Wrestling Questions

Tony40

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
1. When in neutral, when do you want to be forhead to forehead? I read you want to keep the same head posistion as your opponent, but I'm not sure when to be forhead to forehead.
2. I read if your shorter then your opponent, its good to do lower attacks and to use underhooks to attack the head. Is that right? Do you have any other advice for wrestling taller kids?
3. When your opponent is in a really low stance trying to get you to reach, how can you score on them? I know you can block, but I'm lost after that.
4. If your in your base getting pushed forward, is it ok to post your head so you can hand fight?
5. How do you find a unique way of doing the same move like a half nelson from different positions?
6. I'm trying to research on what not to do in the top position. Does anyone know where I can find information on just what not to do? Thanks!!

1. When in neutral, when do you want to be forhead to forehead? I read you want to keep the same head posistion as your opponent, but I'm not sure when to be forhead to forehead.
2. I read if your shorter then your opponent, its good to do lower attacks and to use underhooks to attack the head. Is that right? Do you have any other advice for wrestling taller kids?
3. When your opponent is in a really low stance trying to get you to reach, how can you score on them? I know you can block, but I'm lost after that.
4. If your in your base getting pushed forward, is it ok to post your head so you can hand fight?
5. How do you find a unique way of doing the same move like a half nelson from different positions?
6. I'm trying to research on what not to do in the top position. Does anyone know where I can find information on just what not to do? Thanks!!
Are you asking because you or a child of yours is going to wrestle or are you a Bjj person

It depends. If you are most comfortable in close, then head to head is fine. If you are a better shooter from open, then keep your distance and wait for your opportunity.

Yes, low attacks are better if you are at a height disadvantage. Underhooks are situational as taller people still have leverage. I'm taller and never minded when people tried upper body stuff with me. I could keep my hips back and defend well. However, using underhooks and attacking the head (I read this as a headlock) is generally pretty low-level and won't work against better guys.

Snap to a front headlock and work from there. Misdirection. Get them to move.

In short bursts, yes but you don't want to get in that habit as you'll end up getting stuck there. If you want to use it to get wrist control, then work back up, that's fine.

Practice variations in practice. See what works and what doesn't against people who know what they are doing. In most instances, you'll find the classic way of doing it to be the most effective.

It's all situational. I was a leg rider. You might like the bar-arm. A set of guidelines is different for each moveset. As a leg rider, I never wanted my hips to be closer to my opponent's head than his were. With a bar, that's completely fine.

My answers are bolded.

Are you asking because you or a child of yours is going to wrestle or are you a Bjj person
I'm asking for my child. We're trying to work on his technique in the off season. It's hard though, because I'm learning at the same time he is.

I'm asking for my child. We're trying to work on his technique in the off season. It's hard though, because I'm learning at the same time he is.
Age, where or what type of program he did this year, what part of country and how did he do during the season? I’m asking to see how to best help.

However you can go to themat.com coaching resources and it has free technique vids and plans from A-Z

Thank you. For #3. Do you change to his level to get the snap down?

If he's strong by comparison, then he won't need to. Snap downs are most effective when there is either a strength disparity or when you perform it really quickly and catch the opponent off guard. Since he's already on the mat, you won't have far to go. My goal would be to snap down then work for a cement job/cow catcher/whatever the fuck you call it because it has 2 dozen regional names. If he's slick, a cement mixer/gator roll will work as well.

Also, Jack is a coach and knows his shit as well. He's a good resource.

If he's strong by comparison, then he won't need to. Snap downs are most effective when there is either a strength disparity or when you perform it really quickly and catch the opponent off guard. Since he's already on the mat, you won't have far to go. My goal would be to snap down then work for a cement job/cow catcher/whatever the fuck you call it because it has 2 dozen regional names. If he's slick, a cement mixer/gator roll will work as well.

Also, Jack is a coach and knows his shit as well. He's a good resource.
Thank you. Appreciate it

Lateral drop until you win, bro. It is the only way.

Back