Wrestling shoes in BJJ

Quanntum

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
hello,
I used the search function but didn't see my exact issue so I decided to make this thread.

Essentially, I'm diabetic. And I recently had my first issue with my feet. I want to get back into training but foot protection is extremely important to me. I've been considering wearing wrestling shoes until I lose some weight and get my BG in order. Would this be frowned upon? I'm probably going to do it either way but is it something I'd have to share my reasoning for with my training partners?

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be allowed/accepted. Speak to your coach about it and explain it all; I am sure he will be understanding of it. Have you ever tried just wearing socks? or even rashguards that would cover your feet? Kind of like surfing shoes?

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be allowed/accepted. Speak to your coach about it and explain it all; I am sure he will be understanding of it. Have you ever tried just wearing socks? or even rashguards that would cover your feet? Kind of like surfing shoes?
Thanks for the reply.
I will look into that actually. I was not aware that was an option.

would something like this work? Anybody have any experience?

As an instructor I would ask my students to remove it unless they had a medical reason. But if there's a legitimate reason then absolutely I would have no problem. But you are going to have to explain it most likely.

That said, I hope your reason is not because you want to protect yourself from footlocks or something like that, because wrestling shoes really do not offer any support or anything like that. They will just protect your feet from mat burn and give you traction in certain positions, so if that's all you need then great.

As an instructor I would ask my students to remove it unless they had a medical reason. But if there's a legitimate reason then absolutely I would have no problem. But you are going to have to explain it most likely.

That said, I hope your reason is not because you want to protect yourself from footlocks or something like that, because wrestling shoes really do not offer any support or anything like that. They will just protect your feet from mat burn and give you traction in certain positions, so if that's all you need then great.

Awesome to get a response from an instructor and I really appreciate it because this kinda makes me feel better.

As mentioned in my original post I'm a diabetic who has not had his sugars under control the last few months. So keeping my feet from getting cuts until my A1C is back down is a huge deal for me as abojt a month ago I got my first foot ulcer. Which was really my wake up call to get my shit together.

Back