Wrestling/no gi advice desperately needed

judoka loca

Training to eventually grapple a bear
@Orange
Reaction score
I am a judoka going into my first no-gi competition very soon, and I have been training without the gi.The first things I did were learn how to adapt grips from gi to no gi and defend leg takedowns. I've kinda been trying to get myself into bad positions both on the ground and standing, but there are still some that escape me and have no clue how to defend against them. So I need some help.

- How do I defend against a "body lock" or double underhooks, especially from the back in a German suplex style? What I've been doing is sort of wrapping my leg around theirs, preventing them from picking me up.

- What are some of the more common attacks I'd have to defend against, standing and ground work?

And any other advice would help... thanks

I am a judoka going into my first no-gi competition very soon, and I have been training without the gi.The first things I did were learn how to adapt grips from gi to no gi and defend leg takedowns. I've kinda been trying to get myself into bad positions both on the ground and standing, but there are still some that escape me and have no clue how to defend against them. So I need some help.

- How do I defend against a "body lock" or double underhooks, especially from the back in a German suplex style? What I've been doing is sort of wrapping my leg around theirs, preventing them from picking me up.

- What are some of the more common attacks I'd have to defend against, standing and ground work?

And any other advice would help... thanks
If you let me get a body lock behind you.. you can try to shear out or a standing switch or granby. But joking my leg won’t stop me

Countering the double unders/bodylock from the front: Frame their neck/face with your forearm and swim for your own underhook with the space you've created. Drop and back your hips up at the same time to counter the pickup.

From the back: trying to hook a leg to prevent the pickup is a bad idea IMO, you're just giving them control of your hips. Instead sag your hips and walk your feet out, make them carry your weight. From there you can look for the switch,kimura, kneebar or work to break their grip.

MaxMMA already said one of the good high percentage escapes. The other is to put your hands on the ground immediately, and then try to viktor roll into leg entanglements.

A better answer though is that you shouldn't let this happen. As soon as someone gets 1 underhook on you, overhook that bad boy, pressure straight down towards the floor while shimmying your legs away like a skier, and start looking for either a hip throw or a front headlock.

Expect butterfly guard pulling. Everything is slippery, but it works for and against you. Watching for doubles and/or singles. Don't concede sweeps, turn it into a takedown battle and try to win it there since you have a judo background (most sweeps can be unswept with a drop uchimata). Leg attacks are popular these days. The tempo is more explosive than the static nature of gi.

Kimura trap! LOL. Shame that the name sounds like a gimmick, but it's good stuff.

Back