wrestling orthodox

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
Iv been boxing left leg forward since i was 14. Then i started doing grappling, and was told to shoot southpaw. But i didn't wana change stances due to being comfortable in orthodox from boxing. So i decided to stand left leg lead, but it seems to throw me off shooting on southpaws for doubles, and certain clinch techniques I try to pick up on due to most people wrestling southpaw. Does anyone else have this issue?

If you're right handed and wrestling with a left leg lead it's going to feel awkward but if you drill it enough it will start to feel more natural.

Back when I wrestled I always started off with my left leg forward because I felt it through the other guy off and I liked to use the Russian tie on that side.

Just keep drilling

Iv been boxing left leg forward since i was 14. Then i started doing grappling, and was told to shoot southpaw. But i didn't wana change stances due to being comfortable in orthodox from boxing. So i decided to stand left leg lead, but it seems to throw me off shooting on southpaws for doubles, and certain clinch techniques I try to pick up on due to most people wrestling southpaw. Does anyone else have this issue?
Don't change your lead leg.. I lead lefty and plenty of othere Do as well. Look up bjj scout on GSP

Also.. work on your single and the "simple" stuff like running the pipe

Also.. work on your single and the "simple" stuff like running the pipe
alot of guys are getting good at defending the run the pipe so i find it best to go for a double or

run the pipe stops working as good at top mid pro level you have to go fast and know right away if they can balance then hit a double or barzegar as some people call it for some odd reason i saw frankie do something awesome off his double leg when they catch an underhook though ill post this is pretty cool.

alot of guys are getting good at defending the run the pipe so i find it best to go for a double

run the pipe stops working as good at top mid pro level you have to go fast and know right away if they can balance then hit a double or barzegar as some people call it for some odd reason i saw frankie do something awesome off his double leg when they catch an underhook though ill post this is pretty cool.

Yes dude.. I'm aware what's chain wrestling is.. if you learn to actually run the pipe it sets up other finishes like shelving and popping like DC does, or going Barzegar like GSP. Additionally running the pipe works just fine if you learn how to do it properly. If you're "terrified of having both hand occupied do what Edgar does and kneetap and be ready to come up with strikes if the single will be too much work.

Work on blending your striking with wrestling

Actually rep until left leg lead shots feel comfortable

Find a wrestling coach who doesn't make you lead with your right leg if that's what they're doing

Yes dude.. I'm aware what's chain wrestling is.. if you learn to actually run the pipe it sets up other finishes like shelving and popping like DC does, or going Barzegar like GSP. Additionally running the pipe works just fine if you learn how to do it properly. If you're "terrified of having both hand occupied do what Edgar does and kneetap and be ready to come up with strikes if the single will be too much work.

Work on blending your striking with wrestling

Actually rep until left leg lead shots feel comfortable

Find a wrestling coach who doesn't make you lead with your right leg if that's what they're doing
I seen Edgar and gsp both do a run the pipe takedown but one hand was on the leg the other on the hip I guess to chain back into a double doesn't seem like youde get enough pressure with one arm holding unless you times a inside leg kick and was all momentum. Ucf in Orlando said I can train with them whenever I move back I can't wait

I seen Edgar and gsp both do a run the pipe takedown but one hand was on the leg the other on the hip I guess to chain back into a double doesn't seem like youde get enough pressure with one arm holding unless you times a inside leg kick and was all momentum. Ucf in Orlando said I can train with them whenever I move back I can't wait
Uh wut

I wrestle orthodox for MMA despite having wrestled and done Judo for years southpaw. I rarely shoot doubles on southpaws, typically I'll either shoot a single or shoot a high crotch looking to immediately run the pipe (which you have a good angle for because of the stance difference).

What Edgar and GSP are doing (I think I know what you're talking about) is basically shooting a high double and instead of cutting the corner they're using the near hand to run the pipe and the other hand to help turn the opponent with pressure on his hip. Works pretty well for MMA since stances are more upright, probably won't be viable in pure wrestling.

How can you shoot a high crotch if he's southpaw and your orthodox unless your stepping off the outside of there lead foot and right hands going in deep I think a lot of guys are calling head outside single a high crotch but u don't shoot it the same u don't drop to knees or duck under a high crotch doesn't really exist in mma the set up that is most just go for it like a double in mma and do crackdowns

How can you shoot a high crotch if he's southpaw and your orthodox unless your stepping off the outside of there lead foot and right hands going in deep I think a lot of guys are calling head outside single a high crotch but u don't shoot it the same u don't drop to knees or duck under a high crotch doesn't really exist in mma the set up that is most just go for it like a double in mma and do crackdowns

Watch basically any Chris Weidman fight and you can see the shot I'm talking about, he does it all the time. Did it at least 4 times against Mousasi. Running the pipe is the usual finish, but you can switch back to a Barzegar if he's circling away from the pipe run. Call it whatever you want, it's a meaningless distinction. Shots in MMA look so different from shots in wrestling in many cases that I don't worry about comparing the mechanics all that much.

alot of guys are getting good at defending the run the pipe so i find it best to go for a double or

You mean, a knee tap? Yeah, they're pretty neat. Dom Cruz is very good at using them as well.

People are calling a head outside single a high crotch because for these purposes they are indistinguishable. Your head is on the outside. You are in position to either run the pipe, pop your hips in and sky them like D.C. it double off or release and punch like Edgar. The only option that isn't viable from a normal high crotch regardless of how it's set up in mma is going to the crackdown. Some people shoot a high crotch without touching their knee..

It's really odd how you keep asking something about something you've barely done then telling people what will or won't work

Btw because I actually am trying to help so you don't just get stuffed.. here's some basic instruction on the kneetap.. hope you're actually trying to get better

Watch basically any Chris Weidman fight and you can see the shot I'm talking about, he does it all the time. Did it at least 4 times against Mousasi. Running the pipe is the usual finish, but you can switch back to a Barzegar if he's circling away from the pipe run. Call it whatever you want, it's a meaningless distinction. Shots in MMA look so different from shots in wrestling in many cases that I don't worry about comparing the mechanics all that much.
I'm honestly on the fence about whether he's actually asking for help or just looking for people to confirm what he wants

I'm honestly on the fence about whether he's actually asking for help or just looking for people to confirm what he wants

Almost certainly the latter.

My wres
tling for mma is pretty damn good tbh thee isn't many men in the world at 170 who can stop my singles or doubles but I do have issues shooting doubles on leftys so was asking how some good guys actually do it

Almost everyone nowadays does run the pipe singles into doubles if they can't get the first knee taps work best for guys with long arms I have short arms sadly I think that's why Dominic has such success more than others with it

Well he can already take down everyone at 170... he already knows everything he needs to know.. I'd really like to wrestle him now to experience the greatness

Back