I had a serious condition, I would even try to tape my foot before wearing them
What. No way that's awesome. Who is it?

I think Pedro Sauer wore wrestling shoes with his gi when he fought Lance Bachelor.

What. No way that's awesome. Who is it?

Pierre-Carl Ouellet

He was in the Quebecers with Jacques Rougeau

upload_2017-9-29_8-18-35.png

The guy on the right, he's very cool but he's big, strong, and crazy fast for his weight. He has his own submissions techniques that no one else does at our gym. Last time he got to his feet, took my ankle and tried somekind of figure four leglock with a slicer in it...

If you want to wrestle man go wrestle. Jiu Jitsu is strictly for real life altercations. Do you think you would have shoes on of you ever got into a fight? ??

All kidding aside I hate when my foot slips when I'm trying to upa or something pretty sure that's how I injured my knée the firest time. The probably are not legal in a tournament and probably for good reason. Might be in submission grappling no gi all styles but not sure

I wish BJJ allowed them. I know it opens you up to ankle locks because it’s easy to grab but I feel it’s a step closer to realism without adding strikes. It’s more realistic and much harder to slip in a jailbreak etc...

In a tournament are they legal? ( i know tournaments vary) last i remember hearing people say they are a poor choice is this footlock age because there is more grip and friction. I also favor leg lock positions. Could one tape and imobilize their ankes under the shoes to help prevent foot flection in defense of foot and leg attacks?

I think NAGA still allows wrestling shoes. Aside from that, I don't think any tournaments allow them.

On the leg lock question, no.

I wish mat shoes were standard in bjj, or at least some kind of grappling sock. I hate feet.

Back